HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 9:07 PM

I'm pretty sure Winnetka, Glencoe and Kenilworth are the most expensive Chicagoland suburbs. Wilmette is up there too. Whatever encompasses the New Trier school district is particularly desirable.

Frequently it's also more of a lake-adjacent thing, regardless of community, with the fanciest homes closest to the lake, and then getting more modest as one heads west. But I'm pretty sure Lake Forest and Highland Park are psf cheaper and less desirable than the communities to the south. I don't think the schools are as good, and that's a pretty long commute. Also pretty sure Lake Forest is (or was) WASPy and Highland Park more Jewish.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 9:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

There's so many different ways to measure this, and they're all very well-off places to begin with, that a precise ranking will depend on how you weight things.

But from the perspective of a local who grew up on the Northshore (Wilmette), I'd roughly rank the 6 core lakefront northshore burbs in terms of "fancy-ness" as such:

1. Kenilworth
2. Winnetka
3. Glencoe
4. Lake Forest
5. Highland Park
6. Wilmette

Quibble away; I ain't dying on no hill for any of those picks....

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 17, 2024 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:55 AM

Guys . . . did no one catch this is a Wendell Cox report? I missed that at first.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:05 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Guys . . . did no one catch this is a Wendell Cox report? I missed that at first.
I noticed it was Demographia since the posted mentioned it when presenting, but I didn't see the relevance. While Cox has ideological reasons for a lot of what he does and that can cause him to choose less than useful methodology, if this really is what it purports to be which is the ratio of median incomes to median housing prices, then the data is what it is. I find with demographia, the issue isn't so much that the underlying data they present is wrong but rather which data they choose to selectively present and the conclusions they draw from it. But in this case the results aren't really surprising enough to raise many eye brows.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Weird. How is Milwaukee that expensive?

Something is funky with the NAR data. Grand Rapids is apples-apples much cheaper than Metro Detroit. Granted, maybe its the differing distribution of apples but I suspect something is off.
It really is that expensive. I've been following the Milwaukee RE market for close to 20 years now and it's INSANE how crazy it's gotten. I tried to look for a condo for my friend in the under $200k price range (which would have been SUPER easy just a few years ago) and I couldn't find even a handful of places in her price range in most of the metro area. I know some realtors there and homes are selling like crazy! There are bad areas of the city; but, they just keep adding amenities to the good areas and it's really reached a critical mass and spread across the metro. Housing is reflecting that now.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
It really is that expensive. I've been following the Milwaukee RE market for close to 20 years now and it's INSANE how crazy it's gotten. I tried to look for a condo for my friend in the under $200k price range (which would have been SUPER easy just a few years ago) and I couldn't find even a handful of places in her price range in most of the metro area. I know some realtors there and homes are selling like crazy! There are bad areas of the city; but, they just keep adding amenities to the good areas and it's really reached a critical mass and spread across the metro. Housing is reflecting that now.
Wow! I used to live in Milwaukee and a I guess a few years ago used to look at condos for fun online on the East Side and Third Ward areas. It was easy back then to find cheap and nice condos. Need to check it out again.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I noticed it was Demographia since the posted mentioned it when presenting, but I didn't see the relevance. While Cox has ideological reasons for a lot of what he does and that can cause him to choose less than useful methodology, if this really is what it purports to be which is the ratio of median incomes to median housing prices, then the data is what it is. I find with demographia, the issue isn't so much that the underlying data they present is wrong but rather which data they choose to selectively present and the conclusions they draw from it. But in this case the results aren't really surprising enough to raise many eye brows.
Yeah, I know Demographia can be controversial around here so I deliberately called it out. But their methodology seemed straightforward. My main criticism is that they just limited it to rich Anglophone places.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions