HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Cause nobody likes to shit on good news than SJ’ers. As for start up, the only article I’m aware of is Victory Advanced Technologies on Tim St that want to build electric motors. Unless I completely missed an article about another start up involved in EV batteries. If it is an EV battery plant, they cost $10B + with an intensely complicated supply chain - so doubtful a start up would be involved.
But I think something is up because they are very specific on certain properties including taking a piece of Alloy St - that’s pretty specific for just wanting to expand the park which is already mostly unoccupied overall. An EV plant would be interested in that area if they can be carbon neutral - wind farm can be expanded and maybe two or three wind turbines can power the plant. Also - why is Dillon Consulting involved in this process which really is just a civic matter?
Good point about the Alloy lots. Worth mentioning there will likely be some kind of conversion at Colson and not a full shutdown (which is crazy given the tightness of electricity supply). Also, the wind farm is planned for 15 total turbines-- PAOL helpfully has both the existing 10 and proposed 5 clearly marked.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Good point about the Alloy lots. Worth mentioning there will likely be some kind of conversion at Colson and not a full shutdown (which is crazy given the tightness of electricity supply). Also, the wind farm is planned for 15 total turbines-- PAOL helpfully has both the existing 10 and proposed 5 clearly marked.
I wonder if this is an Irving Oil project? What would be the chance they'd be diversifying revenue streams with a new EV battery plant to off-set their carbon emissions? They'd have the money to do something like this, or at least strike a joint-venture. Perhaps this is an effort to bring new jobs and remain relevant as they slowly need to scale back on oil and gas?

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
I wonder if this is an Irving Oil project? What would be the chance they'd be diversifying revenue streams with a new EV battery plant to off-set their carbon emissions? They'd have the money to do something like this, or at least strike a joint-venture. Perhaps this is an effort to bring new jobs and remain relevant as they slowly need to scale back on oil and gas?
My friend works at IOL and is hinting there will be a big announcement on the 100th anniversary of the company coming up, that is not about acquisition. At this point I’m only 5% convinced.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Cause nobody likes to shit on good news than SJ’ers. As for start up, the only article I’m aware of is Victory Advanced Technologies on Tim St that want to build electric motors. Unless I completely missed an article about another start up involved in EV batteries. If it is an EV battery plant, they cost $10B + with an intensely complicated supply chain - so doubtful a start up would be involved.
But I think something is up because they are very specific on certain properties including taking a piece of Alloy St - that’s pretty specific for just wanting to expand the park which is already mostly unoccupied overall. An EV plant would be interested in that area if they can be carbon neutral - wind farm can be expanded and maybe two or three wind turbines can power the plant. Also - why is Dillon Consulting involved in this process which really is just a civic matter?
Here is an interesting article about a potential EV Battery Plant in New Brunswick which came out today.

VW's PowerCo and Umicore eye New Brunswick for battery materials plant
2024-07-10

https://headtopics.com/ca/vw-s-power...ttery-55625875

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
Here is an interesting article about a potential EV Battery Plant in New Brunswick which came out today.

VW's PowerCo and Umicore eye New Brunswick for battery materials plant
2024-07-10

https://headtopics.com/ca/vw-s-power...ttery-55625875
This was shared on Retail Talk & Share NB Facebook group. And I see that the initial person who said that an EV battery plant is being planned for the Spruce Lake Expansion area, has confirmed over on Retail Talk & Share that PowerCo and Umicore's potential battery materials plant is what is planned for the industrial park. He once again said that the community is fighting against it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:32 PM

Umicore appears to want to purchase power for their operations from renewable resources, so it makes sense Spruce Lake is a location they can arrange a power purchase agreement with Saint John Energy. That along with a port to bring in the mined material and a railway to rail it to the customers in Ontario, it’s a really good chance we’d score this instead of defaulting to Moncton where the majority of new entrants to NB go

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Source Atlantic being sold to Lawson Canada https://www.country94.ca/2024/07/10/...lawson-canada/

Old Posted Today, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Umicore appears to want to purchase power for their operations from renewable resources, so it makes sense Spruce Lake is a location they can arrange a power purchase agreement with Saint John Energy. That along with a port to bring in the mined material and a railway to rail it to the customers in Ontario, it’s a really good chance we’d score this instead of defaulting to Moncton where the majority of new entrants to NB go

Rail is hard. AFAIK the ROW ends at Paddy's Hill and there's no way to get north of Galbraith, let alone both highways. I can only assume the barge terminal, port, and highway are driving this. The land is probably relatively cheap too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces