HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleRequired View Post
This is partially the thesis of San Fransicko: Why Progressives Ruin Cities by Michael Shellenberger

And Shellenberger is a lefty, that simply has had enough. I highly recommend the book.
Shellenberger is a pseudo-environmental Ayn Rand that argues the free market will eventually bring about positive environmental change through economic growth, which is far from being a "lefty," as you call it.

Just because someone avows to being a "progressive" before making bullish remarks doesn't make it so. I could write a book about legislated gun control and its value yet preempt it with a statement in the foreword about how I'm a firearm-owning member of a gun club, but that has no true affect on the validity of the book's thesis.

The whole idea of using San Francisco as a warning for a city like Saint John's policies is akin to a strawman argument. The cities are vastly different in population and demographics, situated in different climates (aside from fog), different political systems, and frankly if we had a fraction of the good transportation and equity policies that San Francisco has I think we'd be far better off. We should learn from the mistakes and best practices of others, without a doubt, however we should also listen to those who have made their careers out of studying - and also living - the realities of homelessness and addiction, rather than dismissing them based solely on the prognostications of those who would have us believe they can be experts from their armchairs.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
The whole idea of using San Francisco as a warning for a city like Saint John's policies is akin to a strawman argument.
Multiple cities, including SF, Zurich, etc have already gone down the road we are going down. The only difference is scale.

We have area911, our own needle park. We have e̶x̶p̶e̶r̶t̶s̶ enablers. We have a council that is looking to move the rot to stable residential areas, like belyea arena and so called green zones.

Can you provide an example of a tent city in Rothesay?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces