HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArbutus View Post
And another Sing Sing just opened in Toronto at Adelaide and Bay. I feel like every time they lose one, they gain another.
Seems like a fairly good concept for them, always busy. The financial district in Toronto seems to be where all the Vancouver founded chains are taking space. Global, Cactus (king taps as well), Freehold, earls etc.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Seems like a fairly good concept for them, always busy. The financial district in Toronto seems to be where all the Vancouver founded chains are taking space. Global, Cactus (king taps as well), Freehold, earls etc.
Absolutely.

I know some people shit on Donnelly/FH but I've always had a good time at Sing Sing on Main. Decent food, great beer selection, and the rolling garage doors make for a good summer evening atmosphere. Loud as hell though when basketball is on though.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 12:04 AM

Impostori on South Granville has closed. Too bad as the food was really good. but the location is just at the end of the strip and prices weren't cheap which makes it difficult in this economy.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 9:03 PM

It would be so much more appropriate if 950 Granville got a Pizza Hut instead of the "Pizza Garden" that is apparently going in there. Only because both KFC and Taco Bell are opening there, and Pizza Hut is the 3rd pillar of the Yum Brands empire, would be so fitting to see them all in a row together (Pepsi far as the eye can see lol). But all kidding aside, I actually do feel like the area could use a Pizza Hut, the only one downtown is way at the end of Robson. And yes, Pizza Hut is primarily (or even exclusively post-Covid?) a takeout and delivery venture. But still, people could put in an order and wait 10 mins, not that hard to imagine, and the delivery/courier business would be booming! In an alternate dream universe, Pizza Hut would open this location similar to a Fresh Slice and offer ready pizzas by the slice at the counter. Just imagine what a hit that would be, people love Pizza Hut even if they are too snobby or self conscious to admit it lol. What an unashamedly trashy yet perfect combination it would be to have the three most suburban restaurants all together in a shiny new building right downtown lol! But I am glad it will at least be a KFC and more importantly, Taco Bell. I always like a little dash of suburban guilty pleasures in the downtown core, not everything should be Nuba or ramen...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 9:10 PM

Some great news regarding the old Biercraft at Cambie and 17. First Elio Volpe opened in the old mechanics spot just behind the old Biercraft, but now a notice has just gone out for a liquor application at the former space (it has been papered over since it closed in Dec. 2022, but never had any lease/for sale signage, so never knew what the plan was). I absolutely love what's in the proposal, and since I live less than a block away and got the city notice in the mail about the application, I decided to email them in full support. I've posted the entirety of my email below, sorry for the length, but I feel like I will find allies in my fellow formers here haha, and you'll appreciate the support for something like this:

Hi there,

I received a notice about a liquor license application at this address (I live at 503 West 16th just one block away). I am thrilled to see this proposal, and am writing to give my full support. It was a huge loss for the neighbourhood when Biercraft closed its doors in December 2022. The Cambie Village is a fantastic neighbourhood, I've lived here since Nov. 2014 and I love it as much now as I did then. It is never going to be a Yaletown (food) or Granville (drink) offerings, but it has its own charm and neighbourhood quality. WIth that said, it has more tea/bubble tea places than i can count, and lots of dessert spots. But the last few years have seen the loss of anything geared towards drinks/entertainment. Yuk Yuk's comedy club closed in March of 2020 (pandemic was the culprit, but apparently their lease also expired). Then in 2021, Kino Cafe (a Spanish tapas bar that hosted flamenco dancing, comedy nights, and was a good vibe bar/cafe) closed. Again, blamed on the pandemic and capacity restrictions. But then when Biercraft closed end of 2022, it was the nail in the coffin, and the neighbourhood was without any real bar/pub or entertainment. Death by a thousand cuts, and for many people in the area, a huge loss.

The demographics are a giant mix of everything around here, but the food/drink offerings disproportionally cater to kids/families only, or a niche demographic (Yuk Yuks was replaced by a guitar school for kids, Kino was replaced by a high end steak restaurant, and Biercraft sat empty and papered over). The opening of Elio Volpe in a former car repair space was a huge score for the area, and a step in the right direction. But I kept waiting to see what was happening with the Biercraft space, as there was never a for lease sign or anything, just covered over. So I was delighted to get this notice, not just to see a vacant space brought back to life (which is always a positive for a neighbourhood), but then to read what was proposed, "the applicant is proposing to provide an adult-oriented cocktail lounge with full food and beverage services... Entertainment will primarily feature but is not limited to, background music, live musicians, DJs, dancing, and karaoke." I had to pinch myself, such a fantastic proposal for the spot, and sorely needed. And many others feel this way, even if they don't write it.

I know you will probably get emails from NIMBYs who oppose it on every count they can find (noise, drunkeness, too close to residential, etc.). I am writing to implore you to look past the NIMBYs who will undoubtedly oppose anything they think will be a nuissance, and will exaggerate the noise and worries about entertainment, and try to block the application. The restriction of not allowing music on the patio space is fine, and a realistic limitation for the area. But the business itself must be allowed to open and succeed, the community needs it. Neither Biercraft or Kino were ever a bother to neighbouring businesses or residential, people get scared for no reason thinking it will be like the Granville strip all of a sudden, which won't happen with a cocktail bar opening in this area... It's location is a mere short block from 16th, which is the southern boundary of the new Broadway Plan, where there will be a growth in residential and more. As it is already, there are lots of apartments all up Cambie St., as well as north of 16th, so it isn't a sleepy little suburb, it is very urban and dense (and getting moreso all the time). The corner of Cambie and 16 will soon be home to a very exciting new development (W16 by Olson Kundig), joining the large condo buildings on the other 2 corners of Cambie). Not to mention all the densification along King Ed (a short walk or bus ride away), and Cambie itself south of King Ed. The Cambie VIllage is the closest retail/commercial zone to all of this added density, much of which is younger people. It's remarkable just noticing the difference in how busy King Ed station is now. It used to be one of the quieter stations were not that many people got on or off. But now that intersection is bumping, so many younger people especially. Many are taking the 25 bus down King Ed, but still, it is clearly moving in a more urban direction.

I apologize for the long winded email, and lots of information that you probably don't know or care about, and understandably so. But I just had to give some context and background to this proposal, and provide an opposing viewpoint to NIMBYism you are sure to receive on this. I hope I'm wrong and you don't get any opposition, and it sails through approvals, but I am not that naive. I want this email to speak for many who don't bother to, but agree with the points. They don't want a total deadzone, they want an establishment with an appropriate capacity, vibe, and consideration for the area, which this proposal does. Please don't let it die!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 10:14 PM

Sounds like some nice additions to Cambie Village. I’ve always like that strip. Having the Park Theatre hang on there is great. I wish Cineplex did more with it. I can’t believe they really want it to do well, they must have been locked into something when they bought Festival Cinemas.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Some great news regarding the old Biercraft at Cambie and 17. First Elio Volpe opened in the old mechanics spot just behind the old Biercraft, but now a notice has just gone out for a liquor application at the former space (it has been papered over since it closed in Dec. 2022, but never had any lease/for sale signage, so never knew what the plan was). I absolutely love what's in the proposal, and since I live less than a block away and got the city notice in the mail about the application, I decided to email them in full support. I've posted the entirety of my email below, sorry for the length, but I feel like I will find allies in my fellow formers here haha, and you'll appreciate the support for something like this:

Hi there,

I received a notice about a liquor license application at this address (I live at 503 West 16th just one block away). I am thrilled to see this proposal, and am writing to give my full support. It was a huge loss for the neighbourhood when Biercraft closed its doors in December 2022. The Cambie Village is a fantastic neighbourhood, I've lived here since Nov. 2014 and I love it as much now as I did then. It is never going to be a Yaletown (food) or Granville (drink) offerings, but it has its own charm and neighbourhood quality. WIth that said, it has more tea/bubble tea places than i can count, and lots of dessert spots. But the last few years have seen the loss of anything geared towards drinks/entertainment. Yuk Yuk's comedy club closed in March of 2020 (pandemic was the culprit, but apparently their lease also expired). Then in 2021, Kino Cafe (a Spanish tapas bar that hosted flamenco dancing, comedy nights, and was a good vibe bar/cafe) closed. Again, blamed on the pandemic and capacity restrictions. But then when Biercraft closed end of 2022, it was the nail in the coffin, and the neighbourhood was without any real bar/pub or entertainment. Death by a thousand cuts, and for many people in the area, a huge loss.

The demographics are a giant mix of everything around here, but the food/drink offerings disproportionally cater to kids/families only, or a niche demographic (Yuk Yuks was replaced by a guitar school for kids, Kino was replaced by a high end steak restaurant, and Biercraft sat empty and papered over). The opening of Elio Volpe in a former car repair space was a huge score for the area, and a step in the right direction. But I kept waiting to see what was happening with the Biercraft space, as there was never a for lease sign or anything, just covered over. So I was delighted to get this notice, not just to see a vacant space brought back to life (which is always a positive for a neighbourhood), but then to read what was proposed, "the applicant is proposing to provide an adult-oriented cocktail lounge with full food and beverage services... Entertainment will primarily feature but is not limited to, background music, live musicians, DJs, dancing, and karaoke." I had to pinch myself, such a fantastic proposal for the spot, and sorely needed. And many others feel this way, even if they don't write it.

I know you will probably get emails from NIMBYs who oppose it on every count they can find (noise, drunkeness, too close to residential, etc.). I am writing to implore you to look past the NIMBYs who will undoubtedly oppose anything they think will be a nuissance, and will exaggerate the noise and worries about entertainment, and try to block the application. The restriction of not allowing music on the patio space is fine, and a realistic limitation for the area. But the business itself must be allowed to open and succeed, the community needs it. Neither Biercraft or Kino were ever a bother to neighbouring businesses or residential, people get scared for no reason thinking it will be like the Granville strip all of a sudden, which won't happen with a cocktail bar opening in this area... It's location is a mere short block from 16th, which is the southern boundary of the new Broadway Plan, where there will be a growth in residential and more. As it is already, there are lots of apartments all up Cambie St., as well as north of 16th, so it isn't a sleepy little suburb, it is very urban and dense (and getting moreso all the time). The corner of Cambie and 16 will soon be home to a very exciting new development (W16 by Olson Kundig), joining the large condo buildings on the other 2 corners of Cambie). Not to mention all the densification along King Ed (a short walk or bus ride away), and Cambie itself south of King Ed. The Cambie VIllage is the closest retail/commercial zone to all of this added density, much of which is younger people. It's remarkable just noticing the difference in how busy King Ed station is now. It used to be one of the quieter stations were not that many people got on or off. But now that intersection is bumping, so many younger people especially. Many are taking the 25 bus down King Ed, but still, it is clearly moving in a more urban direction.

I apologize for the long winded email, and lots of information that you probably don't know or care about, and understandably so. But I just had to give some context and background to this proposal, and provide an opposing viewpoint to NIMBYism you are sure to receive on this. I hope I'm wrong and you don't get any opposition, and it sails through approvals, but I am not that naive. I want this email to speak for many who don't bother to, but agree with the points. They don't want a total deadzone, they want an establishment with an appropriate capacity, vibe, and consideration for the area, which this proposal does. Please don't let it die!
Thanks for writing your support. Can you provide an email or a link to where we can add to the cause? I'm also right in the area and would absolutely love a venue like this. Was very bummed when Biercraft closed (notwithstanding how overpriced it was). I could have easily walked out and caught some Euro games with some atmosphere. Would 100% get behind a similar type of replacement in that spot.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 11:31 PM

Pizza Pizza taking over the pizza at BC place. I have had it once or twice it wasn't that bad. Do people out here hate it cause its bad or cause its from Toronto?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 11:41 PM

Because it's fricken gross. I don't know what ingredients they are using, but there is way too much salt in it. I bought a slice and actually threw it away after a couple bites. I'd never done that before with pizza slices lol .

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:48 AM

I like Pizza Pizza pizza - I sometimes get a slice at he Library Square location.
They must be doing well, as they are closed for a week for equipment upgrades.

I also like Uncle Fatih's pizza.

Not keen on Pizza Garden, which is what our office always orders for social gatherings.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 5:15 AM
SkyTrain Nut

At least it's not Fresh Slice.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Not keen on Pizza Garden, which is what our office always orders for social gatherings.
IMO Pizza Garden is great, especially the crust. Far closer to real pizza than an other chain around here.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 4:52 PM

The fact that we're comparing Pizza Garden to Pizza Pizza is unfathomable to me. My better half is a Toronto transplant - of the full-on, unironic "I love Chalet Sauce" variety - and even she's the first to say Pizza Pizza is disgusting. Every time I see another location open up I scowl.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 11:10 PM

Pizza Pizza isn't food. Full stop. It's cardboard with red paste and salt.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Pizza Pizza taking over the pizza at BC place. I have had it once or twice it wasn't that bad. Do people out here hate it cause its bad or cause its from Toronto?
It occupies the bottom of the market with Domino's, but Domino's is easily better. No need for Pizza Pizza to exist here. The dough is like cardboard.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I like Pizza Pizza pizza - I sometimes get a slice at he Library Square location.
They must be doing well, as they are closed for a week for equipment upgrades.

I also like Uncle Fatih's pizza.

UF is great. I like PG too but they have increased the price a few times and I skip it more often these days.

Ignite is decent too, happy hour deal for 2 slices and a beer is

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 4:25 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Papa's Gourmet on Main makes good pizza too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining