HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:48 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2024 in LONDON

Wrapped by the Thames on 3 sides, Greenwich Peninsula is a redeveloped community spread across 150 acres with new skyscraper residentials that will eventually be home to 34,000 residents. You also can't miss the huge O2 Arena.

The developer behind this project is Knight Dragon, which is chaired by Hong Kong property magnates Henry Cheng and Sammy Lee. It has invested some 8.4 billion pounds to rejuvenate this former industrial area in southeast London. The first homes were launched in 2014 with an elevated garden walkway opening 2019 to connect to a nice riverfront promenade that is part of the Thames Path. Redevelopment continues and is expected to stretch into the 2040s.

The waterfront promenade is well executed with a ferry pier on the east side that is served by Uber Boats that run along the Thames from Putney to Barking.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/london.htm

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 10:55 PM

It looks like a dynamic development so far, I like the pedestrian bridges.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 11:53 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Uber boat eh?

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 8:02 AM
Hong Kong

The IFS Cloud Cable Car costs only 6 pounds one-way to travel 90m above the Thames between Greenwich Peninsula and the Royal Docks. It opened in summer 2012 as the country's first urban cable car and features beautiful views of the Canary Wharf skyline from a different perspective. Under Emirates' sponsorship for the first 10 years, it has a capacity of 2500 passengers per hour, with the airline funding 36 million out of the 60 million pound construction cost. Technology company IFS took over the sponsorship in 2022.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:12 AM
Hong Kong

The Queen's House was built in the 1630s as a royal retreat. It was made available to court favourites and artisans by the end of the 17th century.

By then, the site in front of the Queen's House was earmarked for the Royal Hospital for Seamen, but Queen May II instructed architect Sir Christopher Wren not to block the Thames view, resulting in the beautifully-aligned axis we see today with the house at the centre.

It now is a museum that showcases a lot of artwork with a maritime connection, and can be easily combined with the National Maritime Museum for a few hours of exploration.

This portrait of Elizabeth I commemorates the failed Spanish invasion in 1588, and is one of her most iconic portraits.

The Dutch West India Company first encountered the large southern continent of Australia in the 17th century, and they competed to make globes that showed the most updated information.

Among the items on display here are scenes from Sir William Parry's accounts of naval expeditions to the Arctic in the 1820s.

Britain's maritime empire are on show in these folding fans, which women in the 18th century used to show off their knowledge of international affairs and trade.

The Solebay tapestry features burning ships, waves, and smoke from the Battle of Solebay in 1672 between the English, Dutch, and French. It was part of 6 giant tapestries commissioned by King Charles II.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 9:34 AM

booming, flourishing, exciting...good for it

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 9:26 AM
Hong Kong

While the Chelsea Flower Show costs an arm and a leg to enter - at least 55 pounds for non-members during the public access days - it is also possible to view some lovely floral displays for free around nearby streets.

Chelsea in Bloom took place between 20-26 May 2024 featuring floral feasts with botanical heritage and great food in mind. Many retailers have decorated their storefronts with dazzling displays. A walk along busy King's Road and Sloane Street was a bit stressful among the crowds but a very worthwhile adventure.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 4:17 PM
Hong Kong

A few more shots from Chelsea in Bloom :

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 5:05 PM
Hong Kong

The flight path into Heathrow from the east offer spectacular views from the City, past Westminster, and through the West End. These views were taken on a flight from the north during the early summer evening hour.

We entered London from the north and looped east for final approach. While it was hard to spot the Shard and the skyscrapers nearby, I could see the London Eye and Westminster clearly as well as the West End and used that as a benchmark to figure out my location. I guess for Canary Wharf, I need to sit on the left side next time or fly out of the City airport instead!

Looks like King's Cross station down there.

We crossed the Thames right above the City with the London Eye being the reference. Welcome to Central London.

I could barely see The Shard as we made the final turn.

Chelsea is one of the West End's most posh and upscale districts with fancy lowrise homes and unique shops geared towards the bigger wallet.

Across on the other side of the Thames, the Nine Elms and Battersea Power Station area is a huge redevelopment with a new Northern Line extension.

The vast Hyde Park is in the distance.

The West End is a vast area of lowrises and a desirable residential area.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 8:15 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Wow at Battersea!

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:44 AM
Hong Kong

One Tree Hill is just a short walk from Honor Oak Park Overground station. It was once a hill with a single tree where Queen Elizabeth was thought to have visited en route to Lewisham in 1602. Although the park is famous for its oak tree, the third planted here, I came for the view, which is next to a former military gun where the City's skyline emerges between the trees.

Not too impressed the hill only had a small spot to peer through, I headed back onto the Overground to New Cross Gate, 2 stops away, to find another viewpoint up a hill. This is a residential area with a grid pattern of streets and terrace homes leading up to Telegraph Hill.

Telegraph Hill Park opened in 1895 and is split into 2 parts, and the upper section is the one to go for the view at almost 50m above sea level. It is actually closer to Brockley Overground station though.

This area was farmland and pasture before development arrived during Victorian times. A semaphore station was built in 1795 for military communication, yielding to the hill's current name. Prior to that, it was shown on a mid-18th century map as Plow'd Garlic Hill.

This area was built by the Haberdashers' Company using standardized designs from between 1870-1900, showcasing middle class architecture with 2-storey canted bays, recessed front doors, and brick decorations. They were set on wide tree-lined streets. Nearly all the original buildings have survived World War II.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos