HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Came here to share this. I don't think this old, or if it is, I missed it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Kinda surprising that city council might legalize ADUs citywide next month. The ordinance seems pretty aggressive, especially that it waves all parking requirements for existing buildings if they choose to build a coach house. We'll see if the final version still has it's teeth. The only criticism from alders is that there's not enough being built on the South and West Side, and that the city should provide funds to do so

New Coach Houses, Basement Apartments Could Soon Be Allowed Across Chicago
https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/06...cross-chicago/

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Kinda surprising that city council might legalize ADUs citywide next month. The ordinance seems pretty aggressive, especially that it waves all parking requirements for existing buildings if they choose to build a coach house. We'll see if the final version still has it's teeth. The only criticism from alders is that there's not enough being built on the South and West Side, and that the city should provide funds to do so

New Coach Houses, Basement Apartments Could Soon Be Allowed Across Chicago
https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/06...cross-chicago/
"city wide" but in what zoning districts/classifications?

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
"city wide" but in what zoning districts/classifications?
The ordinance applies to all zoning districts except manufacturing and downtown, but downtown already has such loose zoning that one can build even a "coach highrise" if they wanted to. ADUs will even be allowed in RS-1 and RS-2 districts, which only really exist in places like Mt. Greenwood, Edison Park, etc., they just need to have a sign-off from the zoning administrator. So yes, ADUs will be legal citywide

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:49 PM

Quote:
The ordinance applies to all zoning districts except manufacturing and downtown, but downtown already has such loose zoning that one can build even a "coach highrise" if they wanted to. ADUs will even be allowed in RS-1 and RS-2 districts, which only really exist in places like Mt. Greenwood, Edison Park, etc., they just need to have a sign-off from the zoning administrator. So yes, ADUs will be legal citywide
do I need to have un-used FAR?

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:05 PM

Campus demolition at Loyola and Sheridan. Doesn't look like the new building is an improvement architecturally over the brutalist design it replaces.

Old Posted Today, 2:19 AM
Cap ou pas cap?

I haven’t seen a rendering of the building that’s going to replace the demolished Loyola building. Can you share a link?

Old Posted Today, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
do I need to have un-used FAR?
Nope. The only restrictions on the form for coach houses is a height limit of 22 ft and the amount of rear lot space they can take up.

Old Posted Today, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Campus demolition at Loyola and Sheridan. Doesn't look like the new building is an improvement architecturally over the brutalist design it replaces.
Have you seen a rendering of a proposed replacement building? According to Yimby:

Quote:
Once demolition is complete, according to The Loyola Phoenix, green space will temporarily take over the site until a new project begins construction. The University expects demo work to last into the fall. Plans for new development have not been made public.

Old Posted Today, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Kinda surprising that city council might legalize ADUs citywide next month. The ordinance seems pretty aggressive, especially that it waves all parking requirements for existing buildings if they choose to build a coach house.
This sounds amazing. Am I right in thinking this would mostly be used turning garages or space dedicated to garages into ADUs or is there some other scenario I'm not imagining?

Old Posted Today, 4:36 PM
Cap ou pas cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
This sounds amazing. Am I right in thinking this would mostly be used turning garages or space dedicated to garages into ADUs or is there some other scenario I'm not imagining?
I believe this would also allow basement apartments which could a) legalize apartments that are currently not in compliance, and b) allow for new basement apartments which I think could be even more impactful since I imagine it’d be cheaper to convert basement spaces to housing rather than new construction coach houses/ADUs.

Old Posted Today, 5:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ anecdotal mode:

I've worked on many basement build-out ADUs in the pilot areas over the past couple years, but only one coach-house project (and even that was just adding a second floor ADU on top of an existing masonry garage, kinda like the garage version of a bungalow "pop-top").

New-build coach houses are ridiculously expensive compared to simple little basement ADU build outs, which is why we haven't seen many of the former.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Today at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Today, 8:29 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
[typing this from Edison Park, randomly]

This is the first I've heard that RS-1 and RS-2 would be included. That's great news - frankly I was excited even when it was limited to RS-3 and above.

Getting an administrative adjustment leaves it to the discretion of DPD though, and I fear they will demand a support letter from the alderman before granting an ADU permit.

Old Posted Today, 9:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

This is the first I've heard that RS-1 and RS-2 would be included. That's great news - frankly I was excited even when it was limited to RS-3 and above.
Yeah, RS-1 & 2 are nice bonuses, but the big play was getting this into RS-3, which VAST tracts of our formerly not completely stupid city city have been criminally downzoned into.

It's obviously not as good as blanket RM-4 minimum citywide, but I'll still take it. Anytime the SFH-only brigade doesn't get their way is a good day.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development