SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

casper May 3, 2022 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9615272)
I suspect they are early-to-mid morning after most of the eastern early flights and regional stuff comes in, then to Europe/western Canada in the early evening.

There is also a much smaller bank in the late evening for departures to South America. They may include the odd flight to Europe in that bank.

hollywoodcory May 3, 2022 8:01 PM

Edelweiss appears to have added a triangle routing in June operating the following:

WK18 ZRH 14:05 - 16:05 YYC 17:25 - 17:55 YVR 19:25 - 14:30+1 ZRH 7

Interesting on the same day, the non-stop roundtrips to both YYC/YVR remained loaded and bookable. Well the triangle routing is currently not bookable.

thenoflyzone May 5, 2022 7:40 PM

Copy of my post from a few weeks ago. What's bolded is new info. March was the first month since the start of the pandemic that YUL handled more passengers than YYC. Catching up to YVR's numbers as well.

Quote:

YUL posted Jan, Feb and march numbers. (Increases are based on the same month last year.)

Jan 606,677 +182%
Feb 621,708 +460%
March 1,011,417 +822.7%

https://www.admtl.com/sites/default/...et_2022_EN.pdf

YYC has Jan, Feb and March posted.

Jan 653,700 +155%
Feb 698,846 +264%
March 950,174 +327%

https://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/fact...tatistics.aspx

YVR has Jan, Feb and march numbers up.

Jan 776,045 +208%
Feb 809,708
March 1,205,731 +496.5%

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/docum...fic-update.pdf

YUL seems to be gaining ground on YYC. Wonder if they'll retake 3rd spot this year. March/April numbers should start telling the story.

Reminder of 2021 numbers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...in_Canada#2021

TorontoDrew May 5, 2022 8:03 PM

This has been stuck at Pearson since the beginning of the illegal Russian Invasion of Ukraine. And since they destroyed the Ukrainian Antonov 225 I don't think Putin should get his plane back. Not until he replaces the Mriya.


Putin's Antonov is waaaaay smaller then the Ukrainian owned one. Maybe he was embarrassed by the comparison of the 2.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...be29c9c8_h.jpgAntonov An-124 II by Jack Landau, on Flickr

thenoflyzone May 6, 2022 2:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 9615135)
What time are the big AC departure banks from YYZ?

8-10 am. After that, the largest departure bank is betweem 4 and 6 pm.

cranes May 6, 2022 6:44 PM

https://media.flyflair.com/flair-air...o-to-montreal/

FLAIR AIRLINES TO LAUNCH SERVICE FROM KITCHENER-WATERLOO TO MONTREAL

Edmonton, Alberta, May 4, 2022 – Flair Airlines, Canada’s everyday low fare airline, continues its growth in Kitchener-Waterloo with the announcement of service to Montreal-Trudeau International Airport. The non-stop route will connect Kitchener-Waterloo to Montreal twice weekly. Flair has recently announced a base expansion at Region of Waterloo International Airport, and today’s announcement is part of the expansion.

Beginning on July 7, passengers can travel twice weekly between the two cities.

“Kitchener-Waterloo continues to be an important market for Flair, and we look forward to starting service to Montreal from the airport,” said Garth Lund, Chief Commercial Officer, Flair Airlines. “We know the importance of accessible and affordable travel and with fares starting at $29, we’re excited to offer even more choice to residents of Kitchener-Waterloo.”

Calfan12 May 7, 2022 10:58 AM

Eurowings has cut Calgary YYC - Frankfurt FRA of upto 4x weekly seasonal flights for Summer 2022 before it even started end of May.
With them cutting it will help WestJet, Air Canada & KLM etc have more demand on their Europe nonstops to or from YYC in the summer.

While currently Eurowings Halifax YHZ- Frankfurt FRA seasonal flights is showing scheduled to operate from June 13- September 9, few times weekly on Airbus A330.

thenoflyzone May 7, 2022 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfan12 (Post 9619234)
Eurowings has cut Calgary YYC - Frankfurt FRA of upto 4x weekly seasonal flights for Summer 2022 before it even started end of May.
With them cutting it will help WestJet, Air Canada & KLM etc have more demand on their Europe nonstops to or from YYC in the summer.

While currently Eurowings Halifax YHZ- Frankfurt FRA seasonal flights is showing scheduled to operate from June 13- September 9, few times weekly on Airbus A330.

Cut isn't the right word.

They delayed the start from May 23 to August 1. Flights are loaded until October 15.

thenoflyzone May 8, 2022 2:17 PM

^Seems "cut" was the appropriate word after all. Even though flights were bookable yesterday from August 1 to October 15, their booking engine seems down right now - probably for an update -, plus they've advised YYC they wont be coming this summer.

Denscity May 8, 2022 4:15 PM

So just one foreign carrier to Europe from Calgary? That's like Edmonton.

zahav May 9, 2022 6:16 AM

I'm not sure about other cities, but Air Canada has a huge radio campaign in Vancouver (I've hear the ad so many times), all about Europe (ie. promoting European destinations). I assume it is the same ad they would be using on radio in other cities, specifcally eastern ones. It's hilrious being here in Vancouver, because none of the destinations they mention in the ad are served from YVR lol, they (Athens, Paris, Nice, Barecelone, Rome, Vienna). But obviously they are really pushing connections in YYZ and YUL. The only 4 European destinations that AC serves from YVR (DUB, LHR, FRA, and ZRH) were not in the ad. It's like they did it on purpose lol jk.

They are really pushing Europe hard right now. It obviously is a pillar of strength while other markets are still quite depressed.

Denscity May 9, 2022 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9620158)
I'm not sure about other cities, but Air Canada has a huge radio campaign in Vancouver (I've hear the ad so many times), all about Europe (ie. promoting European destinations). I assume it is the same ad they would be using on radio in other cities, specifcally eastern ones. It's hilrious being here in Vancouver, because none of the destinations they mention in the ad are served from YVR lol, they (Athens, Paris, Nice, Barecelone, Rome, Vienna). But obviously they are really pushing connections in YYZ and YUL. The only 4 European destinations that AC serves from YVR (DUB, LHR, FRA, and ZRH) were not in the ad. It's like they did it on purpose lol jk.

They are really pushing Europe hard right now. It obviously is a pillar of strength while other markets are still quite depressed.

Hard to believe they need that much help from Eastern Canada to Europe to be pushing their ads all the way to Vancouver.

casper May 9, 2022 8:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9620158)
I'm not sure about other cities, but Air Canada has a huge radio campaign in Vancouver (I've hear the ad so many times), all about Europe (ie. promoting European destinations). I assume it is the same ad they would be using on radio in other cities, specifcally eastern ones. It's hilrious being here in Vancouver, because none of the destinations they mention in the ad are served from YVR lol, they (Athens, Paris, Nice, Barecelone, Rome, Vienna). But obviously they are really pushing connections in YYZ and YUL. The only 4 European destinations that AC serves from YVR (DUB, LHR, FRA, and ZRH) were not in the ad. It's like they did it on purpose lol jk.

They are really pushing Europe hard right now. It obviously is a pillar of strength while other markets are still quite depressed.

Given Lufthansa and Swiss are in a joint venture with Air Canada for European travel, I don't think AC care if you connect in Toronto, Montreal or Frankfurt or Zurich.

Dominion301 May 9, 2022 6:26 PM

Lynx are taking a page out of Swoop & Flair's playbooks and having select same-plane, one-stop services, including:

YEG-YHZ
YEG-YYT
YYC-YYT

Currently all one-stops stop at YYZ.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...845604713.html

"YYT major expansion" is quite the exaggeration as the frequency's the same, but the number of destinations accessible on the same ticket triples.

hehehe May 9, 2022 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9620507)
Lynx are taking a page out of Swoop & Flair's playbooks and having select same-plane, one-stop services, including:

YEG-YHZ
YEG-YYT
YYC-YYT

Currently all one-stops stop at YYZ.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...845604713.html

"YYT major expansion" is quite the exaggeration as the frequency's the same, but the number of destinations accessible on the same ticket triples.

That title made me laugh. This is a good idea on their end but why be so dramatic about it?

thenoflyzone May 9, 2022 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9620158)
I'm not sure about other cities, but Air Canada has a huge radio campaign in Vancouver (I've hear the ad so many times), all about Europe (ie. promoting European destinations). I assume it is the same ad they would be using on radio in other cities, specifcally eastern ones. It's hilrious being here in Vancouver, because none of the destinations they mention in the ad are served from YVR lol, they (Athens, Paris, Nice, Barecelone, Rome, Vienna). But obviously they are really pushing connections in YYZ and YUL. The only 4 European destinations that AC serves from YVR (DUB, LHR, FRA, and ZRH) were not in the ad. It's like they did it on purpose lol jk.

They are really pushing Europe hard right now. It obviously is a pillar of strength while other markets are still quite depressed.

I heard it as well here in Montreal. It's probably one ad playing nationwide, so it's not specific to Vancouver or any other city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9620614)
That title made me laugh. This is a good idea on their end but why be so dramatic about it?

because dramatic is what sells.

Calfan12 May 10, 2022 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9620507)
Lynx are taking a page out of Swoop & Flair's playbooks and having select same-plane, one-stop services, including:

YEG-YHZ
YEG-YYT
YYC-YYT

Currently all one-stops stop at YYZ.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...845604713.html

"YYT major expansion" is quite the exaggeration as the frequency's the same, but the number of destinations accessible on the same ticket triples.

Yes & also Lynx is also adding Calgary YYC - Halifax YHZ 5x weekly service from July 14 2022,which brings its total of 8 Canada destinations it operates to from YYC.

MonctonRad May 10, 2022 12:51 PM

Reposted from the Atlantic Canada Airport Thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9620874)
Swoop had their inaugural flight out of YQM yesterday.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/resized.ima...swoopplane.jpg

This image from the T&T shows the aircraft arriving from Hamilton (with 169 passengers on board) receiving a salute from airport fire/rescue vehicles. The return trip to Hamilton later that day was also a near sell-out with 150 passengers on board.

The Moncton/Edmonton service via Swoop will commence on June 17th.


Dominion301 May 10, 2022 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfan12 (Post 9621001)
Yes & also Lynx is also adding Calgary YYC - Halifax YHZ 5x weekly service from July 14 2022,which brings its total of 8 Canada destinations it operates to from YYC.

Ah yes I missed that one. Also a 1-stop.

EDIT: LOL and now this warrants it's own YHZ 'major expansion' press release: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...823609251.html

I have zero issues with issuing a PR for a 'destinations offered expansion', but calling something 'major' with ZERO new flight frequencies can hardly be seen as 'major'.

Dominion301 May 12, 2022 4:35 PM

YYZ handled 5.2 million pax in Q1 of 2022, which is +384.5% vs the same period last year.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...862943727.html

Also yesterday marked the inaugural 4N flight to YYZ routing YXY-YZF-YYZ.
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...882562147.html

4N resumed YXY-YZF-YOW a couple of weeks prior.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.