HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:29 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The perfect city doesn't exi-
Yessir

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Paris-Chongqing. Plonk it where Rio is.

Many thanks in advance.
Rio could be my perfect city with more rail transit, less poverty/inequality, and an effort to clean up those illegal dumping sites on its inland waterways.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm in Seattle right now and it's ticking all the right boxes.
Seattle has the best climate and natural scenery in the U.S., IMO. Also great economy and not horribly expensive.

But demerits for isolated location, cold people and blah urban form/housing stock.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Seattle has the best climate and natural scenery in the U.S., IMO. Also great economy and not horribly expensive.

But demerits for isolated location, cold people and blah urban form/housing stock.
"Not horribly expensive"? I'm not sure what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing to NYC of SF, no but Chicago and many other US cities, yes.

There is no "perfect" city as the definition of "perfect" varies for each person. There are ratings for livable cities however, with European cities usually dominating the charts, along with Canadian and Australian cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...bility_Ranking

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Vancouver's scenery with Montreal's culture and (former) rock-bottom prices.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:50 PM
Great White Norf

Montréal is still an ideal Canadian (and North American) city to be, warts and all

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
"Not horribly expensive"? I'm not sure what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing to NYC of SF, no but Chicago and many other US cities, yes.
Seattle's economy & culture is most similar to Bay Area, so to me, it has fairly reasonable home prices. You aren't paying $2 million+ for a crapshack like in parts of Silicon Valley, yet the economic opportunities, scenery and cultural vibe isn't wildly dissimilar.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:49 PM

Seattle is consistently cloudy and rainy for like 7 months out of the year. People bemoan the grey winters of the Rust Belt, but somehow the PNW gets labeled as the best climate in the US?

To me, the best city in the US would be: Chicago's core + DC's neighborhoods + San Francisco's setting + New Orleans' vibe.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Seattle is consistently cloudy and rainy for like 7 months out of the year.
That's my dream climate. I love moderate temps and lush surroundings. To me, England, Northern France, Benelux and West Germany have an ideal climate.

And I have no problem with grey days. Much better than endless sun, requiring year-round sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, etc. To me, Phoenix is the most unlivable climate in the U.S.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:48 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Seattle's economy & culture is most similar to Bay Area, so to me, it has fairly reasonable home prices. You aren't paying $2 million+ for a crapshack like in parts of Silicon Valley, yet the economic opportunities, scenery and cultural vibe isn't wildly dissimilar.
This is true. Seattle is very expensive but you get more for your money than the Bay Area and to the Bay Area, Seattle is "affordable" which seems crazy for 95% of the rest of the country. I could easily leave here.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:18 PM

I've never visited but I'm very intrigued by the setting, climate and architecture of Trieste, Italy, which was the former main port of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Since it's in Italy, I'm guessing the food and wine is also amazing, while the home prices are probably low.

I'm not sure what kind of career one can have in Trieste, though.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:19 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I've never visited but I'm very intrigued by the setting, climate and architecture of Trieste, Italy, which was the former main port of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Since it's in Italy, I'm guessing the food and wine is also amazing, while the home prices are probably low.

I'm not sure what kind of career one can have in Trieste, though.
I've heard it's quite nice from people who worked at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...vanced_Studies

They're also perhaps notable for hosting a lot of scientific journals, at least in physics...

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:42 PM

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:48 PM

Quote:
That's my dream climate. I love moderate temps and lush surroundings. To me, England, Northern France, Benelux and West Germany have an ideal climate.

And I have no problem with grey days. Much better than endless sun, requiring year-round sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, etc. To me, Phoenix is the most unlivable climate in the U.S.
Yet there's just as many people living there than in Seattle. Thank God it never gets dark and we never see a cloud in AZ.

Old Posted Today, 1:35 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

The "Bay Area" was my perfect city over the years - worked there temporarily, had multiple job/ transfer offers there with different companies I worked for - just couldn't make the numbers work after living in the midwest my entire life and having young kids as an environmental professional (ironically) but not a tech guy.

Old Posted Today, 4:35 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Seattle is consistently cloudy and rainy for like 7 months out of the year. People bemoan the grey winters of the Rust Belt, but somehow the PNW gets labeled as the best climate in the US?

7 months of cloud and rain is a bit dramatic.

Count me in as another one who generally prefers the PNW climate (technically Mediterranean, bordering on Oceanic) to mostly anywhere else in North America. Maybe a bit further south, like coastal Oregon & Northern California are probably closer to ideal though. The Northeast & Great Lakes meanwhile are a close second for me.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions