Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Boardwalk at Bricktown - Legends Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 9:54 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
As silly as this seems, I've been thinking about it and is it really any dumber than, say... this?

Reformed #rocks by Mostapha Ghaziri, on Flickr
I'd say it's about equally as dumb... and seeing as how Kingdom Tower is incredibly dumb, that isn't exactly a feather in it's cap.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:11 AM
Big City Enthusiast

OKC was just officially announced 2028 Olympic city, co-hosting with LA, for Softball and Watersports events. Did anyone ever think OKC could host Olympics?

And similar timing to this (and other) developments, OKC is on a roll!

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:35 AM
你的媽媽

Imagine being a softball player from some random country and being excited to go to LA for the Olympics. Only to end up in Oklahoma City.

The Los Angeles Olympics of Oklahoma City y’all.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:47 AM
Future God

Weird. The kayaking I sort of get since I know Oklahoma City has that kayaking/watersports course or whatever, but why softball? Quality baseball fields are a dime a dozen in this country. Pretty cool for OKC no doubt... just sort of an odd choice. Why not keep the revenue in the state and send softball to... shit I dunno... Fresno? Ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Imagine being a softball player from some random country and being excited to go to LA for the Olympics. Only to end up in Oklahoma City.

The Los Angeles Olympics of Oklahoma City y’all.
That would be quite a letdown I'd imagine. Your countrymen and women in other sports are spending their spare time visiting Hollywood and Venice Beach, and you and your softball teammates get to see... the empty lot next to a U-Haul facility where a crazy guy once proposed the tallest building in the country, I guess?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:07 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Weird. The kayaking I sort of get since I know Oklahoma City has that kayaking/watersports course or whatever, but why softball? Quality baseball fields are a dime a dozen in this country. Pretty cool for OKC no doubt... just sort of an odd choice. Why not keep the revenue in the state and send softball to... shit I dunno... Fresno? Ah well.

That would be quite a letdown I'd imagine. Your countrymen and women in other sports are spending their spare time visiting Hollywood and Venice Beach, and you and your softball teammates get to see... the empty lot next to a U-Haul facility where a crazy guy once proposed the tallest building in the country, I guess?
you clearly do not understand that Oklahoma City has the largest softball specific stadium in the world. It is truly world-class. OKC hosts the womens college world series there every year and even has a pro softball team in the OKC Spark, where legengs from OU and elsewhere that have won at said stadium (known as Devon Park) get to continue to play PAID at said stadium. Why would LA waste dollars building a temp facility when OKC has the biggest/best already? Same is said for watersports - OKC has the biggest/best in the nation. Why would LA build a temp one?

In fact, OKC almost (and still might) get rowing as well, OKC has the best course and IS the US Olympic training facility and hosts many world events, along with the riversports whitewater facility and the softball facility. Need I say more? Folks might want to pay a visit to OKC instead of just projecting like OKC's some sort of backwater. There's a reason OKC has been growing so much and hits these lists (including a week ago named top 10 destination for recent graduates).

This all may lend itself more reason why Legends Tower could indeed be built (developer Matteson himself said as much). OKC co-hosting the LA 2028 Summer Olympics. Imagine that.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:09 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
you clearly do not understand that Oklahoma City has the largest softball specific stadium in the world. It is truly world-class. OKC hosts the womens college world series there every year and even has a pro softball team in the OKC Spark, where legengs from OU and elsewhere that have won at said stadium (known as Devon Park) get to continue to play PAID at said stadium. Why would LA waste dollars building a temp facility when OKC has the biggest/best already? Same is said for watersports - OKC has the biggest/best in the nation. Why would LA build a temp one?

In fact, OKC almost (and still might) get rowing as well, OKC has the best course and IS the US Olympic training facility and hosts many world events, along with the riversports whitewater facility and the softball facility. Need I say more?
Oh geez, simmer down. It isn't a slight on Oklahoma City to be unaware of the city's connection to soft ball or of the existence of a "professional" women's soft ball league (why would anyone be,) or to ponder why they wouldn't hold these events somewhere closer than 1,300 miles away. Not a knock on Oklahoma City, just a question of convenience. As I stated, the water sports make some good sense due to the presence of that well established rowing facility. As far as the softball is concerned I still can't stay I understand why they're holding it so far away. Surely there are hundreds of baseball stadiums far closer to the event itself that could be easily retrofitted for softball. I mean let's face it, softball is just baseball but on a smaller scale with a different ball. Surely building a new facility would not be required. But like I said, just pondering aloud. There clearly must be good reasons I guess or they wouldn't have done it!

Quote:
Folks might want to pay a visit to OKC instead of just projecting like OKC's some sort of backwater. There's a reason OKC has been growing so much and hits these lists (including a week ago named top 10 destination for recent graduates).
Literally nobody is implying it's a backwater. I've been there multiple times, and can understand why it's some peoples' cup of tea... although those random internet lists mean nothing and probably not worth your energy.

Quote:
This all may lend itself more reason why Legends Tower could indeed be built (developer Matteson himself said as much). OKC co-hosting the LA 2028 Summer Olympics. Imagine that.
"Co-Hosting" is probably a bit of a stretch, and I highly doubt that a handful of softball games and kayak races taking place over the course of a week four years from now will have any bearing on whether a multi-billion dollar tower will be built, even if they are Olympic events. But yes, I agree, it'd be pretty cool for any city to have Olympic events taking place in it's backyard, so good on ya! That'll be fun.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Yesterday at 5:27 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals