HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:44 PM

like someone said before, this low-rise type building is screaming to be built along Balmoral behind the canada life parking lots. that's such a primo spot.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
like someone said before, this low-rise type building is screaming to be built along Balmoral behind the canada life parking lots. that's such a primo spot.
Love me some missing middle in established neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
if it really is screaming, maybe someone should water it. Why bother with bureaucratic red tape, when all these locations just need some TLC, and they will rise up in no time.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 8:27 PM

Quote:
It would be great if Canada Life could consolidate all their parking into a new garage on the east side of colony. that would leave almost the whole block between balmoral/colony/broadway/granite for development. Such a big piece of land going to waste right now.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 10:23 PM
surely you agree with me

When did Winnipeg get a cruise ship port? That’ll be good for the economy.

Just kidding. Great to see west Broadway continue to grow.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

When did Winnipeg get a cruise ship port? That’ll be good for the economy.

Just kidding. Great to see west Broadway continue to grow.

Haha that would be awesome.

I would love to live in a there based residence.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
It would be great if Canada Life could consolidate all their parking into a new garage on the east side of colony. that would leave almost the whole block between balmoral/colony/broadway/granite for development. Such a big piece of land going to waste right now.
It's crazy how much space cars take up. There's room for 600ish units in two groundscrapers along Balmoral (without even touching the park strip) and the west side of Colony (without touching that little triangle building). That's enough to support retail on Broadway and probably a unit or two on Granite as well.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 1:25 PM
What could go wrong?

It has been posted on here before, but here is why the land behind Great-West Life (Canada Life) was cleared all those years ago. All we got was the little triangle building.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It has been posted on here before, but here is why the land behind Great-West Life (Canada Life) was cleared all those years ago. All we got was the little triangle building.

What were they supposed to be? Offices? Residences?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 1:50 PM
the first stamp is free

If you look at that render, the only detail is in that large square building and triangle building, which were actually built.

The rest of the details (save for the glass atrium things behind the main building) are shown just as reference blocks without any detail at all.

My sense is that this is an early version of a classic Winnipeg bait and switch - with the goal of having a reason to demo a bunch of buildings for future consideration, and immediate surface parking. I believe the City has actively prevented GWL from extending the parking lot to Balmoral in the time since, leaving that thin green strip in place.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 1:55 PM

Those other buildings look more residential than office to me. Regardless, I suspect this is another case of WCB parking lot syndrome.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Those other buildings look more residential than office to me. Regardless, I suspect this is another case of WCB parking lot syndrome.
Yeah probably so. At least the WCB lot (and for that matter the MPI-owned one south of City Place) are publicly owned and if the province ever got serious it could mandate the crown corps to sell them off for development or transfer them to MB housing.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 3:52 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It really doesn't matter what they envisioned these blocks to be, IMO their intent was simply an excuse to demo.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 4:57 PM

it's crazy when you go to toronto and see how many condo buildings are developed/owned by the GWL/Canada Life residential property arm that they won't spread any of the love on their home turf.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah probably so. At least the WCB lot (and for that matter the MPI-owned one south of City Place) are publicly owned and if the province ever got serious it could mandate the crown corps to sell them off for development or transfer them to MB housing.
The MPI lot is still available from what I understand. It was first offered at the same time the MPI Carlton Parking lot was obtained by True North, but apparently nobody made an acceptable offer.

i'm not sure if people are aware that only half the parking facing Donald is MPI owned, the south half is owned by another party. I am sure it would be more desirable to develop that part of Donald if the full stretch could be bought.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Dominion Bridge

As the old Dominion Bridge complex disappears, has there been any reports of what will become of the site?

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:20 PM

Quote:
I'll preface this by saying I do have some inside knowledge on this topic. The WCB is a public agency (not a crown corp) and is not funded by the province (or funded via any tax dollars). The province has limited to no authority on the WCB to keep it impartial from the swings in government, although the BOD often reflects the sitting government at the time.

The lot in question will only be a lot until such time that the WCB decides it wants to get into the development game, which is extremely unlikely. The majority of the organization's staff doesn't actually have a parking spot, so that's not where the influence comes from. In reality, the income that the lot generates from staff and the community on evenings and weekends, subsidizes the community stakeholder responsible for WCBs funding, so the lot itself again, is not likely to be anything other than what it is for the foreseeable future... Unfortunately.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4life View Post
I'll preface this by saying I do have some inside knowledge on this topic. The WCB is a public agency (not a crown corp) and is not funded by the province (or funded via any tax dollars). The province has limited to no authority on the WCB to keep it impartial from the swings in government, although the BOD often reflects the sitting government at the time.

The lot in question will only be a lot until such time that the WCB decides it wants to get into the development game, which is extremely unlikely. The majority of the organization's staff doesn't actually have a parking spot, so that's not where the influence comes from. In reality, the income that the lot generates from staff and the community on evenings and weekends, subsidizes the community stakeholder responsible for WCBs funding, so the lot itself again, is not likely to be anything other than what it is for the foreseeable future... Unfortunately.
If WCB wanted they could do a long term land lease to a building developer for the lot to replace the yearly parking income.

Somewhere in the MPI PUB hearing documentation there is a line item reflecting the income from the True North lease of the former Carlton St Parking lot from MPI.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If WCB wanted they could do a long term land lease to a building developer for the lot to replace the yearly parking income.

Somewhere in the MPI PUB hearing documentation there is a line item reflecting the income from the True North lease of the former Carlton St Parking lot from MPI.
Trust me, this has been suggested. The WCB has no interest in being a developer or landlord. Again, unfortunately. The only thing that will happen in the foreseeable future is beautification and lot renewal (currently in progress).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan