HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Reposted from the Atlantic Canada Statistics Thread:
My guess is these growth rates won't stay stable, though. If the feds follow through with a reduction in temporary immigation, it'll cut signfiicantly into growth numbers nationwide. We're also seeing in Nova Scotia a tempering of the interprovincial influx that's dominated for the past eight or nine years. (Last Q3 saw a slight interprovincial decline, the first in almost a decade. Then it was back into a strong positive in Q4, but this past Q1 was a modest decline.)

I'm guessing that as housing costs have grown in Nova Scotia, it's less attractive for people seeking a cost-of-living refuge, so from now on we'll see a mix of up quarters and down quarters for interprovincial migration, for a more flat trend overall. The cost advantage is still there, but less so than in the recent past. That seems to bear out in the stats. There hasn't been meaningful uptick in outmigration, what we're seeing is mostly a decline in IN-migration. That might also explain why New Brunswick, where housing is still significantly cheaper, is still posting big interprovincial gains.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm guessing that as housing costs have grown in Nova Scotia, it's less attractive for people seeking a cost-of-living refuge, so from now on we'll see a mix of up quarters and down quarters for interprovincial migration, for a more flat trend overall.
I could see NS becoming a bit friendlier toward growth in the future but I'm not sure there's ever been a place in Canada that saw housing prices come back down to a more affordable level through development and not a real estate crash. Maybe correcting the high rents is easier, and Halifax does have a track record of building lots of apartments. I still feel like this reflects a lowering of living standards though as a lot of people who would have bought houses in the past can't today.

HRM has at times in the past been very slow to approve greenfield development and build new infrastructure. I wonder if this has changed much. It is nice to have urban infill but that will only get you so far, especially with limited transit development. Halifax hasn't even yet built the 2010's-era BRT plan that was designed for much lower growth than ended up happening. I think for Halifax to be an affordable and functional city with 600,000-900,000 people it needs multiple major new infrastructure projects on the level of a new harbour crossing, LRT, a new highway, etc. It has more challenging geography than most cities and didn't have much spare capacity to begin with. A lot of the decision makers and influencers at the municipal level seem biased toward people who are already wealthy and well situated, and they'd rather see affordability deteriorate (and their wealth go up) than go through the pain of aggressively expanding infrastructure so people in the future have the same amenities they did in past decades.

Old Posted Today, 12:05 AM

Quote:
My guess is these growth rates won't stay stable, though. If the feds follow through with a reduction in temporary immigation, it'll cut signfiicantly into growth numbers nationwide. We're also seeing in Nova Scotia a tempering of the interprovincial influx that's dominated for the past eight or nine years. (Last Q3 saw a slight interprovincial decline, the first in almost a decade. Then it was back into a strong positive in Q4, but this past Q1 was a modest decline.)

I'm guessing that as housing costs have grown in Nova Scotia, it's less attractive for people seeking a cost-of-living refuge, so from now on we'll see a mix of up quarters and down quarters for interprovincial migration, for a more flat trend overall. The cost advantage is still there, but less so than in the recent past. That seems to bear out in the stats. There hasn't been meaningful uptick in outmigration, what we're seeing is mostly a decline in IN-migration. That might also explain why New Brunswick, where housing is still significantly cheaper, is still posting big interprovincial gains.
I think you are right on this, agree totally. The interprovincial numbers have not been gangbusters for the last while, they've been OK and still better than the lost/dark years when NS would just bleed people and always suffer negative migration. But the major growth appears to have paused at least, too early to necessarily forecast a trend, but a noticeable slowdown. But as others have said, a big reason is the number of Ontarians leaving Ontario for NS has gone down, compared to ~2020-2023. While Ontario is still suffering heavy interprovincial losses overall, the region benefitting most has shifted from the Maritimes to Alberta.

And that brings me to the topic of Alberta, the beast itself. When they get on a high, man they get on a high. They are arguably as big a factor or more in the weakening of NL, PE, and NS in interprovincial migration. Yes Ontario has slowed, but Alberta was by far the biggest drag on their numbers, the losses to AB were so big they overshadowed the smaller gains from elsewhere. But that is what AB does, and they do it time and time again. Circumstances behind the population boom may be slightly different each time for AB, but the intensity always seems to happen and brings huge numbers that no other province ever does. The job market this time is not insanely strong in AB relative to other places (employment growth, unemployment rates etc. are mediocre really, they aren't a shining star amongst all laggards). And whereas AB offers a sizeable savings real estate wise for BC and Ontario buyers, they are not cheaper overall than Maritimes prices, are they? I'd imagine Calgary at least would be more expensive than most places in the Maritimes? Yes, I know wages are higher in AB still, but other provinces have really caught up. Yes overall you can likely still make more in AB, but it's not as polar opposite as the 90s and much of the 2000s, it was just a different world out there compared to the Maritimes. They are still unequal in terms of wealth and opportunity, but not nearly to the extent it was before. And yet look, the Maritimes are again losing to AB in significant numbers. We all know BC and ON are losing because of the extremity of the affordability crisis. Although the Maritimes have gotten more expensive, they are nowhere near BC and ON, and I can't imagine many areas being less afordable compared to AB. Of course they are also touted for low taxes. No sales tax is appealing, and the tax differences between the Maritimes and AB still quite significant. But that's really the main area of difference at the moment, hard to justify such a pull to AB from the Maritimes nowadays. Taxes matter, but have come down as dominant factors compared to years back. I feel like quality of life and real estate prices have shot up and replaced taxes and wages as dominant drivers. So the Maritimes shouldn't be losing much to AB right now, it's not like the oil sands are 2000s era gangbusters right now... Office employment is still tepid, and the air of unlimited money and streets paved with gold amongst Albertans is far less common now than it was pre-2015. Many are choosing AB because it's cheaper for housing and that's pretty much 90% of the reasoning. The low taxes, cleanliness (Calgary), decent job market, and options for outdoor recreation are all plusses for Alberta, but they are more add-ons perks and not drivers anymore. The quest for housing is the only real factor, everything else is gravy really.

It would be an interesting experiment to see results if housing prices across all cities in Canada evened out so they were all in the same ballpark. Totally unrealistic I know, but hypothetically, if market forces worked perfect, and there were no or minimal artificial restrictions like BC's ALR, Ontario's greenbelt, etc strangling available development, what would happen? Georgraphic restrictions would still be there (ie. mountains and water) but if there was no government ban on development in metro areas like Vancouver or Toronto, it would make a noticeable difference. BC has always been pricier than anywhere else, nothing new there, but the price escalation for housing is unheard of. I remember cutting out a snippet from Vancouver Sun in 2004, back when everyone received and read the paper still haha. They used to publish home sales statistics in the business section, with volume, average prices, median prices, change, etc. broken out by municipality. And I remember West Van not even being at $1M average lol, it was like 998,500 or something, and would be virtually tied with Westside Vancouver in average price (they broke Vancouver into east and west, which was neat). But it was always 900,000 something, or even high 800,000s. That is insane to think about now, I may be getting old now but that isn't THAT long ago really...

Finally, I like to look at 5 year stats to get a picture as well. The census is a 5-year period for a reason, it's a good measure to see statistics over some time, but not super long (ie. 50 year comparisons lol, basically too drastic to even mean much to people). So I did various metrics all based on the latest StatCan data, available for download on all StatCan pages, not going to post each and every link, they are dynamic data fields so you can select all your own data to compare:

Population Growth April 2019-April 2024
PE +14.7%
AB +11.8%
BC +11.1%
NS +10.5%
ON +10.4%
NB +9.9%
CAN +9.6%
MB +8.8%
QC +6.9%
SK +6.0%
NL +2.5%

This period is totally arbitrary, just using the latest date and deducting five years, it isn't an official census or measurement period, but it's a handy tool for measurement.

It's interesting that 6 provinces grew faster than Canada as a whole, while 4 are slower. I have to say I was surprised mathematically by the results. With AB, BC, ON, and all the Maritimes growing as fast as they did, I would have thought the overall Canada figure would be much higher. It basically means that MB, QC, SK, and NL were able to pull the average down that much? Seems weird, but anyways.

Then look at wage growth. Year over year and 5-year provided for comparison, and order them by 5-year growth with actual weekly earnings shown

BC 5.4% / 27.3% $1,256.92
QC 5.1% / 25.4% $1,185.90
PE 4.2% / 23.7% $1,055.24
NS 5.5% / 23.2% $1,102.67
NB 3.9% / 22.3% $1,135.61
ON 4.1% / 22.2% $1,266.68
CAN 4.2% / 21.8% $1,235.68
MB 3.3% / 17.1% $1,126.35
SK 1.1% / 15.7% $1,194.10
NL 3.8% / 14.7% $1,213.87
AB 2.2% / 12.1% $1,298.87

Put another way, five years ago in March 2019, the Canada-wide average wage was only 88¢ per $1 Albertans earned. Five years later in March 2024, the Canada wide average is now 95¢ per $1 Albertans earned, so significantly narrower gap.

Will be interesting to watch what happens, but if the gap narrows significantly in relative affordability, AB will lessen its winnings from interprovincial migration especially with BC. I have posted before, BC can still attract way more people than expected given its cost. BC can still be appealing to Albertans even with higher costs, it doesn't need to be a better deal with taxes, wages, or real estate, most Albertans understand the draw isn't historic economic dominance. But once that spread becomes too insanely inflated, the dream dies quick, it's just too much spread between the two for people to look past just for the sake of other pluses. Prices in BC don't necessarily have to drop enormously, it is all relative. If BC prices fall while AB gains, and that continues for some time, the relative gap narrows even while there is a big gap.

As recently as Q2 2021, BC gained 11,467 people in interprovincial migration (in the same quarter AB, SK, MB, and ON were all negative interprovincial migration). I know it was Covid and things were weird, and the economy wasn't booming anywhere really. And it wasn't like BC was cheap in 2021 lol, we were already insanely higher than anywhere else, firmly. If a mathematician wanted to statistically correlate the migration numbers with average house prices in each province, would be interesting to see the "breaking point" when migration started reversing. I know it isn't JUST house prices blah blah, but I think it's safe to say it's the biggest factor. Would be interesting if house prices here soften and reach the same level of Q2 2021, the migration wouldn't reverse, it now becomes harder to get those people back. BC relies more on original Albertans moving here rather than BCers going back

Old Posted Today, 12:23 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Today, 5:11 AM

Zahav..............thanks for the excellent post.

The boom in Alberta is indeed quite different from previous ones because it is not based upon the standard boom/bust oil sector. The gap between Albertan and the ROC wages has narrowed with much of that due to the much slower rate of oil sands expansion where you would get $50/hour just for swinging a hammer. The oil sands are still there but the expansion certainly isn't and Alberta has been weening itself off it's oil-based economy for quite a while much more so than most people think. The unemployment numbers are about average and above BC rates.

So why Alberta? Obviously, it's cheaper, especially when compared to BC, and still offers higher wages and lower taxes but I think it's more than just that. Alberta, and especially Calgary, has matured a lot over the last 30 years. It was just an OK city where it's only real draw was high wages and low cost of living but that is no longer the case. Calgary has excellent transit, excellent roads, while being very clean, safe, and green. It has, with Montreal, the best cycling network in the country, has wonderful and vibrant inner-city neighbourhoods, is Canada's 3rd most multicultural city, and the music and arts scene is finally coming into its own. It has fantastic public amenities and an exceptionally high quality of life.

In short, Calgary has gone from a city you move to so you can make some money and then either head to the Coast or go back home to a city people want to move to for its own sake due to its high desirability and livability. Obviously, the bizarre growth rates the city is seeing will not continue but over the long-term I think Calgary will remain Canada's growth leader as it has so much urban life to offer with little of the urban problems that come with it like you see in Vancouver & Toronto.

Last edited by ssiguy; Today at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:59 PM

re: Alberta, I agree that for many reasons, the rush to Alberta will probably wane, just as the rush to the Maritimes has, mainly because: A: Housing is rapidly losing its affordability advantage (in southern Alberta, anyway) and B: The job market is good but not so clearly superior to the rest of the country anymore.

But also, for some of the reasons ssiguy posted, I think when it moves into a down-swing it won't necessarily be a traditional bust. The province and especially its biggest cities have a lot more to draw people now than they did in decades past.

re: Nova Scotia. Despite the flattening of interprovincial migration, the growth fundamentals are still strong. Interprovincial migration isn't really tanking; the main cause of the negative last quarter was a big spike in net loss to Alberta. We'll see if that's a one-off or a trend, but the province still gained, on net, from all but Alberta, Quebec and BC. As well, it had the highest number of births in any Q1 dating back more than ten years, part of a general trend toward more births lately. Finally, this Q1 saw the highest number of permanent immigration in any Q1, ever. That's not just due to Canada's rising immigration overall; Ontario, BC and Alberta all posted lower Q1 permanent immigration numbers this year compared to last. At the same time, net temporary immigration was quite low to NS--but that's fine, because temporary immigration is presumably about to be curtailed by the feds anyway, and has really been the primary cause of the excessive-immigration problem. Honestly, it would be good if growth shifted into a lower gear, since the province and city are falling behind on keeping up with growth in pretty much every way. If the reduction in growth primarily comes from sources like non-permanent immigration, that's the best possible outcome.

Old Posted Today, 5:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
As well, it had the highest number of births in any Q1 dating back more than ten years, part of a general trend toward more births lately. Finally, this Q1 saw the highest number of permanent immigration in any Q1, ever.
The improving demographics in NS have been playing out for a decade now and they've created structural changes. Another change is that provincial finances are better now (partly also affected by higher growth in more economically successful areas) and there is an opportunity for NS to bring tax and service levels more in line with other provinces. Halifax is simply a more vibrant city with more to offer than it had in the 90's or 2000's as well.

I notice Alberta vs. BC. Alberta's still cheaper but the gap has shrunk a bit, to the point where it's no longer easy for anybody to afford a house in Calgary or sell a modest condo here and move into a big house there. But like you suggested, Calgary and Edmonton as metropolitan areas have their own draw and inertia now. They are no longer small towns solely dependent on the resource boom and bust cycle. The economy has been changing too. There's more emphasis on migration for quality of life and housing cost considerations and less emphasis on blue collar industries tied to geography.

I think the idea of regions reverting to the mean is somewhat underrated while stories about regional norms going back many decades are overrated. You can see in the migration data going back to the 70's that the goin' down the road story for NS (really rural NS and industrial CB) was always exaggerated as a provincial trend.

Old Posted Today, 6:11 PM
I am the law!

OMG Wage growth is a useless stat as there are massive disparities between sectors. It will always present higher than the majority of Canadians actually enjoy.

Immigration? who cares. It's all the temp visas and Canada striving to be number 1 in the world for refugees and Canadian cities inability to afford the housing and per diems refugees must be given. The housing crisis could be mended if we gave up the hubris sanctimony on educating and saving the world.

House poor. It sucks but, the ones that are of concern are house rich, cash poor Torontonians and there are hundreds of thousands of them. The one hesitation is a new job in the new location that pays less. Work from home allows people to work out of province. More are coming to realisation that less pay is not a big deal trading up a shack for a McMansion and hundreds of thousands in the bank. Anyways, They will pay full asking on an overpriced foreign investor property setting a new standard in house value. Each one, conceivably creates a handful more house poor. And, here we are boasting about net migration.

Old Posted Today, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Zahav..............thanks for the excellent post.

The boom in Alberta is indeed quite different from previous ones because it is not based upon the standard boom/bust oil sector. The gap between Albertan and the ROC wages has narrowed with much of that due to the much slower rate of oil sands expansion where you would get $50/hour just for swinging a hammer. The oil sands are still there but the expansion certainly isn't and Alberta has been weening itself off it's oil-based economy for quite a while much more so than most people think. The unemployment numbers are about average and above BC rates.

So why Alberta? Obviously, it's cheaper, especially when compared to BC, and still offers higher wages and lower taxes but I think it's more than just that. Alberta, and especially Calgary, has matured a lot over the last 30 years. It was just an OK city where it's only real draw was high wages and low cost of living but that is no longer the case. Calgary has excellent transit, excellent roads, while being very clean, safe, and green. It has, with Montreal, the best cycling network in the country, has wonderful and vibrant inner-city neighbourhoods, is Canada's 3rd most multicultural city, and the music and arts scene is finally coming into its own. It has fantastic public amenities and an exceptionally high quality of life.

In short, Calgary has gone from a city you move to so you can make some money and then either head to the Coast or go back home to a city people want to move to for its own sake due to its high desirability and livability. Obviously, the bizarre growth rates the city is seeing will not continue but over the long-term I think Calgary will remain Canada's growth leader as it has so much urban life to offer with little of the urban problems that come with it like you see in Vancouver & Toronto.
You compare Vancouver and Calgary a lot, and it's always Calgary good - Vancouver bad, so I am going to respond to a few things, because I think you are overstating what Calgary has.

Calgary has not improved urban living all that much over the years. The Beltline is great and all, but 17th Ave is still spotty with parking lots and blank walls lining parts of the street. The East Village is still in a slow growing state, then outside of that, there are very few small neighbourhoods you could call vibrant. There still a long way to go if you are comparing to cities like Toronto and Vancouver. There are probly 10 neighbourhoods in Vancouver comparable to the Beltline, and that's why despite being more expensive real estate wise, there are still people who will pay to live here. And if you are renting, it is about 15% more expensive in Vancouver. Not a huge amount.

Calgary has lots of bike path, but a lot of it is more for adventure riding. There doesn't seem to be as much bike infrastructure for inner city commuters. Vancouver does that better. And I wonder what the measuring standard is because Metro Vancouver has a ton of bike path outside the CoV, and even into the local mountains.

Old Posted Today, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
OMG Wage growth is a useless stat as there are massive disparities between sectors. It will always present higher than the majority of Canadians actually enjoy.

Immigration? who cares. It's all the temp visas and Canada striving to be number 1 in the world for refugees and Canadian cities inability to afford the housing and per diems refugees must be given. The housing crisis could be mended if we gave up the hubris sanctimony on educating and saving the world.

House poor. It sucks but, the ones that are of concern are house rich, cash poor Torontonians and there are hundreds of thousands of them. The one hesitation is a new job in the new location that pays less. Work from home allows people to work out of province. More are coming to realisation that less pay is not a big deal trading up a shack for a McMansion and hundreds of thousands in the bank. Anyways, They will pay full asking on an overpriced foreign investor property setting a new standard in house value. Each one, conceivably creates a handful more house poor. And, here we are boasting about net migration.
Hardly, Canada's not even in the top twenty.

Old Posted Today, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
You compare Vancouver and Calgary a lot, and it's always Calgary good - Vancouver bad, so I am going to respond to a few things, because I think you are overstating what Calgary has.
It is weird how ssiguy constantly boosts Calgary while claiming to be in White Rock, somewhere they never seem to mention.

In terms of some of the boosterism for Calgary in comparison to Vancouver as being safer and having better cycling infrastructure, the evidence would tend to contradict that.

As this is the Statistics Canada thread, let's look at their Safe Cities Program data. In 2018 Vancouver had a police-reported violent crime index of 972 (per 100,000 people). There had been a 22% drop in crime reported in the previous decade. Calgary on the other hand had an index of 999 and there had been an 8% increase in reported crime in the previous10 years.

In terms of cycling, while Calgary has improved a lot, and has many recreational cycling opportunities, Statistics Canada data shows less than 2% cycling to work in Calgary and over 3% in Metro Vancouver, and nearly 8% in the City of Vancouver.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada