HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
SEPTA to explore increasing service for new 76ers arena.
Summary: the arena proposal targets 40% of gameday spectators to use public transit. To reach this goal, SEPTA would have to increase service on all modes (regional rail, buses, and MFL), though no specific plans on how to do this. The 76ers want to include a free SEPTA pass with each ticket to encourage using transit, which would require sponsorships.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s
My guess is 40% is a lowball number. With so many transit options to the arena, including walking for those who live/work downtown, I predict the number is closer to 60%.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
My guess is 40% is a lowball number. With so many transit options to the arena, including walking for those who live/work downtown, I predict the number is closer to 60%.
I'm pretty sure the 76ers said the majority of their spectators come from Philadelphia county and a majority of them use transit. I think policy makers grossly overestimate how many people want to drive and sit in traffic.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
I’m sorry but if you don’t think it’s going to be an absolute shit show driving down there during games then you are delusional
Don't drive!

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
All the talk (broadly, not here) of added traffic bc of the 76ers arena is starting to irk me. Some will drive, but I bet most people will use common sense and take transit. They can get off at regional rail at 8th and walk through the mall 2 blocks to new arena, far fewer blocks than they’d walk at stadium complex. Just build the damn thing. People will adjust accordingly.

As for Chinatown, cities change and evolve frequently. Get over it. No group has a permanent claim to your blocks. Next.
Jefferson Station is at 11th. It is quite literally right beneath the proposed stadium.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:59 PM

Also, part of the plan is to include a free SEPTA pass with every Sixers ticket. I assure you many suburbanites would figure out how to use the regional rail if it's free for them. That's a huge move on the Sixers part imo

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Also, part of the plan is to include a free SEPTA pass with every Sixers ticket. I assure you many suburbanites would figure out how to use the regional rail if it's free for them. That's a huge move on the Sixers part imo
The Warriors started doing this when they build Chase Center. It's a no brainer. Your ticket includes a digital transit ticket and then the team reimburses BART for however many tickets are used for an event. For the Sixers, it's pennies, but for Septa it's huge. I agree 40% is on the low end but I'll use it for now. Let's say there's 100 events a year with sellout crowds of 18,000. We're talking about 720,000 paid Septa/Patco trips ONE WAY. If you take it there and back, 1.4 million. Some of those would be MFL, Patco, BSL and regional rail obviously.

Septa has been too quiet in not lobbying for this arena more. They don't need to be neutral to not offend Chinatown. They're facing a massive fiscal cliff, they should be saying Septa's long term viability is stronger with a downtown stadium.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

I was on Eclipse today looking at issued permits and I happen to recall a zoning permit for a residential building at 4318 Market St. in University City issued back on Jun 13, 2023 that either wasn't mentioned here or the high interest rates prevented it from going to the next stage. Not even any renderings were issued. Last checked, it's an abandoned CAMSA Auto Sales lot.

Quote:
9 STORY 95 UNIT MULTI FAMILY RESIDENCE. UNDERGROUND PARKING. SIZE, LOCATION AND EXTENTS PER PLAN
Developer is University City Apt and KCA Design Associates is the designer.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Don't drive!
Oh trust me I’m walking lol. But to drive will be absolutely awful. I actually think the walking percentage reported is too low. If I’m still in South Philly by then I’ll still walk to games

Old Posted Today, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I’m sorry but if you don’t think it’s going to be an absolute shit show driving down there during games then you are delusional
People will figure it out and stop driving. The location forces behavioral shifts. Philly can make that transition happen faster by creating a congestion toll for those who want to unnecessarily clog the streets with their cars. And that toll can go towards modernizing and improving transit.

Old Posted Today, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Lol.

Old Posted Today, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
People will figure it out and stop driving. The location forces behavioral shifts. Philly can make that transition happen faster by creating a congestion toll for those who want to unnecessarily clog the streets with their cars. And that toll can go towards modernizing and improving transit.
That would never fly in Philly. It couldn't even get off the ground in NYC. Great article on the pros and cons here by the way, https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...new-york-city/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development