HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I'm fairly sure that tunnel was briefly looked at and the costs and limitations far exceeded the cost of a new bridge. I agree, if the money was there it would certainly be my choice. Tunnels are very expensive.
Bob Ortblan says a tunnel would actually be cheaper. He has a forum on X about it

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Bob Ortblan says a tunnel would actually be cheaper. He has a forum on X about it
Not sure this guys credentials, but per an online search he seems to be a budget minded concerned citizen.

From my knowledge of the project is the tunnel was scrapped for more than just cost, it was really the difficulty (impossibility) of connecting to 14 in WA. Crap, that’s tough enough as is (if you’ve ever taken the exit to US14 EB from I5 NB). Tying to a tunnel is that much more difficult.

Old Posted Today, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
The bridge in its current state would collapse in a major seismic event, there is much more to the bridge's purpose than at-best a few thousand people commuting to where a single rail line goes. Trucks, etc.
A. The goal should be to get more than an "at-best a few thousand people" commuting; revitalizing the region's center--i.e., downtown Portland--is of paramount importance given how essential agglomeration is to efficient economics

B. Getting trucks off the road and putting freight on rails should also be a priority. We need to start viewing transportation holistically, and given the PNW's geography, it's an environment well-suited to being much more rail-based than it currently is.

Again I say, if we're actually serious about things like fiscal responsibility, efficient transportation networks, averting climate change, equity, etc., any prolongation of the current paradigm should be anathema to us.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure