HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The former home of John's Lunch at 352 PLEASANT STREET, DARTMOUTH has a development-only permit submitted for 7-floors and 34 units.
The new building better be called The Cod.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The new building better be called The Cod.
Wouldn't "The Grease" be more appropo?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Having eaten at John's innumerable times over the decades I can say categorically that the food was not greasy; in fact, that was one of the things that made the place so appealing.

However, I'm equally certain that I was never served cod there (too bad; I love the stuff). Probably more appropriate to call the new building The Haddock.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Major new building permit just got issued;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 5543 BILBY ST, HALIFAX - $9'331'109 - Commercial - Retail Use - 10 Floors - Commercial Hotel
A demolition permit has been submitted for 5543 BILBY STREET. HALIFAX (Butler Scaffolding). The lot is midblock and goes through to Macara Street.

I rechecked my sources and it looks like the permit was issued for apartments with ground-floor retail.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
My god, 16 years ago and they are just excavating and putting up a crane?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
My god, 16 years ago and they are just excavating and putting up a crane?
Goof thing HRM Planning put a "rush" on the planning process.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 12:36 AM
I_Like_Cranes

Quote:
"Mummy! There's a spot on my ascot!!!!!"

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 1:43 PM
Cap the Cut!

This building on Hollis St. is coming down and Elvis was on the waterfront yesterday.

20240830_144014_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20240830_151134 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 12:48 PM
Cap the Cut!

Fortunately Halifax Fire responded quickly to this squatter fire in Burnside two days ago.

20240902_141303_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20240902_141055_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20240902_141148 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20240902_141135_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20240902_141156_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20240902_141109_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how long it will take to get this mess cleaned up?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 6:37 PM

Thankfully those propane tanks didn't blow!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 2:04 AM

Looks like there is a 9-storey residential building approved for 3291 WESTERWALD STREET, HALIFAX on the old section of Dutch Village Road at Highway 102.

Case VAR-2024-00531: Appeal of Variance Approval – 3291 Westerwald Street, Halifax

1950 Map of Halifax Showing the old alignment of DVR before Joesph Howe Drive and Highway 102

I don't put much stock into the appeal letter from neighbours in cases like this. Here the proposed building will act like a sound barrier for the house from the noise pollution of Highway 102's elevated section. The tradeoff of a few units having balconies overlooking their yard would be worth it IMO.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Sep 9, 2024 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 1:15 PM

The irony is that the requested variance would move the proposed building farther away from the single unit dwelling and closer to the highway on-ramp.

Though to be fair to the appellant, I don't think that fact would be immediately evident just from reading the variance notification that they were mailed.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 10:37 PM

25 CRYSTAL DRIVE, DARTMOUTH - 50 UNITS - 5 FLOORS. Foundation work has started.

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

OZANAM PLACE (2445 BRUNSWICK STREET, HALIFAX) - 38 UNITS - 4 FLOORS

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 2:09 PM

The proposed development at Main & Titus (kitty corner from the KFC) looks like it's begun some land prep work. Lots of digging going on. I assume the prior proposal was approved if they've started work.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 10:50 PM

Construction Management Plan - 397 Windmill Road, Dartmouth (rendering included).

A numbered company is building a 10 STOREY, 60 UNIT RESIDENTIAL BUILDING in the hole next to the natural gas facility near Nootka Avenue (Shannon Park).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 11:05 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Construction Management Plan - 397 Windmill Road, Dartmouth (rendering included).

A numbered company is building a 10 STOREY, 60 UNIT RESIDENTIAL BUILDING in the hole next to the natural gas facility near Nootka Avenue (Shannon Park).
I actually thought this cookiecutter design would have stopped by now.

Last edited by Empire; Sep 18, 2024 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 10:59 PM

New Heritage Development Agreement proposal for 5492 INGLIS STREET, HALIFAX. They are seeking to restore the heritage building, demolish the addition along South Bland Street, and build a 6-storey, 30-unit residential building.

Halifax Planning - Case 2024-01230 - 5492 Inglis Street, Halifax

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 12:36 AM

Quote:
New Heritage Development Agreement proposal for 5492 INGLIS STREET, HALIFAX. They are seeking to restore the heritage building, demolish the addition along South Bland Street, and build a 6-storey, 30-unit residential building.

Halifax Planning - Case 2024-01230 - 5492 Inglis Street, Halifax
I like it.

An interesting thought is that the addition was built in 1943, in the middle of a period when Halifax experienced unprecedented population growth due to wartime activity. The addition probably has some historical significance in itself, but I agree that removing it will not diminish the architectural value of the house in the least.

It’s nice to see that Halifax appears to be starting to value some of its heritage buildings. I hope we can see more developments like this in the future.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I like it.

An interesting thought is that the addition was built in 1943, in the middle of a period when Halifax experienced unprecedented population growth due to wartime activity. The addition probably has some historical significance in itself, but I agree that removing it will not diminish the architectural value of the house in the least.

It’s nice to see that Halifax appears to be starting to value some of its heritage buildings. I hope we can see more developments like this in the future.
I lived not far away from there back in the '80s and often walked past this address. It is like a number of other properties in that immediate area. The original structure was an impressive (or at least was impressive at one time) piece of historical architecture. I remember thinking to myself what the interior finishes must have looked like, imagining walnut paneling, impressive staircases with lots of carving, the whole deal. I wondered how much of it remained given that even then these were obvious rentals, probably to students. Then you would see the box tacked onto the back which was just awful even in those times with no architectural merit at all and just shake your head. I don't remember this from back then but it looks very much like the parking lot behind the box was probably the site of another old Victorian at some point since there aren't many empty lots on South Bland.

The outcome may be better than some since at least the impressive building will be "restored" (hopefully well) and perhaps there's a chance the new addition will look OK. Maybe the parking lot will get put to a better use as well - it's hard to tell from the plans. Unfortunately they are proposing small commercial spaces for the front street-level units in the main old building which seems strange and could seriously detract from the look. Most all of the other units proposed are tiny apartments of around 300 sq ft. I know we need housing but those sound awful.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately they are proposing small commercial spaces for the front street-level units in the main old building which seems strange and could seriously detract from the look. Most all of the other units proposed are tiny apartments of around 300 sq ft. I know we need housing but those sound awful.
The application mentions that the unit mix was arrived at when considering the universities nearby. It makes sense, really: the universities have inadequate student housing, so at least someone is delivering it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth