HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Today, 7:07 PM

Chuck Schumer appears to be a very clear proponent of congestion pricing. Hopefully he can put pressure on Gridlock Kathy to follow the law:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2024/06/...ver-up-edition

Old Posted Today, 8:07 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Not in this case. The roads purposely funnel people from Long Island into NYC. Even if you are not going into NYC, you MUST drive through it to get anywhere else. So yes, it would help creating a bypass for these people. Its simply artificial congestion. And no, congestion in all of these cities is not the same. About 8 million people live on Long Island, there is no reason why they (along with all of the trucks/deliveries to the island) have to get funneled through NYC.
The only part of NYC with the proposed congestion charge is Manhattan below Central Park and it doesn't apply to the bridges, tunnels or expressways. So the expressways all act as a by-pass as do the VN and RFK bridges. So congestion is not caused by Long Islanders using central Manhattan surface streets to travel to other places.

And I never suggested that the congestion in all cities is "the same"; just that in large cities the demand - from one cause/source or another - is always too much to satisfy meaning there will always be congestion unless there are restrictions like tolls. Whether or not the congestion has different origins is irrelevant to that fact. So pretending that one can just solve it by building more capacity or bypasses or make it flow more smoothly just turns one into the Wiley Coyote of traffic engineering. "Oh, I know, I'll try this!" **comically backfires** Ok, well this time I've got it; I'll try THIS!!" **also spectacularly backfires** And so on and so forth lol.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation