HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ oh, I totally get what you're saying.

But selfishly for me, I just personally care way more about the utterly ridiculous amount of criminally underzoned RS--3 land in this city, than the more forgettable RS-1 & 2 realms mostly found out at the very fingertip fringes of the city.

I mean, my own Lincoln Square is like 75%+ RS-3. That is just beyond stupid for a neighborhood that was historically built WAY more densely, still with a functional population density of 20K ppsm, 4 stops on the brown line, a metra stop, and criss-crossed by 6 bus routes.

I see places like Beverly and Sauganash and their ilk more as hopeless lost causes that mainly serve as "suburbs within city limits for city workers who wholesale refuse to live a more urban lifestyle".

Last edited by Steely Dan; Yesterday at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:46 PM

Wow. 919 W Fulton is going up sooo fast!! I was in the area about a month ago and it only had 2-3 stories done.

Thing is bound to top off really soon

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:57 PM

Remember that the 2022 TOD ordinance was close to having all residential land in a quarter-mile radius of CTA/Metra stations count as RT-4. Ald. Tunney, who chaired the zoning committee at the time, was the main roadblock, which meant it had to be removed from the ordinance. It is impressive though the proposal made it that far, that would have been unthinkable a decade ago.

His successor Ald. Lawson, who coincidentally is temporarily chairing the zoning committee, is the one pushing for the current ADU ordinance. Some of the progressive alders are also upzoning Western Ave in their ward. Ald. Napolitano's zoning committee approved two new midrises in Edison Park and told residents to suck it up or else City Hall will give them a problem (article). Lastly, Johnson's Cut the Tape initiative has said they want to allow 3-flats citywide. City Hall is slowly realizing that there needs to be much more development across the city, even if it makes some people upset. I say we're entering a paradigm shift where we will see much more development across the city, even in places like Beverly and Sauganash

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development