View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 6:16 PM
somewhere in-between

Happy Labor Day! in celebration of all of the construction, engineering, and architect-ing labor that this area has witnessed recently, here's a big photo update of things happening across Kalamazoo and Portage (taken over the past 2 days).

The Exchange - mostly done, still wrapping up.

New Anchor Tenant Chemical Bank Branch is open on the first floor.

(well, it's closed today...)

We're ready and waiting for the next 15+ story tower to be announced...(yeah right)

Church of Christ, Scientist building is gone, thanks to the premier proponent of Art in the region (Kalamazoo Institute of Arts).

Many locals are not pleased.

Meanwhile, the Park Club looks great. It recently shed most of its scaffolding, from multiple restoration projects.

400 Rose

I don't hate the materials on this one.

The Austin Sill House, which is one of the oldest standing homes in the city. It is supposedly being restored, but no activity in a long while (like, years long).

Lots of activity at the Bronson Labs project though. I like the more classic facade.

It is a sleek compliment to the adjacent Art Deco, Albert Kahn-designed Gazette building.

Though not development related, this deserves a mention. The Norm Carver Gallery closed recently, after its namesake passed away. Norm was an amazing local architect, artist, photographer, and world traveler. The gallery was were he showcased and sold his photographs from extensive travels all over the world. Read about him here.

We will see what takes its place, but Norm will not be forgotten anytime soon.

MOMA (Market On Michigan Ave) had its soft opening Thursday. It was open on Sunday so I stopped in. The owners are really excited to be part of the growing activity downtown. I think that this micro grocery / deli will fare well. The food offerings seemed high quality and reasonably priced. The deli side is where Biggby Coffee used to be, and they took over the adjacent, vacant storefront as well, which is where the main grocery is.

New Honor Credit Union branch going in on the first floor, with remodeled apartment space above.

180 E Water St. is making slower visible progress lately.

This thing is going to have some interesting vantage points. Like from the Kalamazoo Valley Museum, and along Arcadia Creek...

...waaaay down at that small opening at the end...

And a neat angle when traveling east along Water Street.

Nearby, TowerPinster, which is the largest local A&E firm (and responsible for the previous project), is growing and expanding from its second floor office into the first floor (a space long-vacated by a failed Sushi restaurant).

The dual Hilton Hotel Projects are both in-progress. I am glad to see that they are happening in tandem. Hilton Garden Inn will be the remodeled Masonic Temple. Home2Suites will be a new 8 story build, behind / connected to it. Foundations for that have begun, while demo continues in the historic building.

Unfortunately you cannot really see too much through the windows along the public right of ways.

The new 5-story Bronson Cancer Pavilion is still at foundations level, hopefully will start to go vertical soon.

This kinda looks like it will be a new access drive connecting Burdick to John, maybe related to the Cancer Pavilion access.

I almost forgot about the Kalamazoo College Natatorium. It's still mostly just a hole in the ground at this point.

Drive & Shine, along West Main. I originally wasn't paying much attention to it, but for a car wash, this thing is getting huge. Upon closer investigation of other such facilities by this company (based in and around South Bend, Indiana), this place will offer quick lube service, as well as full interior and exterior detailing services.

Spectrum is moving into the mobile cellular market and starting to fit-out retail spaces. This one is near Trader Joes, at The Corner@Drake development.

WMU's Arcadia Flats - now we can see the full scale of it.

New duplex units on the northside. There are three other finished buildings.

The Creamery has begun to "go vertical."

MI Department of Health & Human Services...

...it's whatever.

Not that anyone cares, but the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites is open (at Westgate).

And the still-to-be-completed, regular-ol' Holiday Inn is going up right across the parking lot.

And if you were worried, AVB has much more land still to give, for even more Holiday Inns (but no more TGIF - all that remains is the highway sign).

Moving on to the significant things in Portage. It's been a long while since I checked out the new Stryker HQ. Amazingly, the access roads were mostly unblocked and unguarded today - so I got some quick photos.

Portage Central Middle School. It echos Portage Northern's new MS, with different materials.

Portage Central's sleek, new McCamley Field

A quick drive-by of the new pavilion at Celery Flats. Appears to be getting lots of use. The outdoor seating in front is a nice touch.

Last edited by deja vu; Sep 3, 2019 at 3:01 AM.