HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:03 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A partial LRT shutdown, other transit tidbits as OC Transpo heads into summer
Transit ridership is still lower than expected, but could bounce back in September with federal public servants then mandated to return to their offices three days a week.

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jun 13, 2024 • Last updated 1 hour ago • 6 minute read

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ds-into-summer

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 5:31 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OC Transpo says on-demand transit is a success. These Para Transpo riders feel left out
Same-day booking not an option for Para Transpo users

Anchal Sharma · CBC News
Posted: Jun 16, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: June 16

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...-out-1.7236437

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:41 AM

Yesterday at Blair, sign says bus #12 in 5 min, but I waited 45m.
So at least 2 scheduled bus were no show.
And the ride to Parliament was so slow and overcrowded,
because of course at every stop people had been waiting for 45m.

And with so many people waiting for the bus on Jasmine,
it's a shame the future LRT won't stop there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
And with so many people waiting for the bus on Jasmine, it's a shame the future LRT won't stop there.
It's even a worse shame that adding a station at Jasmine is pretty well out of the question now as well.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:03 PM

Frustrating that they put a station at the Montreal/174 wasteland but didn't put one at Jasmine to serve a dense low income community, arena, pool, library and high school.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Frustrating that they put a station at the Montreal/174 wasteland but didn't put one at Jasmine to serve a dense low income community, arena, pool, library and high school.
Was it just straight up classicim/racism. Nobody wants the problems of Jasmine to spill onto the LRT? Or is it just expensive there for some reason?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think if they were going to drop a station in favour of Jasmine it should have been "Convent Glen" in Orleans.

I can see Montreal/174 station as being ideal for bus/lrt transfer and for some future potential with the Canotek Business park. I think it offers more than Convent Glen does.

I think Jasmine has "fixed" ridership potential - by building there, they aren't going to "attract" any new riders to the system (I imagine that's the city's rationale). Maybe if the old Shoppers City East wasn't developed into Costco/Box Store mall there would have been TOD potential. But that ship has sailed for next couple of decades.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Was it just straight up classicim/racism. Nobody wants the problems of Jasmine to spill onto the LRT? Or is it just expensive there for some reason?
One could argue they were rebuilding the highway interchange anyway, so might as well, but the plan was initially to have the train run next to the highway until after the interchange. Can't prove it, but it's another case of classicism/racism (often corruption, but I don't think the word applies here) or utter incompetence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
I think if they were going to drop a station in favour of Jasmine it should have been "Convent Glen" in Orleans.

I can see Montreal/174 station as being ideal for bus/lrt transfer and for some future potential with the Canotek Business park. I think it offers more than Convent Glen does.

I think Jasmine has "fixed" ridership potential - by building there, they aren't going to "attract" any new riders to the system (I imagine that's the city's rationale). Maybe if the old Shoppers City East wasn't developed into Costco/Box Store mall there would have been TOD potential. But that ship has sailed for next couple of decades.
I don't disagree that Convent Glen should have been reconsidered. It's a low density area with no potential for densification.

There's little potential for growth in the Jasmine area, but certainly you could entice people not using transit to do so. In addition to what I listed earlier, there are the Blair towers nearby. There's a pretty big phycological difference between a station at your office front door and one that requires crossing a busy car centric intersection twice, walking a narrow sidewalk and then through a parking lot, go up two flights of stairs and go down two flights of stairs.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post

3 stations so close together there for sure isn't ideal. It lets a handful of people a day walk and maybe adds a shorter but less frequent bus ride for some others.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 9:05 PM

Video of Canada Day Bus Operations at Pimisi Station in 2023 for the 10pm FIreworks

This is a video of the bus operations over at Pimisi Station/Lebreton Flats area for the Canada Day 10pm Fireworks, including the staging of buses prior to 10pm taken last year (July 1, 2023).

(Note that the bus operations that you see in this video also applies to Bluesfest, except with less buses compared to Canada Day)

I expect the bus staging activities for tomorrow will be more-or-less the same as last year. But if there are any differences on how the buses are staged, we will find out after the fact.

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation