View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 5:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
There is no doubt that we would never configure the El and Trolleys if we were designing it today. That being, said, truncating the service to 30th isn’t a solution that has no downsides. There is a quite a bit of traffic from the Broad Street line connecting to the trolleys. That would require those riders to transfer to the El and then to the trolleys at 30th street. I’m not saying that is the end of the world but neither is transferring to the trolley to get to 20th street.
A valid point, but let me say this again: it's about the capacity of the lines you're transferring to and from. west market is the central business district, which requires high capacity service. that means the MFL. that would have to take priority over the lower capacity requirements of travel to west and southwest philly from the BSL.
It makes much less sense for the CBD to have only low capacity trolleys when there's a perfectly good high capacity MFL that could be used. it's not perfect to make someone transfer twice, but neither is it perfect to only have low capacity service in a part of town that requires high capacity. again, if you could have both, that would be ideal, but I don't think we can. if someone can come up with a way to do it, I'd be all for it.