HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 18, 2024, 5:38 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I'm with you. For that matter, I don't know who would want to live in this area, either. Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I think this area is incredibly bleak and inhospitable. It lacks the charm and historic buildings of the heart of the Arts District, you're maybe a block or 2 from Skid Row, there's tons of truck traffic, wide streets, lots of fences with barbed wire, surface parking, no green space anywhere to be found around...it's about the last place in LA I'd want to live.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0406...oASAFQAw%3D%3D
That area between the Historic Core and the Arts District is going to take a long time to redevelop, but you have to start somewhere, and it makes sense to start at the confluence of where the Arts District meets Little Tokyo and Skid Row. That way it's at least within walking distance of the Arts District and Little Tokyo and from there you can start expanding little by little into the Skid Row and hopefully simultaneously cleaning up the neighborhood and making it more aesthetically pleasing at the ground level (deindustrializing, road diets, bike lanes, parks, ground level retail, etc).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2024, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That area between the Historic Core and the Arts District is going to take a long time to redevelop, but you have to start somewhere, and it makes sense to start at the confluence of where the Arts District meets Little Tokyo and Skid Row. That way it's at least within walking distance of the Arts District and Little Tokyo and from there you can start expanding little by little into the Skid Row and hopefully simultaneously cleaning up the neighborhood and making it more aesthetically pleasing at the ground level (deindustrializing, road diets, bike lanes, parks, ground level retail, etc).
Totally agree. I’m not sure why some comment just to reach and try to find something negative. I wouldn’t want to live in Long Beach…therefore I don’t go on other forums posting on why I don’t want to live or dine/hang out in Long Beach. It’s absurd. Lol

Old Posted Oct 18, 2024, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Sure I agree you have to start somewhere, but I find it odd that the 'start' is a huge development of 30+ story buildings and thousands of units. I mean seriously, drop in on streetview around this area. I've walked and biked it many times, and it's really shitty. Not even in a "oh this place has good bones but needs some investment" sort of way. More like every building would need to be redeveloped, the streets need to be overhauled, greenery and trees need to be introduced, the massive homeless community a block away needs to be dealt with...to go from that to a HUGE new development does not seem logical. Again, it's not the arts district or the historic core, where it's easy to see the potential through the grime. This industrial area is just an odd spot for such a large new development, imo.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2024, 11:38 PM

Quote:
More like every building would need to be redeveloped, the streets need to be overhauled, greenery and trees need to be introduced, the massive homeless community a block away needs to be dealt with...to go from that to a HUGE new development does not seem logical.
If the developers thought it didn't "seem logical" to build there then we wouldn't be discussing this project at all. Arguing that a change doesn't seem logical because the area needs to change does not seem logical.

4th and Central looks great, brings much-needed housing, and will be a game changer for the area.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 12:29 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Sure I agree you have to start somewhere, but I find it odd that the 'start' is a huge development of 30+ story buildings and thousands of units. I mean seriously, drop in on streetview around this area. I've walked and biked it many times, and it's really shitty. Not even in a "oh this place has good bones but needs some investment" sort of way. More like every building would need to be redeveloped, the streets need to be overhauled, greenery and trees need to be introduced, the massive homeless community a block away needs to be dealt with...to go from that to a HUGE new development does not seem logical. Again, it's not the arts district or the historic core, where it's easy to see the potential through the grime. This industrial area is just an odd spot for such a large new development, imo.
I'm honestly having a hard time following..... Little Tokyo market is basically touching the walls of the tallest tower. Beacon lofts (which were a big deal here 10 years ago) are right next door on 4th street. From the tallest tower northward on Alameda it's pretty much developed or getting developed. Angel City Brewery, the epitome of what the arts district is, is just one block north on Alameda (I've personally parked in front of Beacon lofts and walked to the brewery in just 5 minutes). So, I'm really having a hard time understanding where you're coming from?

You make it seem like its MILES away from anything, if it were the Onni Arts District project i would totally agree since that one is literally on an island by itself further south, but this one in terms of placement makes sense. Are there warehouses and etc. around it? OfCourse. But this being built will spur development onto those plots of land as well, more people in the area will force the city to do something about the homeless situation in the immediate area, plus property owners will have more control of the area.

South Park just 20 years ago was the same. People said the same thing "who wants to live downtown, why waste the money in investing" well look at it now...... I remember when One Santa Fe was built and nay sayers said the same exact thing, it ended up being full its first year. Housing is housing and a city that doesn't have ANYWHERE else to put it but here will attract people regardless of location.

Also..... The new Tokyo/Arts metro station is just a block away...... This is logically the best situation for that plot of land.

Last edited by caligrad; Oct 19, 2024 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 1:18 AM

Just got news that construction on the pedestrianization of Chick Hearn Ct from Fig to Georgia Street is starting and completion is expected by the end of January 2025. It's finally happening!

Now it's time for the City to get the convention center expansion and Gilbert Lindsey Plaza renovation going!

Edit - I guess this started a few weeks ago. https://www.spna-dtla.org/blog/chick...project-begins

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 1:32 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I get what you're saying but I just don't think this location is as bad as you're saying. It's not like it's in the heart of Skid Row. Yes, there are lots of warehouses and very little retail in the immediate vicinity right now, but like I said, it's right where the borders of Skid Row, Little Tokyo, and the Arts District meet. Sure, if this development were in the hearts of Little Tokyo or the Arts District, it would probably make more sense/be more appealing to incoming residents, but it's still within a 5-10 min walk so it's not like it's dead on arrival either. Obviously, some developer thought this was a decent enough location to propose this project and as long as financing is secured, I think it will still do fairly well. All it takes is one project like this and the rest of neighborhood development/infill should follow like dominos. It might not be a bad idea to expand Metro from Little Tokyo with a subway or elevated line down Central or Alameda as well.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 2:35 AM

I think it’s somewhat obvious. Initially the person says something to the affect how empty and desolate the area is, and how close it is to Skid Row, and that no one would to live there. With that being said, also post a link to how the area looks.
Then they comeback and say how they walk and bike that same street. Now I don’t go to the Arts District daily, but I do frequent Bestia, and at least 2 or 3 times a week SoHo Warehouse…I can count the times in the past few years I’ve ever seen anyone walking/biking that particular area.
I think you get my point! Lol

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I'm honestly having a hard time following..... Little Tokyo market is basically touching the walls of the tallest tower. Beacon lofts (which were a big deal here 10 years ago) are right next door on 4th street. From the tallest tower northward on Alameda it's pretty much developed or getting developed. Angel City Brewery, the epitome of what the arts district is, is just one block north on Alameda (I've personally parked in front of Beacon lofts and walked to the brewery in just 5 minutes). So, I'm really having a hard time understanding where you're coming from?

You make it seem like its MILES away from anything, if it were the Onni Arts District project i would totally agree since that one is literally on an island by itself further south, but this one in terms of placement makes sense. Are there warehouses and etc. around it? OfCourse. But this being built will spur development onto those plots of land as well, more people in the area will force the city to do something about the homeless situation in the immediate area, plus property owners will have more control of the area.

South Park just 20 years ago was the same. People said the same thing "who wants to live downtown, why waste the money in investing" well look at it now...... I remember when One Santa Fe was built and nay sayers said the same exact thing, it ended up being full its first year. Housing is housing and a city that doesn't have ANYWHERE else to put it but here will attract people regardless of location.

Also..... The new Tokyo/Arts metro station is just a block away...... This is logically the best situation for that plot of land.
Yea, I dont know why some posters have this need to spout hyperboyle. its hard to have a real conversation with them when they just go hard core with that shit. LA reddit is like this too, its really annoying.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea, I dont know why some posters have this need to spout hyperboyle. its hard to have a real conversation with them when they just go hard core with that shit. LA reddit is like this too, its really annoying.
Facts

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 9:14 PM
Paramoderator

Little Tokyo and The Arts District exist in a separate economic reality from the rest of downtown.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
Just got news that construction on the pedestrianization of Chick Hearn Ct from Fig to Georgia Street is starting and completion is expected by the end of January 2025. It's finally happening!

Now it's time for the City to get the convention center expansion and Gilbert Lindsey Plaza renovation going!

Edit - I guess this started a few weeks ago. https://www.spna-dtla.org/blog/chick...project-begins

This is cool!

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:37 AM

I am not trying to derail this thread but this is a good article in the NYT today about efforts to treat the homeless suffering from psychological illnesses in downtown LA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/20/h...sychiatry.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I am not trying to derail this thread but this is a good article in the NYT today about efforts to treat the homeless suffering from psychological illnesses in downtown LA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/20/h...sychiatry.html
Hopefully the new DA (seems academic now) shows a willingness to prosecute drug dealers, as right now they feel very little threat and they prey upon the homeless population.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations