HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Burnaby has certainly set themselves up to compete with Vancouver in the development game. A lot of density up for grabs.
All the feedback I've heard from developers about Burnaby's plans are that their fees are so high that very few projects will actually pencil out as profitable so while the allowable densities sound really exciting (they're mostly pretty good) the financials don't add up.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 8:37 PM

Intergulf Proposal - 39 Storey tower at Willingdon and Grange

Intergulf proposal for a 39 storey tower with a 6 storey rental for the lot behind the Old Orchid shopping center at the NW corner of Willingdon and Grange.
(at 5777 Willingdon Avenue and 4475 Grange Street to be exact).

The rental building will provide 86 replacement units in the 2 buildings currently sitting on the lots that the project will take over.

source:

https://storeys.com/intergulf-willin...aby-metrotown/

It's due to go up to Council for a First and Second Reading on July 22 and will not be subject to a Public Hearing as the proposal is compliant with the Burnaby OCP.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 8:43 PM

Should really have retail at the base.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbin View Post
All the feedback I've heard from developers about Burnaby's plans are that their fees are so high that very few projects will actually pencil out as profitable so while the allowable densities sound really exciting (they're mostly pretty good) the financials don't add up.
My bet is that somehow, magically things will happen. It’s a never ending negotiation game.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
Should really have retail at the base.
On the Willingdon side?
I'm not really sure that would work.

That side seems more residential usage.
You could argue on the Grange side perhaps, but from how they've positioned the tower with the entrance right on the corner, you'd essentially end up with retail facing the back or laneside of the Orchid mall.

I realize the character of Willingdon as a whole will change over time - especially if/when the Purple line extension gets built, but that's much farther down the road and in the present it seems like with the generous setbacks that those existing homes enjoy, the city never planned to have much pedestrian or foot traffic for that stretch of road prior to hitting Kingsway and south of Kingsway.

And then there's also the small matter that that site isn't currently zoned for mixed use/commercial or retail, and it doesn't seem like they wanted to go the rezoning route.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
On the Willingdon side?
I'm not really sure that would work.

That side seems more residential usage.
You could argue on the Grange side perhaps, but from how they've positioned the tower with the entrance right on the corner, you'd essentially end up with retail facing the back or laneside of the Orchid mall.

And then there's also the small matter that that site isn't currently zoned for mixed use/commercial or retail, and it doesn't seem like they wanted to go the rezoning route.
I drive and walk down Grange a lot as I live towards Boundary and often head over to Metrotown and beyond and I have this idea in my head that the stretch from Patterson to Willingdon would make for a great pedestrian friendly (and bike) friendly street with some retail. It's wide enough and low traffic enough that you could reduce car traffic to just 2 lanes while expanding the sidewalks and adding a separated bike lane (in theory it keeps going to Nelson or Royal Oak).

Sprinkle some nice retail along the whole way as buildings get redeveloped and you've got yourself a really friendly stretch of liveable neighbourhood parallel to Kingsway.

Just a dream b/c I know Burnaby will never be pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:54 AM

There's a large section of Imperial that they should be putting retail on as well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
A lot to examine there. So they are not going with specific FSR, which is interesting. For a multiplex, you could easily get it to 1.5 FSR, or Probly more, unless they stipulate sizeable setbacks. I always thought 1Fsr for multiplex (like in the CoV) just isn’t enough to trigger enough multiplex development to truly fill in that missing middle.
Here's a video of a recent podcast where two local realtors talk through Burnaby's new multiplex zoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRADjLzDlnk. It is still early days but their initial take is that larger lots in North Burnaby will likely be attractive, especially where six units are available. They walk through a bit of the rough math and speak to how the market for large multiplexes is more attractive than the luxury single family homes. Much is still up in the air but I'd also personally bet on strong uptake in Burnaby on larger lots.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Burnaby Employment Land Study Concludes Need For 22M Sq. Ft Of Commercial Space

As the City of Burnaby continues its work on Burnaby 2050, a new official community plan (OCP) that will guide the city's growth across the next 25 years, a big component of the project is economic development.

Accordingly, last fall, the City retained Urban Systems to conduct an employment land needs assessment as part of the City's OCP Economic Development and Industrial Lands Policy Review, whose findings were presented to the City in late-June.

For the purposes of the assessment, Burnaby was divided into 19 sub-areas, which do not cover the entire city but capture the majority of existing employment lands. (A map of the sub-areas can be viewed here.)

After conducting an inventory of existing employment land, local employment data was used to estimate the average amount of floor area currently needed for workers in different employment land use classes — agricultural, office, commercial, institutional, and industrial.

Using employment growth projections for 2051, Urban Systems was then able to anticipate the amount of additional floor area that would be needed, and concluded that Burnaby will need an additional 22,384,500 sq. ft of employment land, which represents a 26.9% increase from the existing inventory of 83,014,000 sq. ft (as of 2021) and consists of:

8,206,500 sq. ft of industrial space,
6,495,000 sq. ft of institutional space,
4,271,500 sq. ft of commercial retail space,
3,191,500 sq. ft of office space, and
219,500 sq. ft of agricultural space.
https://storeys.com/burnaby-2050-com...l-real-estate/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 5:36 PM

"Why we are proposing these policies

- Industrial land is needed to support Burnaby’s economy, but we have a limited supply of these areas.
- Industrial lands provide important services, such as repair shops or warehouses for community members.
- If we use industrial land more efficiently, we won’t need to expand development to other areas.
- Creating space for businesses to grow creates more job opportunities, which attracts a larger pool of skilled labour, and leads to more industries coming to Burnaby.
- Different industries need different types of buildings, sites and locations to operate.
- Ensures land is mainly used for industrial purposes.
- Employers want buildings with services nearby so they can attract and retain employees.
- Providing services near jobs means workers don’t have to travel as much, reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions."

Speaking in the other industrial lands thread, this is exactly what I mean. "but we have a limited supply of these areas." Which is a funny way of saying "we've reduced the limited supply over the years".

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 9:52 PM

Can someone explain to me how a small bridge like this cost $200 million?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/hold...ruction-design

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 9:57 PM

It's long, wide and in a seismic zone. It also includes upgrades to some adjacent roads/intersections and the greenway if I remember correctly.

Also it costs a fortune to building anything right now due to an acute trade shortage and rampant inflation in supplier costs.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 2:34 AM

It was $145 million back in 2020.. multi-modal overpasses over Highway 1 might cost $20-60 million dollars. The overpass will be around 400m in length for the elevated section and as mentioned above they will have super deep foundation piers.

Back in 2019 the MOU mentioned property acquisition as well.

https://pub-burnaby.escribemeetings....cumentId=45678

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 2:47 AM

It also looks like the overpass has an S-curve, so not a simple straight line.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:08 PM

2024, July 7

BCIT

Untitled by Lexus LX, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 9:49 PM

Looking sharp!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 10:51 PM

It's totally enclosed now on the side where the crane is.

https://www.bcit.ca/campus-plan/tall...udent-housing/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley