SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Chadillaccc Aug 30, 2013 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 6249826)
Yeah, I initially thought it was like Montreal-Toronto as well when I went there. But noooo.

And I also thought the same of Sydney-Brisbane was the same. But it's about 1000 km -there also a good portion of the route is two lanes undivided, and passes through towns. Though once again things are being upgraded there.

I knew Brisbane was very far from Sydney but I had no idea Melbourne was that far. I guess we kind of just all think of Southeastern Australia as being closely analogous of the Quebec City - Windsor corridor, but what we have to realize is that the QC - W corridor is virtually the entire population of Australia, and growing nearly as fast. The distance between Melbourne and Brisbane is 1700 KM, while the distance between Windsor and QC is only 1100 km. In fact, if we want to go to the full extent of the analogy, SE Aus also includes Adelaide, which is over 2000 km from Brisbane at the shortest driving route. So it is pretty much beyond comparison. I didn't realize that the area of SE Aus was virtually twice that of Windsor QC before doing this research. Very illuminating.

Acajack Aug 30, 2013 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick (Post 6249951)
"Other Canadians" have family spread out around the WORLD.

Well, some of them do but not all of them of course. Likely a higher percentage of them do though due to higher proportions of immigrants within the population.

J.OT13 Aug 30, 2013 6:32 PM

The Gatineau-Ottawa "Executive" Airport (which is really just Gatineau pathetic little airport, Canada's busiest airport without a control tower according to Wikipedia) has flights to the Montreal St-Hubert Airport and Québec City. Not sure how many passengers these flights carry.

I've mentioned this before but considering the huge population of the Québec City-Windsor corridor, home to 3 of the 4 largest cities and 6 of the 10 largest metropolitan areas, I think high speed rail should be priority for the Feds. IMO, VIA rail is a national embarrassment.

Rico Rommheim Aug 30, 2013 6:37 PM

Like, 3.

Acajack Aug 30, 2013 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.OT13 (Post 6250024)
The Gatineau-Ottawa "Executive" Airport (which is really just Gatineau pathetic little airport, Canada's busiest airport without a control tower according to Wikipedia) has flights to the Montreal St-Hubert Airport and Québec City. Not sure how many passengers these flights carry.

International code YND!

Good for looking up weather data too.

My wife has taken flights for business trips out of there on occasion.

I reckon that almost all passenger traffic there is on a corporate (public or private) dime of some sort.

Calgarian Aug 30, 2013 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.OT13 (Post 6250024)

I've mentioned this before but considering the huge population of the Québec City-Windsor corridor, home to 3 of the 4 largest cities and 6 of the 10 largest metropolitan areas, I think high speed rail should be priority for the Feds. IMO, VIA rail is a national embarrassment.

2 of the 4 largest cities now :tup:

Jamaican-Phoenix Aug 30, 2013 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 6250063)

By metro we're still slightly bigger. :tup:

J.OT13 Aug 30, 2013 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 6250063)

If your talking about the city proper, Ottawa is bigger than Vancouver. If you're talking about Metro, Ottawa still has a slight edge over Calgary.

Coldrsx Aug 30, 2013 9:00 PM

AWESOME - YEG

Looks like @FlyEIA is set to announce a new INTERNATIONAL destination. Details on Tuesday. #yeg #goodnews @globaledmonton #whereintheworld

Likely KEF

kwoldtimer Aug 30, 2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 6250214)
AWESOME - YEG

Looks like @FlyEIA is set to announce a new INTERNATIONAL destination. Details on Tuesday. #yeg #goodnews @globaledmonton #whereintheworld

Likely KEF

Reykjavik? Really?

Coldrsx Aug 30, 2013 10:13 PM

^that's the rumour. Icelandair was looking at 4 new markets/destinations, YEG was one of them. Great connection to Europe.

CanadianCentaur Aug 30, 2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.OT13 (Post 6248904)
Vancouver lead the way with downtown-airport rail link when they built the Canada line for the 2010 Olympics and Toronto is finally building a long overdue link to Pearson International but are their any other cities taking a serious look into a Downtown-Airport link?

I know Edmonton is looking at extending the LRT from Century Park (the southernmost ETS LRT station at present), but that's most likely decades away at the very least. I might be dead before they actually get started on it. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwood (Post 6249093)
Also some cities have multiple airports making the codes very important. I was on the Underground to Heathrow earlier this month and half way there some guy realized his flight was actually leaving from London City Airport instead. I doubt he made his flight.

Oh yeah, for sure! People ending up at wrong airports in the same city and thus missing flights are a very common thing worldwide.

I used to hear quite a bit about passengers ending up at the wrong airport in Edmonton before the consolidation of most scheduled passenger service at YEG back in the late 1990s. And I'm sure quite a few passengers trying to fly out of Montreal had the same problem when airlines were still flying into Mirabel.

Most average travelers who are not pilots or working in the aviation industry likely may not even know their local airport's IATA and/or ICAO codes*. This can not only result in them coming to the wrong airport of origin, but also flying into the wrong destination. Especially when airline reservation staff screw up on inputting the wrong airport code and the poor schmuck doesn't even realize until it's too late because he doesn't know anything about airport codes. Such as ending up in Sydney, Nova Scotia instead of Sydney, Australia, for instance - it's surprising how often this happens.

*As if things aren't more confusing, there's not just one set of airport codes, but two used by each separate outfit. IATA (International Air Transportation Association) airport codes are the three-letter ones most commonly seen. ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) uses a four-letter coding for airports worldwide.

Although most IATA airport codes for many large airports outside of Canada are fairly easy to recognize, some are just as bad or even worse than Canadian codes. Try KAN, for instance. You'd think that's for Kansas City, but not so. KAN is the IATA code for Kano, Nigeria. Kansas City's real IATA code is MCI. MCI stands for its former name - Mid-Continental International Airport.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadillaccc (Post 6248911)
They're just airport codes. For some reason, Canada didn't get their city names as acronyms for their airport codes like American cities, but most Canadian cities have at least the first letter of the city name in their code, like YVR for Vancouver, YYC for Calgary, and YEG for Edmonton, among others.

Larger Canadian airports, yes, but smaller airports are even trickier to recognize. Such as YQU for Grande Prairie. They could've used YGP, but that's for Michel-Pouliot Gaspé Airport in Gaspé, Quebec.

SkydivePilot Sep 2, 2013 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker (Post 6248705)
Plus Calgary is pretty far away from other major cities, save for Edmonton.

Calgary/Vancouver are not far apart at all.

Coldrsx Sep 2, 2013 6:26 PM

As posted on C2E

Confirmed it's Icelandair. Starting June 4.

dep YEG 6:30 pm arr KEF 6:50 am
dep KEF 4:45 pm arr YEG 5:30 pm

Boeing 757

Frequency TBA

Rusty van Reddick Sep 2, 2013 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 6252168)
As posted on C2E

Confirmed it's Icelandair. Starting June 4.

dep YEG 6:30 pm arr KEF 6:50 am
dep KEF 4:45 pm arr YEG 5:30 pm

Boeing 757

Frequency TBA

Congrats to YEG!

isaidso Sep 3, 2013 5:49 AM

Does Icelandair still fly out of Halifax?

Wishblade Sep 3, 2013 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 6252701)
Does Icelandair still fly out of Halifax?

Yep, it has daily flights to Reykjavik and has for quite some time now.

MonctonRad Sep 3, 2013 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishblade (Post 6252862)
Yep, it has daily flights to Reykjavik and has for quite some time now.

Keflavik actually, and a great airline it is too! The next time I go to Eurpoe I think I might use them again....... :tup:

Coldrsx Sep 3, 2013 3:10 PM

Yeah, looking forward to using it to connect to Euro, shame it is not until June 4th that it is starting.

Coldrsx Sep 3, 2013 4:38 PM

Apparently it is 4x weekly starting March 26!!!