HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 6:20 PM
Never Dell

That looked odd until I realized it's just those countries.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:50 PM

Springfield, Ohio has recently received a very large inflow of Haitian migrants (10-15,000) and of course the right-wing media has picked up on the story and is calling it an "invasion" of "illegals". That's not to say there aren't some significant challenges, since Springfield is a shrinking city of only 60,000 and has not built new housing stock in significant quantities in decades, but the anti-immigrant rhetoric seems to be taking hold and blowing things out of scale. Some of the Haitians have started trickling next door to Dayton where there are more housing, education and job opportunities and a stronger immigrant assistance network (google Welcome Dayton if you're unfamiliar with the city's efforts to build an inclusive immigrant-friendly city).

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:35 PM

Also a lot of immigrants from Mauritania to Ohio over just the past few years.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
4.1 million migrants: Where they’re from, where they live in the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...migrants-live/

Only notable interesting trends for California are Colombians in San Jose and other for Sacramento. Other is likely India.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:13 PM
Never Dell

This is probably just Latin America.

Since I'm from Seattle I notice that we have a tiny dot compared to actual numbers. That's why.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:24 PM

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:29 PM

"Cities and towns across the country that don't look very Canadian, and don't feel very Canadian."

What's the Inuit for "HA HA HAHAHA HA HA HA!!!?"

Old Posted Today, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
This is probably just Latin America.

Since I'm from Seattle I notice that we have a tiny dot compared to actual numbers. That's why.
No, if you look back at the original, it's not just Latin America. But it is only refugees, asylum seekers, and others within the immigration court system. I suppose Seattle has few of those compared to legal migrants.

Old Posted Today, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, if you look back at the original, it's not just Latin America. But it is only refugees, asylum seekers, and others within the immigration court system. I suppose Seattle has few of those compared to legal migrants.
Nitpicking here because I've seen this conflation way too much lately. Refugees and asylum seekers are indeed legal immigrants. Illegal immigrants are people that cross the border without permission from the U.S. government, or people that overstay their legal authorization in the United States. People in migrants camps are, by definition, not illegal.

Old Posted Today, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDipper 80 View Post
Springfield, Ohio has recently received a very large inflow of Haitian migrants (10-15,000) and of course the right-wing media has picked up on the story and is calling it an "invasion" of "illegals". That's not to say there aren't some significant challenges, since Springfield is a shrinking city of only 60,000 and has not built new housing stock in significant quantities in decades, but the anti-immigrant rhetoric seems to be taking hold and blowing things out of scale. Some of the Haitians have started trickling next door to Dayton where there are more housing, education and job opportunities and a stronger immigrant assistance network (google Welcome Dayton if you're unfamiliar with the city's efforts to build an inclusive immigrant-friendly city).
Who sent these Haitians to Springfield? I don't understand why a small city of 60,000 nowhere near a border would receive 15,000 migrants at once. Such an influx of population would strain Springfield even if they were all wealthy citizens. What support services does Springfield have? What housing or transit? That seems pretty outrageous to just dump 15,000 migrants in a small basically rural Ohio town.

Old Posted Today, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Who sent these Haitians to Springfield? I don't understand why a small city of 60,000 nowhere near a border would receive 15,000 migrants at once. Such an influx of population would strain Springfield even if they were all wealthy citizens. What support services does Springfield have? What housing or transit? That seems pretty outrageous to just dump 15,000 migrants in a small basically rural Ohio town.
My assumption (and could be wrong) would be that it was coordinated at some level with regional and state authorities.

TBH, this should be a part of the strategy for rust belt towns all over the country, to prop up economic growth. If all the white people are obsessed with going to Nashville and Austin, let's give somebody else a shot.

Old Posted Today, 5:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah probably, but that is way, way too many to one place. sheesh its craziness honestly. not very fair. immigrants and refugees should be spread out all over. i had no idea -- looks to be true tho, this is from last year & the year before --

Thousands of Haitian immigrants now in Springfield: 5 takeaways from our reporting

NEWS
July 13, 2024

Immigrants from Haiti have poured into Springfield the last five years, and the estimates grow monthly, with city officials now saying the number could be 15,000 to 20,000 new residents among a population that had numbered just under 60,000 prior.

The number of immigrants has strained city government, health care, schools, social services and nonprofits trying to provide assistance.

more:
https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/n...C6TGZGAEKE2JU/

from 2023 --

Haitian immigrants in Springfield face complex immigration system and long delays
Immigrants want to work but have to wait

https://www.daytondailynews.com/loca...DCSDXK6OMACPU/

Old Posted Today, 7:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I had to do a double-take when I saw the intake numbers relative to the local population. That's insane.

Old Posted Today, 7:23 PM
Never Dell

People realize that the 60,000 was just municipal, right? The metro was 136,000 recently. Still a big influx of course, maybe 11% over five years.

In terms of resources and jobs, they can also pull from the other three million people in Dayton, Columbus, etc., which are in commute distance.

To the extent the Haitians are allowed to work, this might be a major boost to Springfield.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions