HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Also Indians clearly are taking jobs Canadians can't/don't want to fill. I can't remember the last time I had an Uber or Skip driver who wasn't Indian. The fact that they're choosing those jobs over something like construction tells you what the real problem is - construction and other industries simply aren't attractive enough. The pay and conditions don't appeal to people enough, whether they were born here or not. You can bring in people from wherever the hell you want but unless you're gonna do some Saudi slave labour shit you can't force them to work somewhere if there are better options. Can you blame them - who wants to sweat their ass off and destroy their body working construction all day when you can drive around delivering sushi at your own convenience for a bit less money and have the flexibility to go to school at the same time?

I'm afraid you're only aware of half the full picture here.

First problem is that you're right: Canadians don't want the jobs that Indians are taking. If that were all there were to it, there would be no problem. However, there is a HUGE problem with it because of why those jobs are unwanted. They're unwanted because they don't pay nearly enough to live on. That people are taking those jobs is what keeps the wages so low. The net effect of this is that we're not getting immigrants, we're getting their countries of origin. We see this every day with the further erosion of the middle class.

The second issue here is that there's an old and well-known phenomenon at play: ex-Indians take advantage of new Indians in Canada. It's the same for all nationalities but because of the current situation this is about Indians.

Ethnic Indians tell the feds that nobody will work for them. The feds (and we'll assume there's no corruption at play) say, "Oh! That's terrible. Well, let's let you import all the people you need" But it doesn't end there. No. These Indo-Canadian bosses buy a house. They tell their marks in India that if they come work for them in Canada, they'll have a place to stay and a job. So some poor sucker in India winds up working for slave wages and paying exorbitant rent for space in a small house he has to share with 9 other people. And you can forget about the boss observing Canadian law: What's "overtime"? What's a fire code? What's paid time off? "Well, in any case, those things don't apply to you because you're not Canadian."

It's a scam all around for the overwhelming majority of Indian TFWs and Canadian citizens. It's not as simple as saying, "Well, Canadians don't want those jobs so why not let Indians do them?"

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Ooof. This is kinda the point isn't it. It's not a choice or a "lifestyle" that one "adopts". It's just who some people are. If your religion doesn't "agree" with people literally just being who they are that's bigotry plain and simple. Replace LGBTQ people with another group to see how troubling this is. "Blacks can live their lives any way they see fit, we love them even if we don't agree with their lifestyle."

You're also being pretty disingenuous. Are you really gonna pretend there isn't a Christian-led movement calling LGBTQ pedophiles and groomers every chance they get? Are we just gonna pretend the pride events in Manitoba's bible belt aren't frequently dealing with threats and vandalism?

Also your desperate need to be a victim here is cringe.
So you are essentially telling me I have to walk in pride parades, wave flags around and shout from the rooftops how much I love gay people and their lifestyle. Yeah no, I don't have to accept anyone's lifestyle and life choices. I can love and respect them for who they are as individual people. Nor do they have to accept my lifestyle, it works both ways.

And if you are going to get all self-righteous about religious people, then you had better go and lecture all the Muslims, Hindus and other religious groups coming to the country in spades who don't accept homosexuality, transgender and other types of lifestyles. I would love to see those conversations play out.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Jun 22, 2024 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
All your comments don't speak to the need to limit Indian immigrants. Your points about needing to more appropriately target certain sectors may be valid but aren't a reason to limit where we get those particular immigrants to meet that need. That's a policy issue, not a country of origin issue.
Yes it does if we value deiversity.

Quote:
India is the most populated country in the world and a developing country. It makes sense that they would make up the lions share of immigration to a developed country. Similar to the large influx of Philipino's, Africans.
[/QUOTE]

SO Canadas demographics must reflect the globes demographics? That is a poor argument. Currently the influx is not of Africans. Indians out number all immigrants to Canada and its not even close. Even more so when you look at students coming in.

Quote:
We aren't going to see big numbers of Brits, French or Swiss moving here because there is no major incentive to relocate from a prosperous country.
Weird examples and no one is saying we should have more people from those countries.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah I don't really understand why it would matter if immigrants largely come from 2 or 3 places or why you would arbitrarily try to get people from a bunch of different countries instead of just looking at the individual. Why does their origin matter other than some underlying xenophobia or "replacement" type thinking. We've always had enclaves and waves of immigration concentrated from certain places even going back to the pre-war period with Irish and Chinese people coming here.
I knew some body was going to throw out these ridicilous accusations. Infact Canadas current system does favor some and those that are viewed as "model minorities" and excludes others. It does matter if we are pulling people from one or two places. But right now it is one.

Quote:
Also Indians clearly are taking jobs Canadians can't/don't want to fill. I can't remember the last time I had an Uber or Skip driver who wasn't Indian. The fact that they're choosing those jobs over something like construction tells you what the real problem is - construction and other industries simply aren't attractive enough.
Yet contruction workers make more than delivery drivers. You would think in the middle of a housing crisis, getting enough contruction workers would be a priority for government of all levels.

Quote:
The pay and conditions don't appeal to people enough, whether they were born here or not. You can bring in people from wherever the hell you want but unless you're gonna do some Saudi slave labour shit you can't force them to work somewhere if there are better options. Can you blame them - who wants to sweat their ass off and destroy their body working construction all day when you can drive around delivering sushi at your own convenience for a bit less money and have the flexibility to go to school at the same time?
[/QUOTE]

Your sheltered white privilege is showing. There are literally millions of people around the globe that would love to work in a comfortable constructions job in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:41 AM

Quote:
And there is about 80% of what is wrong with modern society lol. Rushing into a moral panic & hysteria over some cherry-picked story on the internet about some small town somewhere. The entire state of Florida has essentially banned any pride displays and to my knowledge their gov't is not Muslim lol.

White Christians are by far the biggest threat to LGBTQ rights in the West today, this is nothing but xenophobia.
This is such an ignorant comment. White christians specially protestants are the most tolerant and accepting religion of lgbtw. You clearly have no clue what youre talking about. Just look at angelican, united, presbyterian churches etc etc... they ARE ALL very accepting of lgbtc. Trying reading what the official stance of the Anglican church or the united church of Canada is on these issues before you run your mouth.

Most Christians coming into Canada these days are not even white but african, filipino and there is a very small nuber of Latinos here but they are not white. You are a bigot a hypocite and prvileged white liberal that has absolutely no clue wtf they're tlaking about.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Let’s look at what’s happening to Jewish Canadians right now with increasing attacks on their community. Are you really gonna pretend there isn’t a large presence of Muslim people in Canada who think it’s okay to make life hell for Jewish Canadians right now? But tell me more about how bad the evil Christian’s are.

This is Canada we are not allowed to call out Muslims, only Christians. Muslims, SIkhs are perfect and can do no wrong.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:19 AM

n/m

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
This is such an ignorant comment. White christians specially protestants are the most tolerant and accepting religion of lgbtw. You clearly have no clue what youre talking about. Just look at angelican, united, presbyterian churches etc etc... they ARE ALL very accepting of lgbtc. Trying reading what the official stance of the Anglican church or the united church of Canada is on these issues before you run your mouth.

Most Christians coming into Canada these days are not even white but african, filipino and there is a very small nuber of Latinos here but they are not white. You are a bigot a hypocite and prvileged white liberal that has absolutely no clue wtf they're tlaking about.
Haters gonna hate...

Last edited by BlackDog204; Jun 22, 2024 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:30 AM

Do people on SSP not know that most construction workers on SFHs are East Indian? Like the vast majority. Like, WASP Canadians are #5 on the list. I don't understand why people think white people build houses. They do not.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Do people on SSP not know that most construction workers on SFHs are East Indian? Like the vast majority. Like, WASP Canadians are #5 on the list. I don't understand why people think white people build houses. They do not.
Believe it or not, White people build houses.

Why even post such a ridiculous statement?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
The vast majority of construction workers are not east indian. That is simply a false statement. And wtf is your point about wasps?? Why are you even bringing that up?

The point is we have a unprecented levels of people coming in. We have a serious housing crisis in this country. We are told that we need to build more homes but we don't have people to build these homes. Considering the amount of people coming in there shouldn't be a shortage of construction workers. Indians are NOT going into construction.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Believe it or not, White people build houses.

Why even post such a ridiculous statement?
I posted it because it seemed that some people felt that immigrants were not being absorbed in to construction jobs. But I disagree based on my experience. Why do you care to know?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 7:50 PM

Well considering around 2% of immigrants to the country enter the construction industry, I’d say your point is moot.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ction-housing/

And statistically over half of construction workers in Canada are white. So white people do build houses.

And calling people WASPs is derogatory.

Also my brother works in the home building industry. He works for one of the best home builders in the province. They often get calls to repair things installed by unskilled immigrants passing themselves off as tradespeople. It’s actually becoming a real problem since they’re now building entire homes without qualifications. Unlevel floors, and walls, improper vapour barrier installation causing rot and mold. Lots of fun stuff.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 8:35 PM

^^I had no idea the term WASP is derogatory. Sorry.
Is 2% more or less than the rate for the general population?

I never said white people don't build houses. I did exaggerate when I said "most" and "vast majority" are East Indian.

So you're saying that immigrants don't usually build houses, but when they do, they do a bad job of it? Just kidding. I actually know what you meant.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan