HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Today, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Agreed. What's the motivation for keeping the garden gated anyway? To keep out homeless people?

It feels like the city is dying for more active public spaces, particularly in downtown neighborhoods – seems like something we should be able to figure out.
Probably yeah. There were the shutdowns and then the riots and then the homeless/migrant crisis and I'm sure they just see public accessible outdoor space as more hassle and liability than it's worth. Just look what pritzker park turned into. even millennium Park is behind metal detectors now. It's a huge shame.

Old Posted Today, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Probablyyeah. There were the shutdowns and then the riots and then the homeless/migrant crisis and I'm sure they just see public accessible outdoor space as more hassle and liability than it's worth. Just look what pritzker park turned into. even millennium Park is behind metal detectors now. It's a huge shame.

I also feel like this incident from earlier this year probably has an impact on the Art Institute gardens being kept closed (if it’s a recent change- I’ve only started working in the loop recently so I’m not sure):

Quote:
Protesters from SAIC and Columbia College Chicago had set up an encampment in the North Garden of the Art Institute of Chicago, renaming it “Hind’s Garden” in honour of Hind Rajab, a six-year-old Palestinian girl who was killed along with her family by Israeli forces in Gaza.

Old Posted Today, 3:05 AM

I will say I think AIC is one of those institutions that has more money than it probably needs, and as a result is always building these nice little things and then abandoning them, or finding a reason to redo them. Money in search of a problem. Hey it's not my donation, but the whole reason they're in this situation is because they built another ego driven modern wing (not that long ago!) with half of it not even being useable space...oh and with another locked up garden no one has ever been allowed to use either

Old Posted Today, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Probably yeah. There were the shutdowns and then the riots and then the homeless/migrant crisis and I'm sure they just see public accessible outdoor space as more hassle and liability than it's worth. Just look what pritzker park turned into. even millennium Park is behind metal detectors now. It's a huge shame.
I walked by Pritzker Park yesterday and it was completely fenced off with no access. Last time I was down there, in late spring, is was open and a bit out of control.

To get into Millennium Park you have to pass through metal detectors? Just wow and sad. And throw in the massive wide and busy roads bisecting Grant Park and area, this is not an impressive area to me.

Old Posted Today, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
To get into Millennium Park you have to pass through metal detectors?
I didn't have to go through metal detectors when I was there 3 weeks ago. Maybe they are set up for the larger events like Blues Fest and Taste of Chicago?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development