View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 11:25 AM
somewhere in-between

I saw this picture on Instagram. This is by no means new development, but when compared against newer construction in and around Royal Oak Beaumont's sprawling campus, I find this historic photo from 1955 absolutely incredible. For example, look at the farm house in the left-center of the pic!

Source: Instagram | @detroit.history

This is approximately the same view from Google Maps today. 13 Mile Rd. runs near the bottom of the view in both shots (you are looking north / northwest) -

Source: Google Maps

What an amazing land acquisition to build this place where it is today. It must have all been farm land, somehow spared from the post-war suburban boom. I have a lot of memories here. My mom is a nurse and it has been her home base for a 40-year career. This photo is from 1 year before she was born. I was born here (don't remember that!) as were my siblings. I remember ER visits, my younger sisters birth, etc. When you think about all of the lives that touch a place like this, it is mind-boggling. Now, it acts as one of the metro area's centers for distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine distribution, not to mention treatment for the largest number of COVID-19 patients of any place in Michigan (mom just got her first vaccine dose last week).