View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
My old firm responded to an RFP about that back in 2018(?), about converting Mitchell into a dedicated cancer hospital, but iirc, there were many building system issues that would have made an easy conversion somewhat cost-prohibitive..? I think there were other issues, I just can't remember right now what they were, I'm sure other forumers might have better memories.

I mentioned this sometime last year but perhaps bears repeating: one thing to keep in mind is that the University and UCM are collaborating for a long-term capital planning initiative to create a 'West Campus', near the 55th St Green line stop. Mostly because the main campus is already fairly packed (north of the Midway), but also because they are trying hard(er) to be better engaged in the immediate South side community, work with residents, community organizations, etc., to act as a catalyst for better development in that area, and not as an island anymore. One of the first projects that is currently under construction/renovation is a fossil research lab, with a community outreach program, and it should be wrapping up construction this year. I do not know if the University currently has a comprehensive, overall master plan for these new sites, but they've quietly been purchasing lots in and around that 2-3 block radius near the station for a few years, so SOMETHING is definitely brewing..
What would the west campus consists of? New academic buildings with a quad and a dorm? Some administrative buildings?