HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 2:10 PM

Hasn't Alstom indicated that the wheel assemblies don't need to be redesigned? If that is the case, then what is the problem? The track interface? Something else? Has the city been told how to fix it? Is a fix covered by the warranty? We know there is a very complex contract covering this project. Does the city consider the go slow orders worthy of being resolved?

Although, a 5 minute slow down end to end appears minor, transit efficiency or improvements are always measured in minutes.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Hasn't Alstom indicated that the wheel assemblies don't need to be redesigned?
They haven't ruled it out... They just aren't confident that the work they had started will actually address the issue.

Quote:
If that is the case, then what is the problem?
Nobody knows for sure yet
Not Alstom, not RTG, not the city, not the NRC, not even the TSB.

It's still a work in progress, hence the lack of any real answers.

Quote:
Does the city consider the go slow orders worthy of being resolved?

Although, a 5 minute slow down end to end appears minor, transit efficiency or improvements are always measured in minutes.
Yes, they do.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 2:58 PM

Sydney L1 with Alstom Citadis:

Video Link

They are not as hellbent on separating trains from the surroundings, stations are not overbuilt monstrosities in the suburbs and, imagine that, they even let people cross the tracks at the stations. Still runs faster and is more reliable than our L1.

If we built this way, it would've probably cost half of what we paid and would've saved years or construction and a fortune on maintenance.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 3:20 PM

I was in Pasadena in February and I used the Blue Line a number of times. Our station was tightly built into the urban fabric. You could walk across the tracks to reach the other side of the station but there were gates. I believe they locked when a train approached. It was not perfect. There was one seven block section with street running where trains ran slowly and stopped for traffic lights. That section should be separated. Otherwise, the trains ran quite fast to reach Union Station downtown. There were some tight turns where trains ran slowly at Union Station.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I was around and it was the early 80s. Edmonton and Calgary got LRT because of Alberta's 1970s oil boom. Vancouver got the SkyTrain because of Expo 86 special funding. The Transitway was more affordable and was very successful.
Construction started in the 80s. But the concept of bus rapid transit was proposed in a mid-60s study. The key political decisions were made in the 1970s: rejecting rail transit and exploring BRT.

The political engineering (selecting the routes, at least at a high level) was done in the late 1970s.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation