HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 8:59 PM

Great post thanks.

Also at 1:35 he mentions 'Almost 900' and 75 stories' vs 851' and 73 in the title....

Skyscrapercenter is listed at 851' as well but 72 floors - https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...th-tower/37138

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_raven View Post

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:24 PM

EDIT: See my followup post - I changed my mind about this but thought I would leave it as it contains some specific details. I was trying to rectify why the physical models shown in the video don't match the renderings.

Looking at the models in the segment, there appear to be some major differences vs the current renderings.

My conclusion based on the changes in the physical models and descriptions they've demonstrated in this video is that this has gotten a height bump to 275m or 902ft. And the shorter building may haven gotten trimmed a little. I think they probably just used an old 3D model here for illustration purposes.

See details and explanations below.

1. In this clip - we see the 'petals' on the taller building start MUCH closer to the ground.

2. Closer up - additionally the petals are more offset and staggered - which they mention improves wind 'confusion' on the building.

3. They've been busy trying a lot of models in the wind tunnel...

4. Previous renderings from 2020. Notice the petals start much higher up from the ground and are much less offset. Additionally the height of the two buildings is more comparable to each other here than the models in #1.

5. Confusingly, they also show this 3D model which aligns with the original renders in #4 but not the models from #1 and #2. BUT - they say 275 meters which equals 902'. I think they probably just used the old 3D model for illustration purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
Great post thanks.

Also at 1:35 he mentions 'Almost 900' and 75 stories' vs 851' and 73 in the title....

Skyscrapercenter is listed at 851' as well but 72 floors - https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/bui...th-tower/37138

Last edited by BrickellBased; Jun 14, 2024 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:35 PM
DENNAB

Weren't they limited to 875'?

I wouldn't get too excited about a potential height bump considering to many people 850' is basically "almost 900'"

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 1:31 AM

I wonder if part of the disconnect is that SOM's website appears to be using the old renderings that had been coupled with descriptions of "nearly 900 feet," and maybe the video creator got that info therefrom? Unless the architects themselves in the video also used that description and I missed it (I would assume they would not accidentally use outdated figures)

It is interesting though as pointed out that the model seemingly asserted to be the final version definitely appears to be of different design and proportion than the last renderings/heights we got

Last edited by iguy; Jun 14, 2024 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguy View Post
I wonder if part of the disconnect is that SOM's website appears to be using the old renderings that had been coupled with descriptions of "nearly 900 feet," and maybe the video creator got that info therefrom? Unless the architects themselves in the video also used that description and I missed it (I would assume they would not accidentally use outdated figures)

It is interesting though as pointed out that the model seemingly asserted to be the final version definitely appears to be of different design and proportion than the last renderings/heights we got
Hmm, examining more closely I think maybe those models they are showing are the original design and not a new modified design. Eg see the original renders vs the two angles of the models.

The models match the original renderings more closely in terms of where the steps start, the offsetting of the steps, and the height difference in the two buildings.

The weird thing is the guy sitting down has the location of those two buildings reversed if those are models of the original taller design. But the guy in the second photo with the 3 versions has it correct.

We have no idea when this was filmed I guess. It could have been years ago...

I guess I am less optimistic now. I don't know why he chose 275 meters unless he just thought that's the conversion for 'almost 900 feet'. 275m = 902 feet.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 2:27 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
I guess I am less optimistic now. I don't know why he chose 275 meters unless he just thought that's the conversion for 'almost 900 feet'. 275m = 902 feet.
Probably, also the video may have been made a while ago before the height was decided.

Old Posted Today, 5:33 AM

Did anyone else see the Spire show up in this weeks episode of Dark Matter on Apple TV (Ep 7)?

It shows up about 11min into the episode. Then it's part of the plot.

Can't figure out how to screen grab it from the stream.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction