HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The Dunbar loop's on the list, but not Blanca or Marpole? I don't get it.
That's confused me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Blanca and Marpole loop are only served by two bus routes each, they serve as a turnaround point for trolley buses and not as transit exchanges.

Dunbar and Kootenay on the other hand are more proper transit exchanges, being served by five and eight bus routes respectively.
Good answer.

It's a bit challenging, though, to go by level of bus service vs physical infrastructure. There are countless bus stops that serve more bus routes than the Dunbar or Kootenay Loop, especially downtown where on-street bus stops may serve as major exchange points with West Vancouver Blue Bus service (a de facto bus exchange), but their physical infrastructure is fundamentally different than a Dunbar or Kootenay Loop bus exchange.

[edit]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Both are served by Rapidbus routes, and with the promise of upgrading to BRT (or better), it makes sense to densify those nodes.
There it is. Excellent point. That's what makes them Transit Oriented Areas (being served by a form of rapid transit).

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jun 24, 2024 at 4:55 PM. Reason: mcj made an excellent observation

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Blanca and Marpole loop are only served by two bus routes each, they serve as a turnaround point for trolley buses and not as transit exchanges.

Dunbar and Kootenay on the other hand are more proper transit exchanges, being served by five and eight bus routes respectively.
Both are served by Rapidbus routes, and with the promise of upgrading to BRT (or better), it makes sense to densify those nodes.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 5:04 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
My one concern about this, and about Main Street and South Granville as well, is the effect these new rules will have on the retail strips that are the heart of these neighbourhoods. What I have read so far seems to indicate that the retail strips will be eligible for redevelopment at the prescribed densities. That would not be good, as these mixed use buildings give the public realm a very sterile feel.
The best way to ensure treasured retail strips stay intact or are at least incrementally changed, is to open up broader swaths of the city to dense mixed-use buildings. If the city prioritizes protecting block after block of virtually identical bungalows and Vancouver specials by restricting higher orders of density to established thoroughfares like Hastings, Granville, Commercial, and Main, all of the existing building stock including commercial units that can command decent rents due to attractive frontages and good locations will just be replaced faster.

If people actually care about protecting Kerrisdale or Point Grey Village or The Drive, they should stop opposing mid-rise buildings two or three blocks off these arterials.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:17 AM

177 W Pender, today

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 8:27 PM

Quote:
However, the consultant retained by the City to undertake the testing, Coriolis Consulting Co., noted that while a 30% requirement would mitigate potential speculation, it would likely result in very limited uptake by increasing risk and lowering the market component of the project through which any cost overruns could potentially be recouped. This concern has been reinforced through feedback received since the report was
released last week.

Therefore, staff are recommending reducing the requirement to 20%. Potential concerns related to speculation and land value impacts will be addressed through pro forma review, and where necessary, CAC negotiation
https://council.vancouver.ca/2024062.../cfsc1memo.pdf

That was a quick response, I wonder what the level of correspondence was that came in on the issue.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 9:13 PM

The 30% requirements seemed very high at first glance so i'm surprised it wasn't questioned more deeply at the onset.

Such a high requirement would reduce the viability of projects and exacerbating housing affordability. Interested in knowing more about their model assumptions that they can go from 30 to 20 (33% decrease) and still achieve their stated goals.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 10:40 AM

3701-3743 West Broadway
at Alma

June 23rd shot posted on Daily Hive.
I don't see a crane.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/hous...ast-statistics

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 3:50 PM

Seems like a weird stage in construction to remove it.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Seems like a weird stage in construction to remove it.
I was wondering about that (I doubt the crane is just hidden, is it?)
It looks to be topped out at 14 floors.
If the exterior walls are all stud construction, and the windows pop-in,
then I guess the service elevator would be used for all that?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I was wondering about that (I doubt the crane is just hidden, is it?)
It looks to be topped out at 14 floors.
If the exterior walls are all stud construction, and the windows pop-in,
then I guess the service elevator would be used for all that?
Actually the crane is probably hidden it should be on the backside of the corner with the teal dumpster. There is some weird ghosting where the base of the tower crane is going up so the crane might be hidden behind the building.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 11:31 PM

2024-06-29

NE Kingsway&Dumfries

Untitled by Lexus LX, on Flickr

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:04 AM

That turned out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Actually the crane is probably hidden it should be on the backside of the corner with the teal dumpster. There is some weird ghosting where the base of the tower crane is going up so the crane might be hidden behind the building.
I saw the crane today - it's on the NW corner.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver