HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 8:39 PM

I'm just surprised in this day and age we haven't found a way to tunnel bore cheaply. We should be able to tunnel bore for like $100M/km

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
As a matter of fact, they have: Phase 2 near Langley cost $345 million total for roughly half the length. That's a 4x increase in the cost/km. Want to guess how much the Chilliwack phase will be if this pattern keeps up?

Stop acting like I'm happy about it; I simply accept it as the apparent cost of getting nice things. You want eye-watering, try how the original cost was $3.12 billion ten years ago. Over in Toronto, the Ontario Line was supposed to be $11B, and now it's $28B, and it'll probably go even higher. Wish they'd send that kind of budget our way once in a while.
Whatever - as long as it gets built before a new mayor scraps it and we're back with the stupid streetcar again, I'll call it a win.
Now I think about it... I think the previous estimate was based on 2021, which was just before inflation shoot up to 8% year over year for a couple of years. So that alone probably just make everything 15-20% more expensive.

Inflation now is still higher than what it was before the pandemic, especially for construction. Since the money is report as as-spent during the course of construction, so it's safe to say that the companies are playing safe and set the expected inflation from 2024-2029 is at least a couple of percentage higher per year than the previous estimate. So combine the two, plus the additional year of construction.. inflation alone probably contributed to at least 30-40% of the cost increase.

If the contract term is similar to Evergreen, then a big chunk of payment will only be made after construction finishes. If that the case, then a big portion of the cost is actually 2029$, which makes the project look even more costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
I'm just surprised in this day and age we haven't found a way to tunnel bore cheaply. We should be able to tunnel bore for like $100M/km
What? $100M/km for rapid transit? Bored tunnel too??

According to Metrolynx in Toronto, you can barely build a bike path for $100M/km nowadays

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cou...786fc0c77.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 1:12 PM

Any updates on this project?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityofglass1879 View Post
Any updates on this project?
Construction updates here:

https://surreylangleyskytrain.gov.bc.ca/current-work/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 4:08 PM

I wonder if we'll have a big "major construction" announcement during the election period.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
I wonder if we'll have a big "major construction" announcement during the election period.
Probably a photo op / press conference next to the test piling work they're starting next week that'll run for a couple weeks.

Actual construction starting will eventually upset a lot of people though, as it does for every major infrastructure project.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:26 AM

Any chance the BC Conservatives shelve this project should they win the election? Part of me hopes that momentum is far enough along that it's too late to pump the brakes but the Surrey LRT was also ready to go before it got cancelled...

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianroam95 View Post
Any chance the BC Conservatives shelve this project should they win the election? Part of me hopes that momentum is far enough along that it's too late to pump the brakes but the Surrey LRT was also ready to go before it got cancelled...
Zero chance at this point, it's actually an election promise from them I believe. Surrey and Langley want that Skytrain badly, and those are the kinds of ridings that the CPBC is aiming to win over.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:38 AM

BC Conservatives vow major new transportation infrastructure, including SkyTrain extension to Newton
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-c...ridge-promises

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Zero chance at this point, it's actually an election promise from them I believe. Surrey and Langley want that Skytrain badly, and those are the kinds of ridings that the CPBC is aiming to win over.
It's also under construction now. Was out there taking a look this week, amazed how much work is happening already.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainer View Post
It's also under construction now. Was out there taking a look this week, amazed how much work is happening already.
Would love to see pics if anyone is able! Very excited about the start of this project but I’m not currently in the lower mainland

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:24 PM

SSP construction started standard is concrete pour for permanent structure, eg track support columns.

Latest construction update says they are working on "test pilings" until Oct 7th.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianroam95 View Post
The BCC has said they want to get the job done. Shelving it would be political suicide, because the SoF has a complex where they always feel ignored by politicians when it comes to schools, infrastructure, etc. Surrey and Langley are like the Quebec of BC if that makes sense.

And yeah, the Newton extension promise would indicate they support SLS too.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:28 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure