HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 1:38 AM

I wonder if he's going to freeze the strikers' bank accounts.

Old Posted Today, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Wow, I can't believe many of you are discussing Covid stuff in August of 2024.
We are still dealing with the consequences of the government and central bank's actions from COVID. It is still relevant, especially in terms of lessons learned.

For example:
- Give the government extra power and they will fight tooth and nail to keep it
- Turns out printing money does cause inflation
- Cheap mortgages don't slow down viruses

Old Posted Today, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
As we all know that only happens to those engaged in illegal activities. As long as the strikers do so within the rule of law they have nothing to fear.

Well perhaps they should fear the neighbors, friends and family being disappointed that they were unable to resolve their differences with their employers.

Old Posted Today, 3:54 AM

Quote:
It's a legal strike or actually it's a lockout.

Old Posted Today, 3:57 AM

Quote:
We are still dealing with the consequences of the government and central bank's actions from COVID. It is still relevant, especially in terms of lessons learned.

For example:
- Give the government extra power and they will fight tooth and nail to keep it
- Turns out printing money does cause inflation
- Cheap mortgages don't slow down viruses
Just about everyone I know has moved on and doesn't obsess about covid stuff. The only exception I've seen are freedom convoy supporters who haven't gotten over the pandemic and aren't actually fighting for true freedom.

Old Posted Today, 4:21 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
As we all know that only happens to those engaged in illegal activities. As long as the strikers do so within the rule of law they have nothing to fear.

Well perhaps they should fear the neighbors, friends and family being disappointed that they were unable to resolve their differences with their employers.
The railroad industry in North America has come deadset on running "precision railroading" which meant automating some things without giving a thought to others, which means putting workers, communities (see Lac Megantic), and customers at risk. This isn't some companies and some unions disagreeing, it is about industrial practices across the continent. There was an attempt to get this addressed in the US last year but it largely failed (the workers got some specific days off, but whether it is going to be enforced or not is another question.) An attempt is going to be made here and likely the companies are going to win because golly-gee-whillickers, computers are fancy schmancy stuff.

Some of the same issues are being experienced in the automotive industry. Workers getting briskly transfered after lockdowns, and now all of a sudden there are deaths in auto plants amongst those getting transfered willy-nilly.

Old Posted Today, 4:22 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Good luck freezing CPKC and CN's bank accounts. It is a lockout, the companies are striking.

Old Posted Today, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
The railroad industry in North America has come deadset on running "precision railroading" which meant automating some things without giving a thought to others, which means putting workers, communities (see Lac Megantic), and customers at risk. This isn't some companies and some unions disagreeing, it is about industrial practices across the continent. There was an attempt to get this addressed in the US last year but it largely failed (the workers got some specific days off, but whether it is going to be enforced or not is another question.) An attempt is going to be made here and likely the companies are going to win because golly-gee-whillickers, computers are fancy schmancy stuff.
I'm all for balance between workers and corporations but the idea the union is worreid about customers and communities and that just happens to coincide with them workind less hours seems dubious. They want to make the same money and work less. We all would. It seems to be a monopoly so they can no longer strike fairly. If they did one company at a time they probably would have done much better but they got greedy and went for the head shot.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada