HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Hahahaha
And as if Google Streetview was some sort of live version of what the street is now. Go downtown and go for a walk buddy.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Alloy looks great at street level! Thanks for the pics, HusBy.
More than happy to share the pics. Has been cool to watch Alloy go up next door to my office.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusBy View Post
More than happy to share the pics. Has been cool to watch Alloy go up next door to my office.
Office???(that’s cool). I’m typically only in the Arts District at night. And pretty much either at SoHo, Bestia, and Death and Co for drinks. In your honest opinion…what’s the energy and vibe like over there in the Arts District in the daytime?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Office???(that’s cool). I’m typically only in the Arts District at night. And pretty much either at SoHo, Bestia, and Death and Co for drinks. In your honest opinion…what’s the energy and vibe like over there in the Arts District in the daytime?
Ooh nice, what's it like still having a social life? haha

I've been down here since about 2017 I think, I drive in from the Westside. It's changed a ton of course, used to be super sleepy and a little creepy at times. Now it feels like a neighborhood.

Now, the energy during the daytime is great. Generally feels super clean and busy enough. Not sleepy, not too busy either. It's nice. All the coffee shops are decently busy, Verve often packed, people getting lunch at the lunch spots. Very little homeless. Street parking is always full, though Alloy construction and street reconstruction projects impact this a lot... will be interested to see what it's like when those are done. Once the daytime work people leave, people start circling for parking for the nighttime restaurants and walking around dressed up. I'm mostly around the Zinc area but when I walk over to 7th & Santa Fe or Traction & 3rd areas it seems the same.

Last edited by HusBy; Oct 4, 2024 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 11:55 PM

That’s awesome!!! Alloy is going to be great for the area.

Old Posted Today, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
South of Flower? Dude you don't even live in LA with that comment. Flower is a North/South Street.
Ehh downtown is at about a 45 degree angle, so technically flower is pointed NE/SW. In my opinion I consider the arts district and skid row south of downtown since it's lower but honestly its completely up for debate.

Old Posted Today, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusBy View Post
And as if Google Streetview was some sort of live version of what the street is now. Go downtown and go for a walk buddy.
Most of Google streetview is up to date within the last 8 months. It's not a completely accurate representation, but downtown is nearly identical to what's shown online, and my point is still proven.

Old Posted Today, 12:48 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbeaver25 View Post
Ehh downtown is at about a 45 degree angle, so technically flower is pointed NE/SW. In my opinion I consider the arts district and skid row south of downtown since it's lower but honestly its completely up for debate.
?

Skid Row/Arts District is in the eastern portion of downtown.

Old Posted Today, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
?

Skid Row/Arts District is in the eastern portion of downtown.
I understand what you are saying, but if you look at the city from a satellite view (with my amazing MS paint graphics) you can see that the Arts District is in the southeast corner of downtown and Skid Row is closer towards the middle so it can be inferred as south. Everyone I know says Westlake is North of downtown, Skid Row is South, and USC is West. Since the grid is angled 45 degrees it's easy to round the directions. Regardless, I don't want to argue over technicalities since everyone still understands what I'm trying to say.

Old Posted Today, 1:49 AM

As others have mentioned…you are not from nor have lived in LA.

Old Posted Today, 2:09 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what south of flower means and nobody else would either.

You cant just decide what the geography of LA is because you want to. Its not opinion based lmao.

Old Posted Today, 2:10 AM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but if you look at the city from a satellite view (with my amazing MS paint graphics) you can see that the Arts District is in the southeast corner of downtown and Skid Row is closer towards the middle so it can be inferred as south. Everyone I know says Westlake is North of downtown, Skid Row is South, and USC is West. Since the grid is angled 45 degrees it's easy to round the directions. Regardless, I don't want to argue over technicalities since everyone still understands what I'm trying to say.

are you trolling?

Old Posted Today, 2:23 AM

Quote:
As others have mentioned…you are not from nor have lived in LA.
I've already explained the misconception, and the fact that you are claiming I don't live in LA because I said there's a south side of a SW/NE facing street seems extremely ridiculous and judgmental.

The fact is, most of downtown LA is ghetto and my friends/family don't like visiting the area due to the overall sketchiness. I think the city has grown tremendously within the last decade and a half, but I'm not going to live in a fantasy that downtown is some utopia. A few years ago, my mom almost got stabbed by a homeless man on Hope street, and I've been in a lot of close calls myself. I don't want to keep arguing over something so pointless, especially since this thread is about city construction not debating over the exact directions of the roads.

Old Posted Today, 3:41 AM

Quote:
I've already explained the misconception, and the fact that you are claiming I don't live in LA because I said there's a south side of a SW/NE facing street seems extremely ridiculous and judgmental.

The fact is, most of downtown LA is ghetto and my friends/family don't like visiting the area due to the overall sketchiness. I think the city has grown tremendously within the last decade and a half, but I'm not going to live in a fantasy that downtown is some utopia. A few years ago, my mom almost got stabbed by a homeless man on Hope street, and I've been in a lot of close calls myself. I don't want to keep arguing over something so pointless, especially since this thread is about city construction not debating over the exact directions of the roads.
No, youre being called out because you said something like WESTLAKE is north of downtown. WEST. LAKE. Its called Westlake because its...west of downtown. You not knowing this would set of red flags to people. Like if I said the south loop in chicago is actuaally east of downtown Chicago, i wouldnt be taken serious.

Old Posted Today, 4:05 AM

Quote:
According to the Los Angeles Times, "Downtown Los Angeles is cocked about 36 degrees from the north-south grid." Not 45 degrees.

I'm with everyone else in this thread: Flower is a north-south street, and the Arts District is east of downtown. As a supposed local, have you never encountered this widespread perception of the downtown grid?

Quote:
The fact is, most of downtown LA is ghetto
That is not a fact, it's an opinion--an extreme opinion, and one that you cannot factually support.

Old Posted Today, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
No, youre being called out because you said something like WESTLAKE is north of downtown. WEST. LAKE. Its called Westlake because its...west of downtown. You not knowing this would set of red flags to people. Like if I said the south loop in chicago is actuaally east of downtown Chicago, i wouldnt be taken serious.
Yeah that's completely fair, especially since officially that's where those areas line up, so I apologize for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
As a supposed local, have you never encountered this widespread perception of the downtown grid?
I live about 30 minutes away from downtown and I don't find myself in conversations regarding the exact directions of downtown

Once again, I was just trying to say that downtown LA east of Flower Street gets progressively more ghetto and contains a decent amount of vacancies. At the end of the day, I think Radio5's analogy is the best for this situation. There's multiple factors dragging on the success of DTLA, but the city will get better over time regardless. The only thing that can be changed is the rate at which growth will happen.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations