HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 8:45 PM

Any idea of when a grocery store here would realistically be operational?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Why? There's higher end options in the area already including the Independant on Bank and the Farmboy on Metcalfe. I bet the residents of downtown would appreciate a discount grocer much more. Living downtown shouldn't mean you have to drive to the burbs to save money on groceries. The closest discount grocer downtown would be Food Basics on Kirkwood or St-Laurent at the moment (or Walmart Trainyards).
I agree. And even if Farm Boy on Metcalfe is a bit long of a walk from the west end of downtown, Farm Boy Rideau is an option via O-train. Can probably do the round trip on a single transfer unless you shop really slow.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Why? There's higher end options in the area already including the Independant on Bank and the Farmboy on Metcalfe. I bet the residents of downtown would appreciate a discount grocer much more. Living downtown shouldn't mean you have to drive to the burbs to save money on groceries. The closest discount grocer downtown would be Food Basics on Kirkwood or St-Laurent at the moment (or Walmart Trainyards).
I wouldn’t buy meat/produce from Food Basics. So, if I need something quickly or am doing a small grocery run, I’m looking at a 4km walk there/back to Farmboy or a train ride to Rideau. I don’t find that to be terribly convenient (I’ve been doing it for 10 years, so was hoping for that quality of a store to be closer). The Independent is a touch closer, but not much. It’s purely personal.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2024, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Or Maxi on St. Joseph.
One reason I doubt Food Basics at Moon location is because Food Basics tends to cater more for bulk purchasing. Maybe this is fact or fiction, it's been years since I've been to one. Another reason I doubt is because to my knowledge Food Basics does not offer "store-made" hot/cold take-away meals. I would think in that area a lot of people would be popping in to pick up a meal for dinner and/or just a few items. I doubt many would be shopping to feed a family of 4 or 5 for a week. And to buy bulk supplies, one most always would want a car as opposed to walking or transit. I'm not even sure Moon would have parking available, though I could be wrong.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 2:43 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I bet Food Basics would be just a lil' cheaper than the ol' Slater Street Market
Haha. A high end Fifth Ave grocer would be just a tad cheaper than the Slater Street Market. But all joking aside, Slater market knows that they have competition coming in the near future but they don't care as they are a 24 hour outlet who will be selling beer and spirits in September so they still have the upper hand. I bought a loaf of white bread from there today for $5.99+ tax. I cried.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 2:46 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
As someone living in the immediate area - and without a car - I’d be pretty disappointed with a Food Basics. I was hoping for something a little “higher end”.
As someone who also lives in the immediate area, I totally disagree with your comment. Get out of your chair and walk to Farm Boy or Independent. Or better yet, download instacart.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2024, 1:40 PM

I live in the area too. I just want a grocery to open. Any grocery store at this point. Just do it already.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 4:07 PM

Toronto has two urban Food Basics. Will be nice to get one here.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Or Maxi on St. Joseph.
Convenient for me but I hate that location with a passion. If I have the time, much rather go to one of the newer ones in the west end or to the rebranded Provigo.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 2:44 PM

Still no movement whatsoever in the grocery store space.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 3:29 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I was walking by last night and there was a pair of tourists posing for photos using this building and presumably its lighting as a backdrop for a photo. So that's kind of cool.

The building is also pretty nice from the street at night. The sconce lighting on the walls in between the windows looks pretty sweet. I did notice though... as per usual, the talent level of the masons is near zero. The blocks and stone weave in and out of each other so as the light casts down its just a bunch of shadowed blocks, so that stood out to me quite a bit.

Still nice materials and design though from the street level. I wish CP 1/4 had this street presence.

Side note... why are the bus shelters outside on Lyon st so dang fancy??? Unlike any others in the city.. they have potlights!!! I'm not complaining. They look great.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I was walking by last night and there was a pair of tourists posing for photos using this building and presumably its lighting as a backdrop for a photo. So that's kind of cool.

The building is also pretty nice from the street at night. The sconce lighting on the walls in between the windows looks pretty sweet. I did notice though... as per usual, the talent level of the masons is near zero. The blocks and stone weave in and out of each other so as the light casts down its just a bunch of shadowed blocks, so that stood out to me quite a bit.

Still nice materials and design though from the street level. I wish CP 1/4 had this street presence.

Side note... why are the bus shelters outside on Lyon st so dang fancy??? Unlike any others in the city.. they have potlights!!! I'm not complaining. They look great.
Yeah, workmanship nowadays is often suspect. Overall though, not a bad building. Never thought a Claridge project would ever be a tourist selfie draw.

Although the street presence of this one is decent (gas meters not withstanding), I find the placement of the grocery store entrance on Queen less than ideal. Queen is the least busy face for this building. Albert would probably have been best for high visibility from office workers walking north along Lyon, while avoiding the crowds on Lyon. The entrance is also seems flat and identical to the residential entrance (though I may be miss-remembering). Royale in comparison is inset between two stone walls.

I think bus shelters at all three Downtown O-Train stations are of higher quality than the rest, for their high visibility and usage. Happy to see the City invested a bit more for those.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Re-posting some of the floor plans, give us an idea of the grocery store space.

The roof top terrace is pretty cool when viewed from above. Too bad I can't find the 10th floor plans with the second roof top terrace.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Although the street presence of this one is decent (gas meters not withstanding), I find the placement of the grocery store entrance on Queen less than ideal. Queen is the least busy face for this building. Albert would probably have been best for high visibility from office workers walking north along Lyon, while avoiding the crowds on Lyon....
People that work in the area and use transit will probably find the Queen Street entrance more convenient. Grocery store door and O Train access door are just steps apart.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 1:47 PM

The 10th floor terrace is quite nice. Equipped with 2 BBQ's and a good amount of seating and greenery. Only problem I've had so far is that the waterproof furniture often pools water underneath the cushions and gets all over you when you sit.

If I knew how to post photos here, I would take some of the two terraces.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 5:11 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbenp View Post
The 10th floor terrace is quite nice. Equipped with 2 BBQ's and a good amount of seating and greenery. Only problem I've had so far is that the waterproof furniture often pools water underneath the cushions and gets all over you when you sit.

If I knew how to post photos here, I would take some of the two terraces.
Posting photos is quite straightforward. Take a look at this thread: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=246386

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 3:55 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, workmanship nowadays is often suspect. Overall though, not a bad building. Never thought a Claridge project would ever be a tourist selfie draw.

Although the street presence of this one is decent (gas meters not withstanding), I find the placement of the grocery store entrance on Queen less than ideal. Queen is the least busy face for this building. Albert would probably have been best for high visibility from office workers walking north along Lyon, while avoiding the crowds on Lyon. The entrance is also seems flat and identical to the residential entrance (though I may be miss-remembering). Royale in comparison is inset between two stone walls.

I think bus shelters at all three Downtown O-Train stations are of higher quality than the rest, for their high visibility and usage. Happy to see the City invested a bit more for those.
I forgot about the gas meters. My eyes on that side were drawn the the fancy bus shelters.

I don't try to be overly critical in my posts BTW. But all I could see was how askew each block was relative to each other with the sconce lighting casting down on it.

I hadn't noticed it previously... but when I was in front of Royale/Muse the other day I noticed the entire stone facade on Rideau st. was the exact same way. This was also in the daylight but I could clearly see every block being misaligned and casting shadows from the angle of the sunlight.

As a fairly detail oriented contractor stuff like this just stick out to me immediately and its hard to get past it.

Still... Massive upgrade over the stucco podium of CP1/2. I still fantasize about how that building would look with a stone podium and all the upper cornices being in a similar material.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa