HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
The trees are a sad case. They don't really have a chance getting brined in road salt. And the city likes to claim they plant x00 trees a year more than they like actually taking care of any trees. The Osborne sidewalks are so narrow anyway that there isn't really room for them.

But on that note, do any of you ever play around with streetmix?

I know we've talked a lot about how Osborne needs to be less of a traffic sewer if it's going to be a better street--and that's a tough problem politically--but I still think it's worth envisioning what Osborne could look like.

Something like this:
https://streetmix.net/-/2701397
Streetmix is lots of fun! I think a 3-lane design makes sense, with alternating turn lanes and parking lanes. I think for Osborne St, it would make sense to have extra wide sidewalks, with some patio seating, instead of a bike lane. I would like to see the main north-south bike lane through Osborne Village go on Nassau St. That way it connects with the east-west bike route ("neighbourhood greenway") on Warsaw Ave. Plus there's already a one-way bike lane on Nassau south of Gertrude Ave, so it seems reasonable to extend some sort of bike infrastructure all the way to River Ave.

Also, the city really needs to build that pedestrian/cycling bridge between Fort Rouge Park and McFayden Park. That was proposed like what, 6 years ago?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 10:24 PM

work currently underway on the former gas station lot south of the main bus depot on south osborne. they pulled all the fence posts out and are digging around/chopping the bushes down.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
work currently underway on the former gas station lot south of the main bus depot on south osborne. they pulled all the fence posts out and are digging around/chopping the bushes down.
Aren’t they unfortunately just turning it into a parking lot for transit employees?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 12:51 AM

Bike path extension

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 1:34 AM

Across one lot?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tall Forehead View Post
Across one lot?
To keep people off the busy road down the map route to downtown from the university.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 1:51 AM

that would be a good little extension to the path!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:07 PM

There was a post somewhere on here about it. The City issued a construction notice noting the pathway works.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tall Forehead View Post
Across one lot?
That one lot connects the path that runs along the Red with the path that runs from Woodward Ave and then along the transitway. Right now there's one block where you either take the sidewalk or jump into traffic on Osborne.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
That one lot connects the path that runs along the Red with the path that runs from Woodward Ave and then along the transitway. Right now there's one block where you either take the sidewalk or jump into traffic on Osborne.
Well that's good news! I haven't biked down there for a couple of years but I do remember it being challenging getting from the transitway path to the river trail. Seem to recall having to take a back lane on the west side of Osborne.

I also recall there being a gap in the river trail from Churchill Drive to about Togo or Glasgow. There were (are?) some fun trails down there!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 4:36 AM

TrueViking, not sure if you can say but how's leasing of CRUs going in Osborne Terraces? Any takers so far that you're aware of?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 11:39 PM

Found this interesting, someone wants to convert the property at 309 Wardlaw Ave (an old house right beside Donald) from an office into a tattoo studio. Okay seems like no big deal. But apparently the City registered a caveat against the property in 1986 preventing the property from ever being used as anything other than an office. Which is just ridiculous, considering that the property used to be single-family house. Like why would be City be so against someone converting it back into a house? I see these caveats from the 80's come up sometimes and it's wild to think how much effort went into registering caveats against individual properties to prevent any kind of change.

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=

And on a different note, the developer for 51 Roslyn Road (former Saigon Apartments) is asking for another 1-year extension on their zoning agreement. They had their development plan approved 2 years ago and have nothing expect for demolish the existing apartment building that was there, which is actually worse than doing nothing. What a joke.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Found this interesting, someone wants to convert the property at 309 Wardlaw Ave (an old house right beside Donald) from an office into a tattoo studio.
I'm amazed at how many tattoo studios the village can apparently sustain.

Osborne has three on just one block, between Gertrude and Wardlaw -- Golden Cicada, Osborne Village Ink, and Full Sleeve/Mark of Cain. Plus, there's also a fourth, Soul Survivors, a couple blocks north.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan