HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:16 AM

Wonder if Harvard will ever develop that parking lot beside 201 Portage in my lifetime. That is a pretty slick render.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:07 AM

New Costco south of the Red River Ex grounds, near the city boundary with Headingley.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Wonder if Harvard will ever develop that parking lot beside 201 Portage in my lifetime. That is a pretty slick render.
201 Portage has been heavily reno'd and they still have a few vacant floors / partial floors. so until office demand goes up (will it ever?) I dont believe they will build on that lot. (I'm assuming another shooting next door at Palomino and many more broken windows in nearby buildings dont help the cause)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:13 PM
What could go wrong?

That Harvard project was a hotel.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Wow les.net is going to be moving out of the nutty club they bought the old syrotech building on gomez that could spur some development in the long run if he extends his fiber network from the exchange to spd
Besides doing the internal building config for the racks in the new site, that is going to be a fair size project to move his fibre connections from the old site to the new one.

I wonder if that means he will also be moving his Somerset Place site in there so the Canad Inns group can start their renovations?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:06 PM

Wasn't really a fan of the Ray Wan guitar proposal, other than that it filled the empty lot.

Harvard wanted to demo the heritage building at the north end of the property, as they own that too. City said pound sand. Then Harvard pouted. They also said if P&M were to be opened, they'd be more inclined to develop the property.

Until transit gets figured out, or when transit is figured out at P&M, I'd expect some more proposals in the east P&M area. It's prime land that's needs a kick to convert it from parking lots.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:37 PM

That totally asinine intersection at Portage Ave E and Westbrook could use a rethink as well. Hopefully it's on somebody's radar.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The City should put the BRT along the rail line and go through the Nutty Club building. Like they do in Japan and such. les .net is in the other building though IIRC.
Nope they're moving to gomez see my post above
Edit confirmed they have not sold but could be going up for sale

Last edited by 1ajs; Jun 13, 2024 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 10:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The City should put the BRT along the rail line and go through the Nutty Club building. Like they do in Japan and such. les .net is in the other building though IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Besides doing the internal building config for the racks in the new site, that is going to be a fair size project to move his fibre connections from the old site to the new one.

I wonder if that means he will also be moving his Somerset Place site in there so the Canad Inns group can start their renovations?
New site is gutted permits proces in works guna be a year long or more project. As for the fiber hah that's the easy part.i ran those lines ur talking about

Somerset is low priority for even looking at till he's got the building done

Last edited by 1ajs; Jun 12, 2024 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:28 AM

I still remember when that rail line from Wilkes running parallel to Kenaston through River Heights, than parallel to St.James Street was removed. It would ahve made a perfect rapid transit line or bike path for commuters going from the southwest area to RRC or Polo Park. However, the city immediately built a bunch of big box stores, and that was that.

And of course, they filled in the corridor that would have been used for the Chief Peguis Trail connecting Lagimodiere to Plessis.

But hey, at least they are building a ton of residential housing/rental units and retail similar to Seasons of Tuxedo, near the Red River Ex grounds, so not all hope is lost.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 10:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Already missing a branch and a few limbs. 4325686535534's landscaping is horrible. I get the whole industrial thing, but surely they can offer up more esthetics wise than endless black metal sheeting boxes surrounded by crushed rock.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan