HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 5:24 AM
if I sang out of tune

Introducing Huaguoyang district in Guiyang, China -the country's densest area.

Normally building code demands x amount of people need to live within y vicinity of z amount of green space, graded on how utilised. It's such a norm now it's become self-policing as a market standard - people will literally not buy unless they have all the amenities under the developments. This kinda stuff:

However Guiyang, the poorest major city in China experimented with Hong Kong's postwar illegal version, of hyper-density, straight onto the 'street' (largely pedestrianised). It's now become an unintentional tourist attraction, so ugly its beautiful, housing half a million.

Guiyang is now absolutely booming - largely leapfrogging China's industrialisation as a backwater, reborn as a tech superhub.

This is what it's like to live in the district -note how dark it gets at dusk, before the streetlights come on, similar to midtown Manhattan or unregulated Hong Kong.

This has strong Kowloon vibes, though with more space. Traditionally Chinese people -so used to high density in what was the world's largest population for most of history -live most of their lives in public, in the 'Third Space', creating the famed streetlife. Worth mentioning how quiet and dystopian it is on any street with traffic (where the love of overhead walkways take over), but how much busier it gets once you're in the pedestrian streets/ squares.

Video Link

daytime

Video Link

Last edited by muppet; Jul 17, 2024 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 6:53 AM

So, I adore the Stray video game of 2022. It has a certain aesthetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCxpaCtQkH0

Last edited by Anders Franzén; Jul 18, 2024 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
anybody ever been to Chunking Mansions? It is at the top of my list of places to see when I can get over to Hong Kong.

The Complete Guide to Chungking Mansions
I was outside in 2018, getting harrassed by Indian tailors wanting me to buy a suit.
I never went inside and idk why.
I had a colleague, who just recently retired, that stayed in Chungking in the 1990s. He and his travel friends liked it so much they stayed for longer than planned. The inn manager apparently just took a small fee and they could stay for as long as they liked.

I also visited the KWC Park with the preserved Almshouse in 2018.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^cool. I am fascinated by Chunking Mansions, but I doubt I would stay there overnight (too worried about bedbugs/roaches, etc., infecting my luggage).

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Muppet, thanks very much for that great post. Guiyang....it seems that there is still another giant Chinese city that I had yet to hear about. Fascinating. That sort of density is unheard of in the West in the past 100 years.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
It's now become an unintentional tourist attraction, so ugly its beautiful, housing half a million.
Incredibly fit description. Fascinating. Loved the video too.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:25 PM
if I sang out of tune

Thanks, the city's quite different to other Chinese cities as it has more of the 'natural' planning (read: not less regulated, but less prescribed -Guizhou is China's second poorest province), which creates quite some idiosyncracies

Check out 9:15:

Video Link

Also like most Asian cities, it comes alive more at night than day:

Video Link

Old Posted Today, 5:48 AM

Just what I needed: another reason to dream of getting back to China. Guiyang looks like a great addon to a Chongqing trip.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions