HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 8:24 PM
Registered Ugly

But will we see ticket prices go down? 😅

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 7:43 PM

Two more days until the new terminal opens:

Quote:
PDX airport’s $2 billion reinvention takes flight
The designers of the Portland airport's new terminal, opening Aug. 14, create an environmentally friendly, technologically innovative space that feels like a "first walk in an Oregon forest."

On Aug. 3 visitors got a first peek at PDX airport’s new terminal, which will open for passengers on Wednesday, Aug. 14. Photo: Randy Gragg

From its earliest days, Portland’s airport—PDX International—has grounded its visitors in dynamic experiences of the local. As the first jets began to land in 1959, PDX’s homey architecture began with a new terminal opening like a front porch to a wide, ground-level view of the volcano you just flew by, or soon would.

In the ‘70s, the automobile approach—Airport Way—featured a corridor of chevron-shaped plantings of cedars spaced closer and closer as you approached the terminal. To those flying over, the design offered a landscape version of a runway, and to those speeding by in cars, it viscerally signaled drivers to slow down in a drive-by illusion of the Doppler Effect. As the trees grew over 30 feet high, the design won the American Society of Landscape Architects prestigious 25-Year Award.

When PDX’s passenger counts rose exponentially, roads widened, and parking garages grew, the Port traded in those kinds of external landscape experiences for the internal: the drop-off area’s arched glass canopy, the garage’s hanging gardens, and the Oregon Market, what was widely lauded as the first locavore airport shopping experience. Then, of course, there was the carpet: a kind of sci-fi postmodern pattern of Mondrian-esque lines and squares that didn’t so much evoke the local as create it, exemplified by the DIY t-shirts, mugs, and tattoos–and the fury over its removal.

Though many architecture firms have contributed parts to PDX, the overall experience has been shaped almost entirely by ZGF. (The 1987 carpet, FIY, was by SRG Partnership). The latest, the $2-billion new main terminal scheduled to open August 14, is a grand effort to completely reimagine what “the local” can be in the form of a nine-acre space processing as many as 250,000 people a day. In an intricate collaboration between KPFF and PAE engineers, and Hoffman Construction–partnered with global construction giant Skanska—ZGF arguably has succeeded while also arguably building the most innovative work of architecture Oregon has ever produced.

Hyperbole? In the cloudy malaise of the city’s low self-esteem these last few years, it’s hard not to want to break out the brass band for any blast of sunshine. But if you define the term “architecture” widely, encompassing sustainability, seismic resiliency, and construction logistics, the new terminal sets many important precedents. The design even purposefully sourced its materials and fabrication to maximize regional economic impact.

But before we nerd out on those features, many measurable but invisible to the eye, let’s enjoy what you can see: the light, the space, and the craftsmanship.
...continues at Oregon Arts Watch.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 7:20 PM

Phase 1 of the airport is now open. I've been enjoying watching all the photos and videos that have been posted to social media.

Looking at the new map, there's something I hadn't realized: various concessions that will open as part of Phase 2 have or will soon have temporary kiosks. These include Portland Coffee Roasters, Smith Tea, Portland Gear and Freeland Spirits at the north and Powells, Columbia Sportswear and Straightaway at the south.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
‘Just in awe’: PDX main airport terminal reopens with trees and 9-acre wood-beamed ceiling

For its next trick, Portland International Airport has turned its main terminal into a forest glade.

Sure, visitors may technically be on Northeast Airport Way on the industrial edge of the city of Portland, but the feeling when walking into the new main terminal, which was unveiled to the public on Wednesday, is that of being transported somewhere else entirely.

Now, the curtains that blocked most of the terminal from view for the last three years have been removed. Visitors are greeted by a vast 392,000-square-foot wood-beamed ceiling with 49 skylights, tossing down dappled sunlight, two massive screens showing changing nature scenes and what will ultimately be over 5,000 plants, including actual, living trees.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 2:36 PM

What is the final plan for the main terminal pre-security? I was under impression there would be food options (thinking of taking my kids), but on the official pdx map I only see two options: Portland Coffee and something called the Country Cat. Is there going to be anything else? These hardly seem interesting as a destination (not that I'm the target audience for taking kids for fun).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
…something called the Country Cat.
The Country Cat was a highly-regarded restaurant in Montavilla which closed in 2019, leaving the PDX spot as their only location. Their speciality is (was?) cast-iron skillet fried chicken.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:30 PM

Loyal Legion is located on the pre-security mezzanine (visible in the photo above).

There's also two shell spaces under the mezzanine that they haven't leased yet, probably because until Phase 2 and the new exit lanes are completed that area is pretty busy with passengers exiting from the new concourse connector.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Loyal Legion is located on the pre-security mezzanine (visible in the photo above).

There's also two shell spaces under the mezzanine that they haven't leased yet, probably because until Phase 2 and the new exit lanes are completed that area is pretty busy with passengers exiting from the new concourse connector.
Oh ok. I thought there was something else I think that must be it. I was able to search the airport map to find it after your post, just a bit confusing the way the map is presented.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 7:33 PM

Gorgeous space. I dropped off a friend from out of town Thursday, and of course decided to park and walk on to see everything. Just open, inviting, free flowing and beautiful. Nice little spots to sit under trees with your coffee or whatever. Loyal Legion was quiet at 7 am, but lots of nice booths and expansive views over the new terminal, or to the airfield. What I really love is the wall of bag check /ticket counters is now 4 islands, and the view from that area to the west to the tarmac and airplane action is uninterrupted. It’s obvious the project isn’t quite done, but wow it’s just beautiful.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:13 PM

We picked up our son yesterday and I'd echo all the positive reviews.

One thing that I didn't really appreciate from the drawings was how the arrivals work when picking someone up. Its really great be sitting in those flanking bleacher seats as the arriving passengers pop out of the corridor into the main hall. Kind of like a football player entering a stadium with cheering fans. Very smart design.

One tip ... we went early to have a bite at Loyal Legion. They were completely overwhelmed ... so much so that they had to shut off food service. Sounds like they under hired and did not expect that volume of locals checking it out. So, if you are going just to try the experience, you might want to wait a bit longer for them to work out the kinks.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
We picked up our son yesterday and I'd echo all the positive reviews.

One thing that I didn't really appreciate from the drawings was how the arrivals work when picking someone up. Its really great be sitting in those flanking bleacher seats as the arriving passengers pop out of the corridor into the main hall. Kind of like a football player entering a stadium with cheering fans. Very smart design.

One tip ... we went early to have a bite at Loyal Legion. They were completely overwhelmed ... so much so that they had to shut off food service. Sounds like they under hired and did not expect that volume of locals checking it out. So, if you are going just to try the experience, you might want to wait a bit longer for them to work out the kinks.
This arrivals location is only temporary, though I also thought it was cool. The permanent security area exits will be installed in Phase II and will be located closer to the exterior exit. Not as cool but probably better for passenger flow.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure