HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 6:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind

Good to see progress on this site. They seem to be moving quickly.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 11:08 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/chicagos-...al-development

Quote:
The design incorporates the site’s cofferdam, a relic of the Spire. The cofferdam will be filled by August 2024, with vertical construction of the concrete superstructure finished by October 2025. The first phase of 400 Lake Shore is scheduled for delivery in 2027.

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 2:30 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, that's pretty fast for a 765 foot tower. From foundation to topping out, that's an 18-month schedule. Impressive!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 11:05 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Wow, that's pretty fast for a 765 foot tower. From foundation to topping out, that's an 18-month schedule. Impressive!

This phase is 850+ feet. 765 is the second smaller tower.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
This building will be 858' so even more impressive!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 8:08 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oh wow, I thought this was the shorter of the two.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:05 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Oh wow, I thought this was the shorter of the two.
Maybe it still could be.

In before more grounded party poopers chime in.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:40 PM
Chicago

June 25, 2024

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:05 PM

After 16 years, the hole is more interesting than ever. I won't miss it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Maybe it still could be.

In before more grounded party poopers chime in.

In no way trying to be a party pooper, as I too am hopeful for a pleasant surprise height-wise on tower #2.

To that end though, is there any - and I genuinely ask this as a question - actual chance something like that could happen? Given the dearth of new units and high demand for downtown apartments, it seems like the market could bear something at least as tall as the 858' tower; but, in light of the prior opposition to anything taller + the need for a traffic study before the 2nd is even a go at its current planned height (if I am remembering that correctly), seems tough even from a daydream perspective?

Old Posted Today, 2:38 AM

I think there is a nonzero chance but it's pretty small. It's a long way off. If the developer feels they can go taller and make more money, I believe they will try. It will depend on sales and leasing of the first tower, the real estate environment, the economy, interest rates, etc etc.

Anyone not directly involved in the project has no real way of giving realistic probabilities IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguy View Post
In no way trying to be a party pooper, as I too am hopeful for a pleasant surprise height-wise on tower #2.

To that end though, is there any - and I genuinely ask this as a question - actual chance something like that could happen? Given the dearth of new units and high demand for downtown apartments, it seems like the market could bear something at least as tall as the 858' tower; but, in light of the prior opposition to anything taller + the need for a traffic study before the 2nd is even a go at its current planned height (if I am remembering that correctly), seems tough even from a daydream perspective?

Old Posted Today, 3:43 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
I think there is a nonzero chance but it's pretty small. It's a long way off. If the developer feels they can go taller and make more money, I believe they will try. It will depend on sales and leasing of the first tower, the real estate environment, the economy, interest rates, etc etc.

Anyone not directly involved in the project has no real way of giving realistic probabilities IMO.
No way. Going back to City Council to renegotiate the PD adds a ton of risk. If they've got a project that pencils, they control the land, the zoning/financing's in place, etc they're gonna stick with the plan and build.

If you hear of a height boost, it's either because they had some unused rights already in place, or it's because the first project no longer penciled at all and they had to go back to square one with an all-new strategy.

Old Posted Today, 4:36 AM

Is there a chance they sell the south tower property to another buyer who could build taller? Obviously would look funky since it was designed as a pair. Nema 2 site is for sale and maybe we can get a a different design and taller building on both sites.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction