SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Djeffery May 25, 2022 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamincan (Post 9632821)
It's no more anticompetitive than McDonald's only serving Coke.

McDonalds is a business, the airport is a government owned public service. It would be more like McDonalds telling Waterloo they will only open a restaurant in the city if the city denies any other fast food restaurant there.

kwoldtimer May 25, 2022 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9632888)
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/faq-air-licensing

Point 1.



As to what consitutes an air service:

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/notice-ind...es-air-service



An airport authority refusing that right based on exclusivity is very much contestable, as they are quashing an airlines' right to provide an air service, a right which is granted to them based on their domestic license.

I think it’s safe to assume that YKF did their legal due diligence before deciding to offer exclusivity agreements.

Dominion301 May 25, 2022 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9632888)
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/faq-air-licensing

Point 1.



As to what consitutes an air service:

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/notice-ind...es-air-service



An airport authority refusing that right based on exclusivity is very much contestable, as they are quashing an airlines' right to provide an air service, a right which is granted to them based on their domestic license.

The thing is though all airlines need to negotiate agreements to operate out of each airport. So they can limit as to who comes in. Now having said that, what's stopping an existing carrier from launching a competing route (pretty much WS as WG will never fly domestic out of YKF), I'm not sure? I guess it would take a court challenge to find out the legalities of the exclusivity agreements. I can see why they want them to bring the airport stability so that WS can't have their flanker brand "Swoop" in, drive Flair out and then 3 months later see the predatory Swoop pack up and leave town and leaving the city with a deserted expansion...like so many other airports (mostly in the USA) have seen. I think they've seen YHM's decades of rollercoaster, not to mention their own lack of prior success. Letting F8 pull at PD at YKF also helps with F8's longer-term viability to have an airport mostly to themselves.

With YKF allowing Flair to launch YUL-YKF to the chagrin of Pivot (aka the ex-Air Georgian), I'm sure they're not going to wait around forever to let Pivot get off the ground to exclusively operate YKF-YOW. I imagine if Flair steps in and says 'we'll take it', Pivot will be given an ultimatum to 'launch or get tossed'.

Dominion301 May 25, 2022 2:13 AM

April 2022's pax numbers were YOW's best since the start of the pandemic beating August 2021 by 248 pax. The airport has now handled 1.7 million pax in the past 12 months or approximately 33.3% of pre-pandemic traffic. About 1.52 million of that total is in the past 9 months, which is approximately 44.5% of pre-pandemic traffic levels.

Sector / Apr-21 / Apr-22 / % Change
Dom: 20,716 / 187,290 / +804.1%
TB: 0 / 12,288 / #DIV/0!
Int'l: 0 / 8,395 / #DIV/0!
TTL: 20,716 / 207,973 / +903.9%

Sector / YTD 2021 / YTD 2022 / % Change
Dom: 95,827 / 549,738 / +473.7%
TB: 0 / 33,031 / #DIV/0!
Int'l: 0 / 42,722 / #DIV/0!
TTL: 95,827 / 625,491 / +552.7%

12 Months Rolling / % Change vs Year End 2020
Dom: 1,597,861 / +54.8%
TB: 44,273 / -72.9%
Int'l: 58,319 / -65.4%
TTL: 1,700,453 / +24.7%

The meaningful indicator these days for looking at trends
Month-Over-Month Change
Sector / Mar-21 / Apr-21 / % Change
Dom: 161,216 / 187,290 / +16.2%
TB: 10,204 / 12,288 / +20.4%
Int'l: 14,252 / 8,395 / -41.1%
TTL: 185,672 / 207,973 / +12.0%
Avg/Day: 5,989 / 6,932 / +15.7%

I would guess May will come in at around 240,000 pax which would be in line with circa 1994 pax levels.

casper May 25, 2022 2:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9632880)
No details on this police incident at YYJ. Airport is closed to commercial flights due to police call for service.

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-...celled-5402622

Check TV is saying it was something that looked like a bomb in a checked bag.

https://www.cheknews.ca/rcmp-inciden...ights-1034616/

Hopefully the CASTA people were mistaken. However it is probably better to be safe than sorry.

Looks like all flights from about 3 to 9 are cancelled or diverted.

Dominion301 May 25, 2022 2:28 AM

YYG 2020 & 2021 pax traffic number released: https://flyyyg.com/news/charlottetow...ublic-meeting/

-2021 saw 111,160 passengers go through YYG Charlottetown Airport.
-Passenger numbers were up 55% from the record low of 71,480 in 2020, but still only reached 29% of 2019 record levels.

Dominion301 May 25, 2022 2:34 AM

YQM 2021 pax and cargo results: https://cyqm.ca/news/greater-moncton...neral-meeting/

Quote:

As noted above, total passengers at YQM in 2021 were 177,040, a slight, 2.1% increase from 2020 but down 74% compared to pre-pandemic activity levels. The airport saw a slight increase of cargo activity of 247 metric tons (MT) over the prior year for a total of 20,624 MT over the course of 2021.

Dominion301 May 25, 2022 2:37 AM

Can't remember if YFC was already reported, but here it is: https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...-restrictions/

Quote:

COVID-19 travel restrictions continued to hamper travel in 2021, with 100,844 passengers travelling through the Fredericton International Airport (YFC)—a 75% drop in traffic compared to pre-pandemic activity.
YFC are forecasting 9% more capacity in summer 2022 than summer 2019: https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...n-ever-before/

Pretty remarkable given the loss of all service to YHZ.

magee_b May 25, 2022 8:38 AM

Will round out the big three in NB with YSJ

Quote:

The Saint John Airport saw a record 282,000 passengers in 2018 and more than 281,000 passengers in 2019.

But as the pandemic disrupted air travel, passenger volumes dropped to 59,000 in 2020 and 36,000 last year.

The airport’s latest forecast shows 146,000 passengers this year, gradually increasing to 288,000 in 2025.

“Forecasting passenger traffic in a post-pandemic world remains challenging and unpredictable,” said Ross.

“The good news is the Saint John market continues to be a very attractive one to our airline partners.”

YSJ is currently served by Air Canada and Flair Airlines, with Swoop scheduled to land for the first time on Thursday night.

Sunwing has confirmed it will be flying again in the fall, according to Ross, with the company expected to make an official announcement in the coming weeks.

Airport officials hope that PAL Airlines, which launched last July before pausing operations in the fall, will resume its Saint John-to-Halifax route sometime this year.
Source: https://www.country94.ca/2022/05/12/...normal-at-ysj/

2021 YSJ Annual Report here: http://saintjohnairport.com/assets/U...sh-M10-6pm.pdf

The airport terminal is currently undergoing a minor expansion/reconfiguration to handle the increase in flights / larger aircraft from Flair & Swoop.

Coldrsx May 25, 2022 3:25 PM

YYJ shutdown and flights diverted due to 'an incendiary device'?????

thenoflyzone May 25, 2022 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 9632980)
I think it’s safe to assume that YKF did their legal due diligence before deciding to offer exclusivity agreements.

Never assume anything.

You’d think the Flair legal team did their due diligence as well and had all bases covered, as far as them being a Canadian airline, and yet, the CTA investigation is ongoing.

The CTA could just as easily launch an investigation into this as well, now that its all public knowledge.

kwoldtimer May 25, 2022 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9633547)
Never assume anything.

You’d think the Flair legal team did their due diligence as well and had all bases covered, as far as them being a Canadian airline, and yet, the CTA investigation is ongoing.

The CTA could just as easily launch an investigation into this as well, now that its all public knowledge.

It has been public knowledge for years in KW. The Record reported on it at the time, when YKF announced the plan.

whatnext May 26, 2022 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9633003)
Check TV is saying it was something that looked like a bomb in a checked bag.

https://www.cheknews.ca/rcmp-inciden...ights-1034616/

Hopefully the CASTA people were mistaken. However it is probably better to be safe than sorry.

Looks like all flights from about 3 to 9 are cancelled or diverted.

Some moron trying to bring inert military explosives onboard in their baggage. Seriously, how dumb can you be?:koko:

casper May 26, 2022 2:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 9633856)
Some moron trying to bring inert military explosives onboard in their baggage. Seriously, how dumb can you be?:koko:

Yes, insane. It looks like they came to the conclusion he was harmless enough to let him go while he waits his court date.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-on-high-alert

Not certain I would left someone who try to bring surplus explosives onto an aircraft. There was some reports in social media that it was surplus grenades, but the media has not reported that yet.

hollywoodcory May 26, 2022 3:41 PM

YYC April 2022 Stats: (First month above 1 million pax since February 2020).

Domestic: 738,301 (+279.1%) YTD: 2,380,233 +201.57%
Transborder: 202,523 (+1535.6%) YTD: 586,315 +837.46%
International: 120,181 (+4554.6%) YTD: 398,139 +ALOT.
April Total: 1,061,005 +405.9

2022 YTD: 3,364,687 +282.15%

manny_santos May 26, 2022 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9633902)
Yes, insane. It looks like they came to the conclusion he was harmless enough to let him go while he waits his court date.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-on-high-alert

Not certain I would left someone who try to bring surplus explosives onto an aircraft. There was some reports in social media that it was surplus grenades, but the media has not reported that yet.

CHEK reported yesterday that it was two grenades.

cranes May 27, 2022 3:52 PM

The Waterloo Reigon record ran a story on YKF exclusivity agreements:

https://www.therecord.com/business/2...greements.html

Low-cost airline Swoop wants to fly you to Edmonton, Halifax from Waterloo Region, but can’t due to ‘monopolistic’ agreements
Exclusivity agreements allow carriers like Flair Airlines to have control over certain routes for a certain time frame
Brent Davis
By Brent DavisRecord Reporter
Thu., May 26, 2022timer4 min. read
updateArticle was updated 17 hrs ago
...
The destinations suggested by airport officials that aren’t covered by the exclusivity agreements — places like Regina, San Diego and Mazatlán, Mexico — do not represent “like-for-like market opportunities” compared to Edmonton or Halifax, which may appeal more to local travellers wanting to visit family or friends, the company said.

Airport director Chris Wood said YKF has exclusivity agreements with more than one airline, and said not all of Flair’s routes are exclusive. The agreements may provide exclusivity for up to three years.
.
“The purpose of time-limited exclusivity on new routes is to allow airlines willing to take a risk in establishing new routes out of YKF, to truly test the viability of those services,” Wood said in an email.

“The Region of Waterloo would welcome the opportunity to discuss establishing new routes out of YKF with any Canadian airline.”
.
Jones accused Swoop of copying much of Flair’s schedule nationally, saying that’s the type of behaviour the exclusivity agreements aim to prevent.

“It allows an entrepreneurial carrier time to establish a market without WestJet or its puppet, Swoop, dumping capacity and copying the innovator, and then disappearing again when their dirty work is done.”
.
Flair is just days away from learning if its licences will be suspended, as a federal regulator determines whether it is meeting rules on Canadian ownership.

A ruling is expected June 1; Flair has previously said it planned to ask the Canadian Transportation Agency for an 18-month extension so it could pay off debt to U.S. investors.

If the agency rules in Flair’s favour, Cummings said Swoop has asked the federal government to void the exclusivity arrangement with the regional airport; Swoop questions whether the Region has the authority to enter into such agreements in a federally regulated industry.

While he stressed he’s not a lawyer, aviation expert and McGill University lecturer John Gradek said he believes the agreements are above board.

“My take on it, understanding Canadian aviation practices and regulations in the Canadian environment, is that this is not illegal,” he said. “These landing agreements and these operating agreements are contractual, and you as an airport operator can decide who you want to contract with.”

Although exclusivity agreements aren’t common in Canada, they’re prevalent in the United States, especially among airports serving smaller communities, Gradek said.

Dominion301 May 27, 2022 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cranes (Post 9635263)
The Waterloo Reigon record ran a story on YKF exclusivity agreements:

https://www.therecord.com/business/2...greements.html

Low-cost airline Swoop wants to fly you to Edmonton, Halifax from Waterloo Region, but can’t due to ‘monopolistic’ agreements
Exclusivity agreements allow carriers like Flair Airlines to have control over certain routes for a certain time frame
Brent Davis
By Brent DavisRecord Reporter
Thu., May 26, 2022timer4 min. read
updateArticle was updated 17 hrs ago
...
The destinations suggested by airport officials that aren’t covered by the exclusivity agreements — places like Regina, San Diego and Mazatlán, Mexico — do not represent “like-for-like market opportunities” compared to Edmonton or Halifax, which may appeal more to local travellers wanting to visit family or friends, the company said.

Airport director Chris Wood said YKF has exclusivity agreements with more than one airline, and said not all of Flair’s routes are exclusive. The agreements may provide exclusivity for up to three years.
.
“The purpose of time-limited exclusivity on new routes is to allow airlines willing to take a risk in establishing new routes out of YKF, to truly test the viability of those services,” Wood said in an email.

“The Region of Waterloo would welcome the opportunity to discuss establishing new routes out of YKF with any Canadian airline.”
.
Jones accused Swoop of copying much of Flair’s schedule nationally, saying that’s the type of behaviour the exclusivity agreements aim to prevent.

“It allows an entrepreneurial carrier time to establish a market without WestJet or its puppet, Swoop, dumping capacity and copying the innovator, and then disappearing again when their dirty work is done.”
.
Flair is just days away from learning if its licences will be suspended, as a federal regulator determines whether it is meeting rules on Canadian ownership.

A ruling is expected June 1; Flair has previously said it planned to ask the Canadian Transportation Agency for an 18-month extension so it could pay off debt to U.S. investors.

If the agency rules in Flair’s favour, Cummings said Swoop has asked the federal government to void the exclusivity arrangement with the regional airport; Swoop questions whether the Region has the authority to enter into such agreements in a federally regulated industry.

While he stressed he’s not a lawyer, aviation expert and McGill University lecturer John Gradek said he believes the agreements are above board.

“My take on it, understanding Canadian aviation practices and regulations in the Canadian environment, is that this is not illegal,” he said. “These landing agreements and these operating agreements are contractual, and you as an airport operator can decide who you want to contract with.”

Although exclusivity agreements aren’t common in Canada, they’re prevalent in the United States, especially among airports serving smaller communities, Gradek said.

I love Jones' bluntness: "Swoop is WestJet's flanker brand to put our airline and YKF airport's dominant carrier our of business and then leave. They're free to come in here any time to launch something we don't already do".

He also knows he's got the WestJet bull by the horns because if WS ever dropped YKF-YYC, he knows Flair will "swoop" (lol) right in the very next day onto that. I guess like back in the day with Porter sticking it to AC, it's only 'unfair' if the little guy beats the big guy at their own game.

whatnext May 27, 2022 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9635322)
I love Jones' bluntness: "Swoop is WestJet's flanker brand to put our airline and YKF airport's dominant carrier our of business and then leave. They're free to come in here any time to launch something we don't already do".

He also knows he's got the WestJet bull by the horns because if WS ever dropped YKF-YYC, he knows Flair will "swoop" (lol) right in the very next day onto that. I guess like back in the day with Porter sticking it to AC, it's only 'unfair' if the little guy beats the big guy at their own game.

Easy for Jones to say, when he's violating Canadian regulations regarding ownership that Westjet and AC have to play by. Is Flair a business trying to turn a profit or are they just a vehicle to shovel lease payment profits to a US investment fund...

Dominion301 May 28, 2022 1:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 9635428)
Easy for Jones to say, when he's violating Canadian regulations regarding ownership that Westjet and AC have to play by. Is Flair a business trying to turn a profit or are they just a vehicle to shovel lease payment profits to a US investment fund...

I guess we'll find out that answer from the CTA next week. Ownership % was never the issue. The issue is whether the debt and former board structure was 'effective foreign control'. Now that Flair have restructured their board, the arguments about control hold far less water.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.