HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 5:55 PM

Great update, F&M....The mural of the Five Royales turned out great and really adds to the streetscape at that corner. Being so close to the Ramkat feels somewhat appropriate. Hopefully, concert goers to the Ramkat will take a moment to google the group and find out more about it.

F&M, that 220,000 sq ft. bldg. that US FOODS is renovating near the old ATT plant on Old Lexington Rd. Not placing where its at. And does this project with their Stockyard Brand represent another win for GreaterWS Inc.

The food truck project as described does sound awesome but I have reservations that area will be able to draw from other areas of the city. Although with Twin Cities Church and the new Brunson Elementary going being built just south of there could provide a "bridge" to the site. Also, very pumped about the comissary kitchen. Much needed amenity for the area.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 7:40 PM

Outstanding update Matthew.

New Winston-Salem Dash owner buys lots surrounding Truist Stadium for over $6 million

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-baseball.html

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Jul 2, 2024 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 1:28 PM

That sounds extremely encouraging in that perhaps the original concept of the ballpark development plan will finally be executed. Since most of the article is behind a paywall; was there any other details shared other than the amount of acreage involved? Eight acres seems like a lot...Please say that Roy Carroll sold his storage unit building to them

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 2:32 PM

"The seller of the property located at 930 W. First Street was Brookstown Development Partners LLC while the seller of the 929 Ballpark Way property was Triple Play Partners LLC. Billy Prim, a Winston-Salem businessman and former owner of the Dash, is listed as the registered agent for both Brookstown Development Partners and Triple Play Partners.

Diamond Baseball Holdings, a company that owns and operates multiple Minor League Baseball teams affiliated with Major League Baseball teams, purchased the Dash from Prim in April, less than a week before this season's opening day. Diamond Baseball Holdings retained all previous Dash employees, including the team's President and General Manager Brian DeAngelis, who started the role in 2021. Prim is also the founder and former CEO of Blue Rhino and Primo Water Corporation who bought the dash in 2003.

Diamond Baseball Holdings and Prim both did not respond to Triad Business Journal Request for comment by the time of publication Monday.

The Dash is still the High-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. The city has also made $5 million in upgrades to the stadium in recent years, which was required by Major League Baseball's new facility standards.

Diamond Baseball Holdings was founded in 2021 and owns and operates 35 minor league teams in the United States. It also purchased the Charlotte Knights at the end of June, which is the Triple-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox."

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 5:33 PM

My biggest pet peeve about our ballpark, which I believe is shared with the majority of Winston Salem residents, is that there is a severe lack of nearby entertainment to bridge downtown activity with the facility. I'm not going to beat a dead horse by bringing up the prime location of the storage units that provide no contribution to ballpark activity (I legitimately cannot drive by that structure without getting mad about it), but you go to most other ballparks in the country and they're surrounded by restaurants and bars that create a symbiotic relationship, resulting in higher attendance at games.
I'm not explaining anything revolutionary here, I would just love to grab dinner or a beverage that's a stone's throw away from the field and walk over to a game, as is a common practice for those that work over in American Tobacco near the Durham Bull's stadium. Other than a downtown amphitheater and grocery store, building up the area around the ballpark is fairly high on my list of city wants. Converting those large lots to something special would be a huge facelift for this city.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 6:56 PM

Not that I would deter development, but I wonder if the city can handle two new potential entertainment districts (this hypothetical one, and the LJVM). If I had to choose one, I'd rather see the Dash ballpark area be developed, and feel that would likely have more success (especially once the multi-use path connects Ardmore to the ballpark). But there is no denying that the LJVM area brings in more out-of-towners, and for many people, it's the only image they have of the area.

Not saying we cannot have both, but it would be interesting if both areas, anchored by sporting venues, undergo development at the same time.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 11:39 PM

I'm
Really curious to see how the Deacon Boulevard development progresses. It has some impressive heft behind the project.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 1:40 AM
Fourth and Main

I saw that property transaction, but didn't report on it since I thought it was the already announced Diamond Baseball Holdings' purchase of the team.

A detail the local news isn't reporting: The incentives to build a parking deck for development on the site were cancelled by the City at Prim's land-owning companies' request, just before the sale. I could be wrong about this, but I have a strong feeling that site was purchased as the ballpark's parking lots. I really want to see that site developed and so does the City. City leaders have said they want to see something other than apartments on that site, so Prim likely couldn't sell it to another mega apartment building developer... and that may lead to it remaining as parking under the new owners? The lack of restaurants or bars near the ballpark is really a failure at the City level, since they didn't make any requirements for retail/restaurants on the ground-level of those mega apartment buildings. It was just said they (mega single-use apartment buildings) would generate customers for the existing retail/restaurants. The developers would often try to get-out of adding retail spaces and it was said retail would be in this last phase behind the outfield wall. There should've been an overlay with a retail requirement. I'm sure the team benefits from more purchases made inside their property. However, they may lose local impulse ticket purchases by not having retail/restaurants/bars near the ballpark?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 1:23 PM

On the food truck location, Matthew was spot-on on the B2C side of things. I’m really interested to see the plans. I think the commissary kitchen component and B2B side of things is a homerun, I’m a bit skeptical on that area drawing people in consistently but will be interested to see how things develop.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...ldings-nc.html

As much as I’d like to see more entertainment and options around the ballpark, I’m reading that as Diamond wants to be able to profit off of parking at their own stadium, not that they’re trying to develop the land around the area.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 4:59 PM

The food truck park site is only a few yards from burgeoning development going on a block south on Patterson. But it’s a hard few yards.

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Jul 5, 2024 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Today, 12:17 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

So much ground was broken in the past week and we had both Governor Roy Cooper and U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg at two sites! Lets get updated!

No song from Lauren this week, so I'm selecting something to send to my amazing wife this morning:
Video Link

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Work is starting on the cladding:

Credit: bip_development

New Craft Brewery:
"Could" we see a new brewery in Kernersville? Shiny Happy Brewing appears to be starting the process of creating a craft brewery. There are many steps..

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:

Credit: Juan J. Mussen

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:
"Here is the front door, featuring tempered glass and creative use of oak base shoe trim. Also, two window casings prepped and painted by Jillian!"

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

WoodSpring Suites Extended Stay Hotel:

It's almost finished!

Credit: Vannoy Construction

Pace of the Triad - West:
This project appears to be too large not to include on our proposals & construction list and weekly updates... if I can find any future updates. It's a medical facility, designed by LS3P, scheduled for completion in Summer 2025. Landmark Builders is the general contractor for this project.

Credit: PACE of the Triad

Interstate 74:

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg at the site:

Credit: SecretaryPete

Credit: Flatiron Construction

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: flblum

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

Credit: Vannoy Construction

Alternative Transportation:

Amtrak at Union Station:

Video Link

Oliver Cycling Park:
We now have details on the Pavilion. It will be 1.278 acres and 55,656-square-feet in size. This proposal is described as a civic and arts space, contemplative space, and outdoor museum, with art installations and interpretive elements. Look for a legacy wall with the Oliver family history. Construction is scheduled to start in June 2025.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
This project has now resumed construction. Smith-Rowe is the general contractor and completion is set for Summer 2025. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and Governor Roy Cooper spoke at an event to restart construction. This multi-use path is noteworthy for being a bicycle commuter path and not just another recreational path. It's also designed for faster cycling, with tunnels and bridges under-and-over car traffic. When the second phase is completed, this path will connect the metro area's two major employment centers with housing, restaurants, and entertainment.

Credit: Natasha Smith

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg:

Credit: Natasha Smith

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg:

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

Credit: Kevin Mundy

Your City

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations