HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
It is so shocking that council has such disregard for built heritage. The old library is a fixture in the community and forms a defined block with the School of Architecture and Saint Mary’s Boys school (1904) The combination of allowing it to deteriorate for years and then electing to allow its potential demolition is beyond comprehension.

When will this city recognize the invaluable assets we have?

Saint Mary’s Boys school (1904)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64470...5409&entry=ttu

Because they waffle about everything,…and then the problem is worse or drastic measures are the only option. They could have transferred the property to Dalhousie many years ago and we wouldn’t have this problem.

The track record of waffling is a long list:

Bloomfield
St. Pats Alexandra
Homelessness
Transit
Housing
Etc

This is what happens when people can’t make a decision. Is it the fault of staff?…do they not have sufficient knowledge and skill? Is it the CAO?…they can’t drive movement of any file? Is it the Mayor?…no extra power in council’s vote but they are paid to be the chief “cheerleader”?

I have had one or two councillors on particular issues such as housing,…this was early on and they deflected and said that it was a provincial problem. Deflection is the key thing that councillors love to do. From my profession.

They have been happy to deflect about infilling in the harbour. Unfortunately, they are wrong to deflect.

This is why I do not intend to vote for any councillor who intends to run for mayor. He’s a very nice guy and wants the best for Halifax,…but Waye Mason was one of the councillors that I mentioned that deflected responsibility for housing when I raised the subject.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
This is why I do not intend to vote for any councillor who intends to run for mayor. He’s a very nice guy and wants the best for Halifax,…but Waye Mason was one of the councillors that I mentioned that deflected responsibility for housing when I raised the subject.
This just adds to the long list of reasons to never vote for Mason. Perhaps if this was named "The Khyber II" he would have got up on his hind legs to make a stemwinder of a spiel for supporting the library, since he led the charge for great amounts of HRM tax dollars to be flushed down the drain for the decrepit old Khyber Building where he used to listen to music and do god-knows-what else as a mere youth.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:38 AM

Three years ago, this piece outlining the shameful history of HRM inaction and obfuscation on the Memorial Library lot was written by historian Leo Deveau and appeared in the Chronicle-Herald:

LEO DEVEAU: Plan for old Memorial Library buried in belly of Halifax bureaucracy | SaltWire
Leo J. Deveau

It’s now been over three years since the Halifax Military Heritage Preservation Society (HMHPS) hosted a community gathering on May 23, 2019, on the status and future of the old Halifax Memorial Library building and grounds in downtown Halifax.

The director of the HMHPS saw the gathering as part of our society’s educational and community outreach mission to share concerns and ideas for repurposing the vacant building, while respecting the surrounding memorial space and burial grounds. Though HRM councillors were invited, only one attended, but he didn’t even represent the area.
Related stories

Many of the over 100 citizens who gathered were surprised to learn that a large number of burials had taken place (4,500) in the grounds around the old library site. Many of the interred had originated from the Poor Work House (see location #4 on the map below), which had opened its doors just west of the site in 1760 for Halifax’s poor and destitute citizens. Subsequently, there were burials of prison inmates, along with the victims of epidemics and disease that took place in the settlement up to the 1850s.

Later, it was reported that anthropologist and archaeologist Jonathan Fowler had determined that the old Memorial Library grounds were in essence an extension of the Old Burial Grounds on Barrington Street that later expanded across to the parking lot west of St. Mary’s Basilica (underneath which lie over 2,400 remains) and going further west up to the Memorial Library grounds.

The whole area in fact is essentially a mortuary district — some have termed it the “Halifax necropolis,” where it’s estimated that over 20,000 Haligonians lie in peace — a peace, especially in the old Memorial Library grounds, that may soon be disrupted.

By 1882, the burial grounds had long ended being used for a cemetery. It was subsequently turned into Grafton Park by the province as a public space, and it, in turn, offered it to the city as a permanent lease with the caveat that it remain a public property.

However, in post-Second World War Halifax, with the lack of a city library, a special alteration to the 1882 Grafton Park grant was allowed in 1947 for the construction of a public library and cenotaph memorial to those Haligonians who served in the Great War, the Second World War, and later Korea. Construction began in 1949 and by Nov. 12, 1951, the then-new Memorial Library opened. Though it wasn’t officially reported, it was known during its construction that many graves on the site were reported uncovered.

Though HRM council has known for many years that a new library was going to be built (it later opened on Dec. 13, 2013), no effort was made to garner public input or ideas on the repurposing of the old Memorial Library building after it was closed in August 2014.

Earlier in 2011, through the efforts of many concerned citizens, the Memorial Library building itself had achieved a heritage assessment score (59) needed to declare it a heritage property. Yet HRM council failed to take up the motion within six months, denying the building heritage status. However, later, the matter was resolved and the building and site now has a heritage designation.

But lo and behold, in November 2018, a curious HRM staff report appeared — a proposed P3 development plan from Dalhousie University to repurpose the old Memorial Library site. It had been declassified and reported in local media, complete with architectural renderings. It was clear that the intention all along was to repurpose the old Memorial Library building and grounds for institutional purposes. Yet, there had been no public meetings, nor calls for public input, to consider how such a public site could be, or should, be repurposed for such an institutional interest.

Since HRM seemed reluctant to organize a public meeting on the old Memorial Library building and grounds, the directors of HMHPS organized a community event in 2019, hosted at the Royal Artillery Park officers’ mess, to share concerns and share ideas.

A report was later submitted to HRM. There was no acknowledgement or response from HRM to even discuss the concerns or ideas from such a community-based effort. It seemed like the city had a plan for the future use for the site — and it didn’t include any public input.

The HMHPS public gathering shared a number of exciting ideas on repurposing the building and site as a public space — from a performing-arts space, to an Indigenous art gallery, or even a virtual archives-museum site for the city. All were worthy of consideration. One attendee commented: “The city seems quite capable of tearing down statues, but has no sense of how to create a place to tell its deep and diverse history to residents and visitors alike.”

There was a strong consensus expressed by attendees that regardless of what exact plans might come to fruition, the old Memorial Library and grounds should be preserved as public land, respect should be given to those buried in the grounds, and if at all possible, that the building should be saved to respect its architectural features as one of the only remaining examples of neo-classical architecture in Halifax.

In 2020, HRM commissioned a Halifax Memorial Library Archaeological Resource Impact Assessment (ARIA) of the site by the Cultural Resource Management Group (CRM), based in Bedford. The CRM assessment was a non-invasive remote-sensing process deemed necessary prior to any proposed ground disturbances taking place. It was accepted by the Nova Scotia Special Places Program of the Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage, yet it has not yet been made public by HRM.

Now with the redevelopment plan coming to fruition and Spring Garden Road upgrades beginning, residents continue to wonder how much longer should they be expected to wait.

Leo J. Deveau is an author, speaker and commentator on public and military history in Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:40 AM

There is also this presentation offering a detailed history of the site which I found very interesting. HRM needs to be shut down on any demolition of the original building. The individual slides rendered rather small on my screen, but appear to have been captured at good resolution and so blow up quite well.

https://hmhps.ca/pdf/HMHPS-Memorial-...ay-23-2019.pdf

Last edited by Keith P.; Jul 10, 2024 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
There is also this presentation offering a detailed history of the site which I found very interesting. HRM needs to be shut down on any demolition of the original building. The individual slides rendered rather small on my screen, but appear to have been captured at good resolution and so blow up quite well.

https://hmhps.ca/pdf/HMHPS-Memorial-...ay-23-2019.pdf
Now that's taking façadism to a whole new level!

I always thought the Memorial Library building would make a cool maker space.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:11 PM

I do not like the idea of using just the front of the old library as a backdrop for the little circular seating area. It reminds me of pictures of bombed-out parts of German or English cities after WWII, which may have been on purpose, but which I find quite unattractive.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 7:48 PM

Ick!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Ick!
YGTBSM! Please tell me that's a prank and not a real proposal.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
YGTBSM! Please tell me that's a prank and not a real proposal.
From Keith’s post above: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=104

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues