HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Is this through Michelle Smith’s ward? Did they say when they plan to start demo?
Smith hasn't served since 2022. Timmy Knudsen is the Ald. now.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Unfortunately, I've heard Chase will close the lower level of this plaza to public access.

They want to be applauded for keeping jobs in the Loop, but this would be an incredible slap in the face to the city and the many Loop workers who have enjoyed this plaza on lunch breaks for years.
Super lame of them. To say the least. What bullshit that is.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 6:38 PM

Looks like the ADU ordinance is on tomorrow's zoning agenda, maybe Mayor Johnson and Ald. Lawson think they have enough votes for it to pass

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 9:45 AM

2600 N. Clark

Fill out the survey to help boost this project's chances.

https://ward43.org/wp-content/upload...ed-7-10-24.pdf

2600 N. Clark Street Survey (Please respond by Monday, July 22nd)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...8CiNQ/viewform

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 1:24 PM

Nope, guess they don't have the votes

Granny flat measure delayed amid fight over how to include single-family homes
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/poli...e-vote-delayed

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:52 PM

Agree it sucks but with many Loop workers' safety concerns about working downtown (which are justified) - this is what you get. Many have left the loop entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Unfortunately, I've heard Chase will close the lower level of this plaza to public access.

They want to be applauded for keeping jobs in the Loop, but this would be an incredible slap in the face to the city and the many Loop workers who have enjoyed this plaza on lunch breaks for years.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Fill out the survey to help boost this project's chances.

2600 N. Clark Street Survey (Please respond by Monday, July 22nd)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...8CiNQ/viewform
Thanks for linking to this, BVic.

EVERYONE! There is a wonderful opportunity to uncover and preserve some early-20th-C. history with this development. Mention in the survey the extant blue terra cotta that's on the N end of the building to be demo'd; specifically that it likely exists across the whole building. I think it would be amazing to have this preserved as the base of the building a la what they're doing with the Dinkel's on Lincoln in Lakeview.

I emailed Knudsen's office and got a promising response back from Isabella Corya (Director of Zoning and Sustainable Urban Development) at his office. She said she will bring up the terra cotta to the development team. This developer is asking for B3-5, so there is room to negotiate on the demo!

Link to Google map view of the terra cotta that can be dropped right into the survey for reference: https://maps.app.goo.gl/SB6qEV9qRqkV4mt87

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
Agree it sucks but with many Loop workers' safety concerns about working downtown (which are justified) - this is what you get. Many have left the loop entirely.
Did they shut down the plaza in the 90s when violent crime was twice as bad?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 6:47 PM

2600 N Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
2600 N Clark St (Clark & Wrightwood) in Lincoln Park will be 20 units w/ground floor retail/commercial. Not sure how many floors in total but guessing at least 3-4. There is a massing online showing something like 6, but we'll see... Right now it's a 1 story commercial building that has all stores vacated. Should be great to see a density bump both people and height related on the street. That street has such a great opportunity to be something like you'd see in NYC if they'd replaced more of the 1 story commercial buildings with 5+ story ones.
There's now a survey online (Note in the survey - 1 = MOST important and 5 = LEAST important. This almost got me...)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

It also has a link to the community presentation:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Thanks for linking to this, BVic.

EVERYONE! There is a wonderful opportunity to uncover and preserve some early-20th-C. history with this development. Mention in the survey the extant blue terra cotta that's on the N end of the building to be demo'd; specifically that it likely exists across the whole building. I think it would be amazing to have this preserved as the base of the building a la what they're doing with the Dinkel's on Lincoln in Lakeview.

I emailed Knudsen's office and got a promising response back from Isabella Corya (Director of Zoning and Sustainable Urban Development) at his office. She said she will bring up the terra cotta to the development team. This developer is asking for B3-5, so there is room to negotiate on the demo!

Link to Google map view of the terra cotta that can be dropped right into the survey for reference: https://maps.app.goo.gl/SB6qEV9qRqkV4mt87

Will do the same, though will make clear that if it comes down to choosing between preserving the terra cotta and the development going up, I'd rather have the development

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 8:16 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
Will do the same, though will make clear that if it comes down to choosing between preserving the terra cotta and the development going up, I'd rather have the development
Yea. I am not even going to bother making an appeal. Any objection or hindrance that could be used as a pretext to reject this proposal is not worth it. Not that one random online opinion would sway any party involved anyway, still.....

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Yea. I am not even going to bother making an appeal. Any objection or hindrance that could be used as a pretext to reject this proposal is not worth it. Not that one random online opinion would sway any party involved anyway, still.....
Collective action problem. No individual opinion will sway, but an idea therein that was theretofore unknown could inspire someone. And multiple people addressing the same aspect of something could be seen as a representative sample of a broader population.

I think the proposed new building has some good qualities, but humane it is not. The massing scheme is a welcome new way of going about infill like this, but the treatment of the facade looks crude and austere to me. Lincoln Park is surely not lacking for density; I'd rather retain the feel of a specifically-Chicago, turn-of-the-century streetcar street than have a soulless, blocky thing that adds 60 apts. The older, smaller retail spaces (with newly uncovered royal blue terra cotta!) would surely lease better local businesses than what will surely be some Internetty dental clinic and a vape shop.

All that said, I enthused about the new development to the alderman as I would ultimately like to see it happen. But I am ambivalent about it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 7:06 PM

Edison Park Apartment Complex Approved Despite Pushback From Neighbors

Quote:
An 82-unit apartment development is coming to Edison Park despite some pushback from neighbors.

The City Council on Wednesday approved a request to rezone the property at 6750 N. Northwest Highway, the former M.J. Suerth Funeral Home. The rezoning allows developer Valdir Barion to construct two, four-story buildings, each with 41 apartments, 41 parking spaces and a courtyard.
“This place is becoming a ghost town,” Maureen Neylon said during the April Zoning Advisory Committee meeting. “My 27-year-old son came through here a couple of weeks ago, and the first thing he said was, ‘Mom, what happened to downtown Edison Park? Where are all the restaurants?’”

“You have to be open to the neighborhood changing,” Neylon, a 30-year resident of Edison Park, said.
https://blockclubchicago.org/2024/07...rom-neighbors/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:15 PM

Iconic Wrigley Field Rooftops Will Be Torn Down, Replaced By Apartment Building

A piece of Wrigleyville history is set to meet the wrecking ball.

The Chicago City Council approved a rezoning application to turn a trio of beloved century-old buildings across from Wrigley Field's right field bleachers on Sheffield Avenue into one 29-unit apartment building. The action came despite a concerted neighborhood effort to save the buildings.

https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...uilding-125147

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
A piece of Wrigleyville history is set to meet the wrecking ball.

The Chicago City Council approved a rezoning application to turn a trio of beloved century-old buildings across from Wrigley Field's right field bleachers on Sheffield Avenue into one 29-unit apartment building. The action came despite a concerted neighborhood effort to save the buildings.

https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...uilding-125147
Woah really that’s something do you have renderings of apartments

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteking View Post
Woah really that’s something do you have renderings of apartments
"The ownership group behind the project, which rooftop property investor Marc Anguiano is spearheading, intends to demolish the properties at 3627, 3631 and 3633 N. Sheffield Ave. to construct a five-story, 29-unit apartment building with 11 parking spaces along the alley behind the building, according to Block Club. The rooftop design also includes a pair of pickleball courts."

I think this is it:

https://www.44thward.org/development...3-n-sheffield/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 7:17 PM

Love the rooftop pickle ball courts.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 8:27 PM

I believe the rooftops being replaced were already closed? views blocked by one of the new screens at Wrigley.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development