HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Having flown on the VVIP Polaris and been inside the Challenger and King Air, I assure you nobody is going to miss the Polaris. I'd rather fly commercial business class. You'd be embarrassed that our Head of Government and Head of State fly in them if you saw what they look like. Their real value is scheduling and payload flexibility.
I flew in the VVIP to Bahrain and it was not a Taj Mahal by any measure.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:23 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
A former roommate's boyfriend once had around 40 bitcoins back in the day. He paid next to nothing for them but sold them for around $30 when he was convinced it wasn't going to go anywhere.
Not as bad as that dude in Wales that is digging up an entire landfill to find the hard drive he threw out years ago with 7,500 bitcoin on it.

https://gizmodo.com/guy-who-threw-aw...ump-2000512846

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:32 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Not as bad as that dude in Wales that is digging up an entire landfill to find the hard drive he threw out years ago with 7,500 bitcoin on it.

https://gizmodo.com/guy-who-threw-aw...ump-2000512846
I forgot about that! wow

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
There should be pretty good economic growth if oil prices don't crash. The price of precious metals is insane right now. Gold is at about $2700.00 U.S. and ounce!! And other metals are going up big time.

The big concerns aren't any surprise: household debt, incomes keeping up with the cost of living and housing prices and the shortage. Canada would only go into recession if the U.S. has a significant downturn. And if Trump wins then things could get wild.
Gold is going up because investors have priced in expected future inflation from this round of rate cuts and upcoming stimulus.

US 10 year treasury yield has also risen by 40 basis points since the Fed cut rates, again because people are pricing in future inflation and expecting interest rates will have to go up again in the medium term to fight it.

(Worth mentioning that Canada's 10 year treasury yield isn't following this pattern and has more or less stabilized at 3% for now)

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:23 PM

A cautionary tale from B.C. for Justin Trudeau. The virtue-signalling NDP govt will likely cling to power despite losing seats in Surrey with its large South Asian population and Richmond with its large Chinese population. Turns out they don’t feel any particular affinity for Liberal policies despite likely being admitted to Canada during Liberal reign.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/loca...y-live-7593995

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
A cautionary tale from B.C. for Justin Trudeau. The virtue-signalling NDP govt will likely cling to power despite losing seats in Surrey with its large South Asian population and Richmond with its large Chinese population. Turns out they don’t feel any particular affinity for Liberal policies despite likely being admitted to Canada during Liberal reign.

I was watching the election coverage and CBC interviewed a Chinese-Canadian MPP from a riding in Surrey. She explained very clearly that the average Chinese-Canadian is generally very against any drug-friendly or drug-sympathetic policies (modern societal attitudes in China view drug use as an existential threat, an attitude that has been maintained in Chinese society for over a century since the opium epidemic), and given that this is very much a wedge issue, the community was subsequently expected to tilt heavily Conservative, given the Conservatives' more aggressive stance on drug policy and the NDP's historical handling of the matter.

Seems cut and dry that one can expect the same trend federally, especially in places like Toronto, the 905, Calgary, and the Lower Mainland.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

You have to have been in Canada for at least 3 years before applying for Citizenship. I don't know know what it is now, I would guess at least 6 months to a 1 year to get it. So I think it is unlikely many of those Surrey voters came to Canada during the JT government.

The BC NDP has strayed from their roots to be more Liberal like that you would have expected from the NDP. That is a good thing.

Time will tell, why so many people voted Conservative. I don't think virtue-signally is high on the list. Perhaps promising to make mortgage interest rate payments and strata fees a tax write off for provincial income tax. Maybe plans for a skytrain extension.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

In the West there's been recent push to reverse some of the "progressive" policies of the left including immigrtion, drug use, LGBT, & even the environment. The BC vote is reflection of this. Ideologies move left & right depending on the times & the West is moving right & this is exemplified in the decline of left-wing gov'ts in Europe/US & here with PP.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
In the West there's been recent push to reverse some of the "progressive" policies of the left including immigrtion, drug use, LGBT, & even the environment. The BC vote is reflection of this. Ideologies move left & right depending on the times & the West is moving right & this is exemplified in the decline of left-wing gov'ts in Europe/US & here with PP.
I don't know this seems like a pretty strong confirmation that BC is pretty progressive. Actually strange given current federal voting preferences but the NDP have been in power for a long time and given general incumbent fatigue there result is pretty good. I guess this Conservative party is prety extreme as well helped.

Old Posted Today, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I don't know this seems like a pretty strong confirmation that BC is pretty progressive. Actually strange given current federal voting preferences but the NDP have been in power for a long time and given general incumbent fatigue there result is pretty good. I guess this Conservative party is prety extreme as well helped.
This would be the first 3-term NDP government in Canadian history, despite a vote split on the left and against a united centre right/right, at a time when the Liberal PM is extremely unpopular, the Conservative brand in Canada is very strong, and there is major anti-incumbency biases everywhere.

If they hold on and form government next week, that's actually quite impressive...

Old Posted Today, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
This would be the first 3-term NDP government in Canadian history, despite a vote split on the left and against a united centre right/right, at a time when the Liberal PM is extremely unpopular, the Conservative brand in Canada is very strong, and there is major anti-incumbency biases everywhere.

If they hold on and form government next week, that's actually quite impressive...
How strong a mandate will they have? The total vote count will not be known until later in October. The Green party ( minus their leader ) will have far greater influence than ever before. I don't live in B.C. so will that hinder or enhance Governance in B.C.?

Old Posted Today, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
How strong a mandate will they have? The total vote count will not be known until later in October. The Green party ( minus their leader ) will have far greater influence than ever before. I don't live in B.C. so will that hinder or enhance Governance in B.C.?
Well 2017 was also a NDP minority that required Green support to form government. We have been there and done that.

Much of the NDP mandate is in line with the Greens. They are both proponents of investment in social housing, progressive social programs, environmentally responsible development, etc.

The only thing that strikes me as being an issue for the Greens would be the NDP promise to pull the carbon tax.

To provide some context, in BC normally the right leaning party was the Liberals (rebranded as BC United). The leader of the conservatives was kicked out of the Liberal party over his denial of Climate Change. BC United then though they could not win and pulled their candidates so there would be only one right of center party. A terrible mistake. The Conservatives are far to right for BC and have some wild candidates that are in to conspiracy theories etc. I think many though they were like the old Liberals of SocialCredit parties. Once their MLAs and candidates are allowed to talk to the media, I think we are going to see BC voters sour on them.

I think it going to take the Green a bit of time to get their policy straight given their leader has stepped down.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada