HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I wonder if offering a sort of "compassionate exit" program for these people - where the government will pay for your plane ticket back home and pay off some of your outstanding debts (up to a reasonable maximum) - would ultimately be cheaper than trying to formally deport them.
Governments don't do things like this as politically it's toxic to pay people to do the right thing. We absolutely won't be deporting anybody. We don't have the ability right now. A new government could change laws and overide court obstinance but it would be a heavy lift. Many will self deport naturally.

Old Posted Today, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I wonder if offering a sort of "compassionate exit" program for these people - where the government will pay for your plane ticket back home and pay off some of your outstanding debts (up to a reasonable maximum) - would ultimately be cheaper than trying to formally deport them.
Free ride home? Sure. Paying off debts? No way.

First off, these are debts they weren't supposed to have to begin with. They lied about their financial resources to get into Canada.

Next, a lot of those debts are incurred informally through various family and social connections. Not the kind of lending that can properly be documented. So you have no real idea who owes what. So ultimately, you're just going to have offer a fixed amount to everybody to leave. The ones who are really desperate won't take it. The ones who aren't probably didn't need that money anyway.

I'm okay offering a free ticket and basically a guarantee that they won't be banned from applying in the future or visiting if they voluntarily leave.

I hate to be Machiavellian. But knowing that there are ppeople who weren't able to pay back borrowed money will help deter fake applicants in the future, and even those who would lend to them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada