SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Offshore1 Jul 24, 2016 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7511020)
Drove by Ropewalk Lane today and noticed some major work being done on the old former Dominion store there. Also noticed that an approval was granted in the City of St John's commercial proposals for 50 Ropewalk Lane which is the Dominion location. It did not specify though what was going there. Anybody hear of what it might be?

Good to hear of some activity at that vacant site. Hopefully there's something in the works for the Newfoundland Dr. location too.
There are a few positive things going on despite our current economy. This recent story about business on Elizabeth Ave highlights some of them. With a few apartment buildings this area could be similar to Quinpool Road in Halifax - maybe.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...-new-1.3690813

wmemeadusjr Jul 25, 2016 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7511020)
Drove by Ropewalk Lane today and noticed some major work being done on the old former Dominion store there. Also noticed that an approval was granted in the City of St John's commercial proposals for 50 Ropewalk Lane which is the Dominion location. It did not specify though what was going there. Anybody hear of what it might be?

I heard Dollarama, but that was over a year ago.

Arrakis Jul 26, 2016 5:01 AM

That would be a good choice for that space. The demographic for Dollarama in that area is perfect.

Lord knows they don't need any more eateries on Ropwalk Lane where there are at least 8 places (maybe more) where you can buy lunch or have a sit down meal. Who knew? Lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7512153)
I heard Dollarama, but that was over a year ago.

wmemeadusjr Jul 26, 2016 10:47 PM

If not Dollarama, then maybe Shoppers Drug Mart. I heard they were looking for a more modern replacement for the Freshwater@Empire location, which is not too far away from Ropewalk Lane. Couple this with the fact that Loblaws had the lease on the building, and that Loblaws now own Shoppers Drug Mart, this might be a viable option. The building is actually big enough to house both businesses, but the configuration of it with the parking lot would not work in my opinion.

J_Murphy Jul 27, 2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 7513566)
If not Dollarama, then maybe Shoppers Drug Mart. I heard they were looking for a more modern replacement for the Freshwater@Empire location, which is not too far away from Ropewalk Lane. Couple this with the fact that Loblaws had the lease on the building, and that Loblaws now own Shoppers Drug Mart, this might be a viable option. The building is actually big enough to house both businesses, but the configuration of it with the parking lot would not work in my opinion.

I think that Shoppers has plans to replace the Empire location at the same site. I believe they recently purchased two properties on Freshwater, or already owned them. Netherworld moved last year, I'm guessing because Shoppers wanted to demolish it to make room for a new store. There was a drill rig on site last year doing some geotechnical/environmental work.

Also, there is a shoppers on Lemarchant which is less than 1 km from Ropewalk lane.

Arrakis Jul 28, 2016 3:40 AM

Is anyone else surprised that Shoppers Drugmart does not have a location in the Kenmount Road area or that part of town? Especially with Kenmount Terrace getting larger and larger. I am surprised they haven't built one on Kesley Drive. The only drug store servicing that entire part of town is the tiny Lawtons in the mall.

Has anyone heard anything about the future of Woodgate Plaza now that 90% of the tennants have vacated. Leon's, Dooleys, Quiznos, TD Bank are all gone now?
All I heard was that the Avalon Mall who owns the property are planning on reconfiguring it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7513976)
I think that Shoppers has plans to replace the Empire location at the same site. I believe they recently purchased two properties on Freshwater, or already owned them. Netherworld moved last year, I'm guessing because Shoppers wanted to demolish it to make room for a new store. There was a drill rig on site last year doing some geotechnical/environmental work.

Also, there is a shoppers on Lemarchant which is less than 1 km from Ropewalk lane.

J_Murphy Jul 28, 2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7514902)
Is anyone else surprised that Shoppers Drugmart does not have a location in the Kenmount Road area or that part of town? Especially with Kenmount Terrace getting larger and larger. I am surprised they haven't built one on Kesley Drive. The only drug store servicing that entire part of town is the tiny Lawtons in the mall.

Has anyone heard anything about the future of Woodgate Plaza now that 90% of the tennants have vacated. Leon's, Dooleys, Quiznos, TD Bank are all gone now?
All I heard was that the Avalon Mall who owns the property are planning on reconfiguring it.

Yeah, it is strange....Sobeys and Wal-Mart both have pharmacies and sell most things that you could buy in a Shoppers/Lawtons though.

J_Murphy Jul 29, 2016 10:52 AM

Looks like they are prepping for a building in front of Golf Town on the corner of Aberdeen and White Rose. Anyone know what the plan is for here?

Horsell Jul 29, 2016 11:49 AM

I noticed that last week. I seem to recall seeing a plot plan a few years ago that had that area labelled as a restaurant but I haven't seen or heard anything in any council documents recently that would confirm this. I also noticed that the fence around the undeveloped area to the west of the GolfTown strip has been removed. I guess nothing is going to be added there anytime soon even though the developer went to council last year to look for concessions on required parking.

AnUrbanLife Jul 29, 2016 2:11 PM

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had info on the Yellowbelly outlet location on the corner of Prescott and Bond?? There are renovations going on inside but I'm sure to what end.

Thanks.

J_Murphy Jul 29, 2016 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife (Post 7516241)
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had info on the Yellowbelly outlet location on the corner of Prescott and Bond?? There are renovations going on inside but I'm sure to what end.

Thanks.

Been like that for years and I don't even think they know. I've asked YellowBelly a couple of times and either didn't receive an answer or they just say they don't know. It will be much more convenient for returning bottles if it ever happens.

AnUrbanLife Jul 29, 2016 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7516251)
Been like that for years and I don't even think they know. I've asked YellowBelly a couple of times and either didn't receive an answer or they just say they don't know. It will be much more convenient for returning bottles if it ever happens.

Ok thanks. I've just noticed semi daily work ongoing inside and had no idea why. Is it still owned by Yellowbelly? Or has someone else bought it?
Anyone know?

Marty_Mcfly Jul 30, 2016 1:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife (Post 7516241)
Hey all,

Thanks.

I believe it was a shop to buy malts and return bottles and possibly buy product which never got off the ground. I'm surprised they're still holding on to that location to be quite honest.

EDIT: if there's work happening there then it's a high possibility that YB sold the space to someone else.

wmemeadusjr Jul 30, 2016 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 7514902)

I was always surprised by this as well. A good spot for Shoppers, in my opinion would be near Avalon Ford. Eventually, the Wyatt/Mount Carson intersection is to be made into a 4-way with a small commercial area leading into more residential. A few businesses in this spot would greatly benefit from Kenmount Terrace, Elisabeth Park, and the north part of Mount Pearl.

As for Woodgate, I've heard all kinds of rumors, from tearing it down and building smaller stores, a hotel, linking it with the mall....you name it. But as I said, all rumors, nothing in print...just here say. I can assume the plans for this will be part of the "Big Proposal" that the owners of the Avalon mall will be coming to city council with. The proposal is supposed to be a plan for the entire area and is to include the realignment of the mall intersection with Polina Road. The city have been after the mall for years to do this. Of course, if the mall goes ahead with this, they will want something in return such as rezoning to allow a parking lot full of free standing structures such as restaurants.

rthomasd Jul 31, 2016 12:32 AM

At the last council meeting there was some off-the-cuff talk that the Mall entrance realignment work was to start any day now with completion early Fall.

Horsell Jul 31, 2016 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 7517581)
At the last council meeting there was some off-the-cuff talk that the Mall entrance realignment work was to start any day now with completion early Fall.

There was a tender awarded for "engineering" the intersection this week. I have my doubts that any real work will start anytime soon...but one can always hope.

J_Murphy Aug 9, 2016 12:15 PM

I noticed in the City economic update that Dollarama is approved for Elizabeth Ave next to Leons.

Arrakis Aug 9, 2016 1:43 PM

Yeah I heard about that some time ago just as a rumour. Dollarama seems to be on a growth spurt. I also heard (rumour) that they are gonna be opening in the old Dominion location on Ropewalk Lane. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 7525624)
I noticed in the City economic update that Dollarama is approved for Elizabeth Ave next to Leons.

jeddy1989 Aug 9, 2016 3:55 PM

There's a new rumour a la H&M.
Word on the street is that Fog city is packing up and H&M will be taking their place. Seems small at first glance but when you consider that they could take the Fog City space as well as the adjoining former glow mini golf space, it's large enough.

Anyone know anything about this? ... sad that we have Victoria Secret, Sephora, Lulu Lemon and others before a frigging H&M lol.

J_Murphy Aug 9, 2016 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 7525820)
There's a new rumour a la H&M.
Word on the street is that Fog city is packing up and H&M will be taking their place. Seems small at first glance but when you consider that they could take the Fog City space as well as the adjoining former glow mini golf space, it's large enough.

Anyone know anything about this? ... sad that we have Victoria Secret, Sephora, Lulu Lemon and others before a frigging H&M lol.

Strange you say this as I heard last week about H&M coming to St. John's. Just dismissed it as it has now been rumored for years. I heard nothing about location though.