HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:46 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post

Cherry was the quintessential low-information, bigoted, loudmouthed rube. How he lasted so long, given his history of xenophobic and other-phobic comments, is a bit puzzling.
Because he represented the stereotype of every small town hockey obsessed Canadian, essentially. The ones for who Tim Hortons is a daily ritual. And the dude must abide with his daily double double, eh.
I swear my grandma would watch just to see what ridiculous suit he'd be wearing. She enjoyed Ron MacLean however.

And he played a killer desk piano
Video Link

Best comment "Ron is like the sober friend who's driving"

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I realize now I misread your post - I apologize. (I should probably avoid late night posting ).

This bothers me because it just smells like another one of those boondoggles we get from politicians sole-sourcing things to companies they like (especially when those companies, like Telesat, seem overly politically connected). Maybe it won't be like this, but it's hard to shake the suspicion that Lightspeed is going to be another PRESTO card or PacifiCat ferry.
I think what your saying, is the government should not back any Canadian company that wants to be a leader in the market. Instead we should step aside and let the US, Japan, and Europe back their companies and we buy from them.

I don't know what the problem is with PRESTO. However that is not from a Canadian company, it an Australian product. Perhaps the Ontario government should have gone to a Canadian company to design and built that out for them instead of going overseas to an established platform.

The PacifiCats were a bad idea. That was also a long time ago.

Old Posted Today, 4:11 AM

The conservatives have lost any sense of reality when it comes to their complaints on media bias.

They are upset because CTV does not call the conservative motion of non-carbon-tax non-confidence motion. They claim CTV is biased. Nonsense.

Video Link

When you actually look at CTV coverage is quite balanced and fair. They conservatives may want this to be about the carbon tax. The Liberals, NDP and block don't see it that way.

Video Link

Old Posted Today, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The conservatives have lost any sense of reality when it comes to their complaints on media bias.

They are upset because CTV does not call the conservative motion of non-carbon-tax non-confidence motion. They claim CTV is biased. Nonsense.

LINK

When you actually look at CTV coverage is quite balanced and fair. They conservatives may want this to be about the carbon tax. The Liberals, NDP and block don't see it that way.
LINK
The CTV is probably the most balanced of our news broadcasts right now, but that's pretty egregious - not only did they mislead by presenting his comment out of context, they actually went through the trouble to edit the audio to change what he said. It appears the CTV agrees with them because they've gone ahead and issued an apology. I would guess someone is losing their job over this.

Your second clip has nothing to do with their complaint. You've totally missed the point.

Old Posted Today, 8:50 AM
video et taceo

Canadian media people are who they are. There is a culture, and working for these outlets is a good gig.

Old Posted Today, 8:59 AM
video et taceo

To put a finer point on it, there are left idea sets that come from adjacent academic and nonprofit circles, and there are liberal idea sets that are more deeply rooted and go back to the idea of the fourth estate and Areopagitica. These things are social and ideological.

There are also class realities. Journalists are not particularly well-compensated, but are tasked with spending time among the powerful and influential. This breeds a sort of ambition. It is possible to see a sort of right-wing sentiment develop in the Canadian press on economic issues or Cold War-style things, but never this current populist tenor. It is prole-ish and has negative intentions toward life-giving institutions for media people and their social circles (which include a lot of university and non-profit people).

Of course, any dominant culture can simply be inverted and draw power from resentment. This is Rebel News, Infowars etc. But there is a cap on how far you can go with this. As big as it might become in times of deep resentment, there are structural barriers that mean Rebel News cannot simply become the new CTV or whatever. It needs CTV or CBC in the way that a Black Mass needs the Church. Inversion is dependence.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada