HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Because so many people go to Vegas and some get nose bleeds, they think all dry heat is that extreme. Then they go to Ca and realize they're wrong.
I never have gotten a nose bleed in drier places, but I guess its not that rare either.
I think it's the dryness and the elevation that give people nosebleeds. I've also heard of people getting nosebleeds in Denver and other high elevation places.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I think it's the dryness and the elevation that give people nosebleeds. I've also heard of people getting nosebleeds in Denver and other high elevation places.
Ah, thats right. Ive heard the comments about Denver for that.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Actually you sweat the same in dry or humid air. The difference is that in humid air the sweat doesn't evaporate as efficiently and so you don't get the same evaporative cooling effect. That's also the reason why swamp coolers don't work very well in a humid climate despite their name.

Also, most Californians live along the coast where the air is moist and cool in the morning. It's a "dry climate" because of precipitation, not because of lack of moisture in the air like in the desert. For example right now in DTLA it's 74F with 69% humidity, with a forecast high of 89F with 37% humidity at 2PM. Much cooler and more "humid" near the coast. Moisture in the air is associated with cooler temps around here.
Definitely not desert dry in Southern California like it is in Las Vegas or in Phoenix Arizona. I was downtown Los Angeles yesterday and it was quite humid and it felt more like Chicago in the summer than anything in the desert southwest. For someone living in the desert Los Angeles can feel humid, although not oppressive like back east but slightly sticky especially from June until August. Although June is not really that warm our summers typically starts around the early part of July. We’re still in the middle of what we call June gloom so again it’s not really uncomfortable.

In addition I like to add that San Diego feels more humid than LA, we may have slightly warmer temperatures up here in the summer but it always feels more tropical and sticky along the coast there.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Aug 13, 2024 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Most rich people of metro NYC do not live in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Especially families with kids.
Yes, rich people congregate around big cities, due to jobs and amenities they offer, but they do not prefer to live IN them.
The richest people in NY metro do live in NYC. Manhattan has the largest concentration of billionaires on earth.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 12:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

It seems as though MFH in the US has both a rich & poor skew, with the middle class underrepresented in the typology, relatively speaking.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 14, 2024 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
It seems as though MFH in the US has both a rich & poor skew, with the middle class underrepresented in the typology, relatively speaking.
Yeah, mostly. In NYC all social classes live in MFH, from the top 0.00001% to the bottom 0.000001%. But I suspect the class least likely to live in multi-family is the lower middle to upper middle with kids.

In other US metros it does seems that multi-family is mostly dominated by low income. I know that's how it works in the Detroit area. But this is pretty unusual compared to major cities in other rich countries, where it's common for people from all socioeconomic backgrounds to live in multi-family housing.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
It's because of Zoning & NIMBYs. Higher density zoning is concentrated in areas that are either dilapidated or highly desirable.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 6:29 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
I'm the exact opposite.

Dry Heat literally feels like you are sitting in a giant oven whereas humid climates feels like you are sitting in a sauna.

There have been multiple studies on this that the humid climate is a way more healthier climate to live in, especially for the skin.

That dry heat dries our the skin really fast causing premature aging.

There is a reason why Los Angeles is the Botox capital of the world.

Besides, most of Texas has "perfect weather" for 8-9 months of the year.

Winters are routinely in the 70s with low humidity.
Los Angeles Basin has perfect weather 12 months out of the year. It is not a humid climate but it isn't bone dry either ("Mediterranean"). It is generally right in the goldilocks zone for not only temp but humidity. Right now the temp downtown LA is 82 relative humidity 56% and dewpoint 65 heat index 84. Houston right now 94 relative humidity 48% dewpoint 71 heat index 102. Las Vegas 96 relative humidity 11% dewpoint 39 heat index 89. Only time it is bone dry is when we get the offshore santa ana winds, which compresses the air causing it to warm and dry. This usually occurs in Oct-Nov.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:51 PM

Tell us you know nothing about the climate of Los Angeles without telling us you know nothing about the climate of Los Angeles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
That dry heat dries our the skin really fast causing premature aging.

There is a reason why Los Angeles is the Botox capital of the world.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions