HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
At the end of the day, you couldn't do much on Pembina anyway other than a glorified bus lane, which if I understand correctly is essentially part of the master plan anyway. Putting a grade-separated line on Pembina would cost billions and would simply never happen. With the dog leg we get an actual separated line which is (slowly) creating TOD, and we'll still get the souped-up bus lane on Pembina too.
You are correct. Putting a grade separated line on Pembina Hwy would ahve cost too much. That is why some civil engineers and city planners were pushing for the line to be located along the rail line ROW directly parallel to Pembina.

I have no idea having a grade separated line on Pembina was even considered.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Our cheapness when it comes to building stuff drives me nuts. Fare-paid zones are the golbal standard for good transit.
^ well said.

Maybe we can install some toll booths if we plan on making the Perimeter Hwy limited access, or at any extension along the inner city beltway.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The problem with the BRT is paying fares at the bus door. Need to pay the fares prior to boarding to eliminate the delays associated with 80 people paying the fare at the door.
As we speak, the City of Edmonton is constructing turnstyles at entry points for most of their LRT stations. This will serve to make the lines safer (there are dozens of drug addicts loitering, and smoking meth in the open, as well as mentally unstable people just scaring transit users away).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 8:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
^ well said.

Maybe we can install some toll booths if we plan on making the Perimeter Hwy limited access, or at any extension along the inner city beltway.
Totally onboard, make it some nominal fee, it doesn't have to be a ton, but enough that it can generate a little revenue to help upgrade and maintain other strategic corridors in the province. That said, pushback would be immense.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Totally onboard, make it some nominal fee, it doesn't have to be a ton, but enough that it can generate a little revenue to help upgrade and maintain other strategic corridors in the province. That said, pushback would be immense.
I'd spin it as a way to fund getting rid of the at grade intersections/rail crossings on the perimeter as well. Start paying a bit now, and it will get faster sooner.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 3:27 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
I'd spin it as a way to fund getting rid of the at grade intersections/rail crossings on the perimeter as well. Start paying a bit now, and it will get faster sooner.
It's not a bad pitch, but I fear that it would not be able to clear the hurdle of pissed off motorists.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
You are correct. Putting a grade separated line on Pembina Hwy would ahve cost too much. That is why some civil engineers and city planners were pushing for the line to be located along the rail line ROW directly parallel to Pembina.

I have no idea having a grade separated line on Pembina was even considered.
But then wouldn't you still have like a dozen streets to cross at-grade? Is it really any faster than the dog leg if the buses have to stop at all those lights? I suppose you can sync them up when they detect a bus coming but it's also going to mess with traffic having all those new lights on the side streets 50 meters away from Pembina

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 11:24 PM

Quote:
But then wouldn't you still have like a dozen streets to cross at-grade? Is it really any faster than the dog leg if the buses have to stop at all those lights? I suppose you can sync them up when they detect a bus coming but it's also going to mess with traffic having all those new lights on the side streets 50 meters away from Pembina
Seems like a wash to me. What really slows down the Blue line is the lack of fare paid zones and too many stops. Clarence station does not need to exist 350 m from Chevrolet station.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Seems like a wash to me. What really slows down the Blue line is the lack of fare paid zones and too many stops. Clarence station does not need to exist 350 m from Chevrolet station.
Clarence Station has a large park and ride as well as connecting with the 680/681. Chevrier Station connects for the 649, as well as service for a large number of industrial workers nearby.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 1:04 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Clarence Station has a large park and ride as well as connecting with the 680/681. Chevrier Station connects for the 649, as well as service for a large number of industrial workers nearby.
Right but that can be designed differently from the outset. Why wasn’t it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:40 PM

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 7:50 PM

Quote:
It's closer to 1/2 dozen as the city would close off 2-3 of the streets that would intersect the BRT. In addition, they would build a overpasse/underpass in the most congested areas, like they did with the dog leg route.

Having the BRT parallel the rail line would have provided service to the high density areas along Pembina, and the high school. Instead they built the route in an area where people use vehicles to commute. So not only esthetic BRT commute longer, but it serves less of its targeted population.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan