PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Hotels

gjhall
Sep 2, 2011, 2:19 PM
So, we now have some proof that there's demand for some new hotel space downtown. Thought it would be fun for us to talk about brands and locations, so I will get the ball rolling.

I'd love to see a boutique hotel like they mention in the article at the corner of Dalhousie and York, replacing the surface parking lot at the Courtyard Marriott. Probably around 8 storeys. Could be Le Germain, Ace, or Thompson perhaps.

Also, the Rideau Centre could add a 30+ storey hotel on the Nicholas Street side and wrap it into their expansion plans. Hyatt would probably fit here.

Thoughts?

"Mark Sutcliffe: Convention Centre has the space, but lack of hotel rooms means big conferences still bypass Ottawa

By Mark Sutcliffe, The Ottawa Citizen September 1, 2011

Not long ago, Ottawa was in the running to host a major global event for polar countries. The city’s bid had a lot going for it. It was Canada’s turn to be the host country and the capital was offering its stunning new convention centre as the main venue.

“It was an international convention that would have brought delegates from all over the world, from places like Scandinavia and South America,” says Pat Kelly, the chief executive of the Ottawa Convention Centre. “We were looking at about 2,500 delegates in for about three nights. So it was a significant piece of business.

“We went down the road a considerable distance with the organizers,” says Kelly. “And they were really favouring Ottawa and loved the new convention centre.”

The new meeting space was certainly large enough to host the meetings and the event planners, according to Kelly, loved the city. But there was one problem: the city had barely enough hotel rooms. Attendees would have to be squeezed into every available bed across downtown, possibly in up to a dozen different hotels.

That wouldn’t be ideal for the delegates, who prefer to be accessible to one another and as close as possible to the convention site. And it would be particularly problematic for the organizers, who would have to negotiate a separate agreement with each individual partner hotel.

“In order to put the room block together, it was going to require somewhere between 10 and 12 hotel contracts,” says Kelly. “This is something that the vast majority of convention planners steer clear of.

“So we lost the bid to another city where they could deal with three or four hotels instead.”

That isn’t the only time a lack of sufficient hotel space has been an issue since Ottawa began marketing its spiffy new meeting space. Kelly says the city has lost three or four fairly significant conventions to other Canadian cities when the capital either came up short on total room inventory or competitors could offer a shorter list of larger hotels for planners to work with.

The majority of events that the convention centre pursues aren’t large enough to tax the city’s hotel-room inventory. But now that Ottawa has a more spacious meeting facility, it’s on the radar of organizers of larger events coming from the U.S. and Europe. For those bigger conventions, Ottawa is meeting requirements for meeting space but not hotel rooms.

Some existing hoteliers might not welcome new competition, but the reality is this: Where Ottawa’s main obstacle to attracting large events used to be a lack of convention space, it’s now a shortage of beds.

“We need another 600 or 700 hotel rooms in the core,” says Kelly. “The convention centre didn’t used to be able to fill the hotel inventory; now it’s the other way around.”

Any new inventory would be welcome, but Kelly would like to see at least one or two large hotels built so that event planners can house their delegates in a small number of locations rather than have them spread all over the city.

One potential obstacle to new hotel construction, however, is the fact that the city reinstated development charges for downtown. New projects in the city centre used to be exempt from the fees but city council reintroduced them a few weeks ago.

The new charges were supported by the homebuilding industry, which worked with city officials on a plan to make them manageable for new residential construction. But the return of development charges may scare off some potential commercial builders who were interested in creating hotel space.

For a new downtown condominium project that is subject to development charges, the builder can pass the cost on to the buyers. And since every new project faces the same fees, it’s a level playing field.

Unlike condos, however, new hotels have to compete with older facilities that were built before the development charges were reinstated. That means the new hotel will have a higher cost structure to pass on to its customers, putting it at a competitive disadvantage.

A representative of one builder told me recently that his client was interested in building a boutique hotel with about 100 rooms in the ByWard Market. But development charges might make the project cost-prohibitive. He would like to see city council exempt hotels from the fees.

Whether city hall goes that far, it should encourage the development of new hotel properties in the downtown core so the tourism industry can fully capitalize on its new convention centre.

“We’ve made this investment, we have this wonderful new facility,” says Kelly. “Ideally you’d like to have all the parts in place so you can be as competitive as you can be.”

kevinbottawa
Sep 2, 2011, 3:40 PM
It makes Ottawa look stupid by building this nice convention centre (and CE Centre) and not being prepared. Jim Watson announced he wanted a new 500-room hotel but that was late and it was more to cater to a planned increase in Chinese tourism (10,000 visitors over two years). That wasn't even considering the current needs of the convention centre. I just came back from visiting Toronto and it seems they're more proactive than Ottawa. By the time there are enough rooms in Ottawa there will be newer convention centres like the one they're building in Halifax. You would think that someone, perhaps the hotel association, would've known there weren't enough rooms downtown.

When it comes to hotel brands I'd like to see Four Seasons because their buildings are usually designed well, their brand says "quality" and would help to raise the profile of the city, and they have a good following. Four Seasons just seems big/major city to me. The fact that they're Canadian is a plus. I also wouldn't mind Intercontinental.

If we were to see a boutique hotel I'd like a SOHO Metropolitan hotel; I just saw the Toronto one up close the other day and it's pretty good. The hotel inspired SOHO condos seem to be doing well in Ottawa so I'd love to see them expand the brand into hotels in our city.

I also like the idea of Hyatt and Le Germain. Hyatt would help to raise the profile of the city; again it says quality and big/major city to me. When it comes to Le Germain, aside from being quality and being well-designed, as a bilingual city Le Germain could help to push Ottawa's reputation as a bilingual city. It could also become the hotel of choice for visitors from Montreal and Quebec City.

adam-machiavelli
Sep 2, 2011, 8:14 PM
I think Sutcliffe's idea that hotels shouldn't pay development charges is pretty ridiculous. Relative to the entire budget of new development, development charges form a very small part and if they don't pay, someone else (such as new condo owners) will have to pay more. This is just another example of Citizen journalists not understanding how municipal planning works.

Richard Eade
Sep 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
I admit I know very little about the hotel business. Are hotels like roadways; does the need expand to fill the capacity? Should we be planning for the 'peak' usage of hotels or the 'off-peak' normal usage? In Ottawa, is there a chronic shortage of hotel space? What is the vacancy rate in Ottawa now? If another 600-700 rooms appeared, would they normally be able to be filled? If there are only a couple of HUGE events needing more space per year, is it financially reasonable to build a new hotel just for those?

I think it is all very fine to tell someone else to “Build 10 giant hotels so we can get one really big convention.” But is it reasonable? Why didn’t the Convention Centre include a 600 room hotel in their plans; even if it was actually built and run by another company?

All that said; the 150th Birthday of Canada is coming up in 2017 so it would be nice to have somewhere for people to stay downtown; since the transit system is going to be in a bit of a mess. If the planning started now, it might be possible to have all the red-tape covered and the hotel built by 2017 – including the OMB appeal, of course.

TransitZilla
Sep 3, 2011, 3:03 AM
I think Sutcliffe's idea that hotels shouldn't pay development charges is pretty ridiculous. Relative to the entire budget of new development, development charges form a very small part and if they don't pay, someone else (such as new condo owners) will have to pay more. This is just another example of Citizen journalists not understanding how municipal planning works.

If a lack of hotels are limiting our ability to attract events to the extent claimed, I think there would be an argument to exempt them from development charges on the basis of the economic benefit they would provide, which would be ongoing and higher than condos.

m0nkyman
Sep 3, 2011, 4:20 AM
What hotel was built during the development tax holiday? The holiday started in 1994, and I'm having a hard time thinking of a hotel built in the last 16 years. ARC maybe, but I think that was a just a brand change. Brookstreet isn't downtown.

Hotels built before that paid the development tax, or are old enough that it wouldn't matter anyway.

adam-machiavelli
Sep 3, 2011, 5:43 AM
If a lack of hotels are limiting our ability to attract events to the extent claimed, I think there would be an argument to exempt them from development charges on the basis of the economic benefit they would provide, which would be ongoing and higher than condos.

So you prefer subsidizing big business from the wallets of ordinary Canadians? The benefits would never outweigh the costs.

Also, development charges aren't taxes. Stop calling them taxes! They are the necessary fees required to cover the cost of new urban construction.

reidjr
Sep 3, 2011, 10:46 AM
So you prefer subsidizing big business from the wallets of ordinary Canadians? The benefits would never outweigh the costs.

Also, development charges aren't taxes. Stop calling them taxes! They are the necessary fees required to cover the cost of new urban construction.

The thing is it would create jobs etc so while its easy to look at it and say the city should not subsidizing business its important to keep in mind that big projects do create jobs.

adam-machiavelli
Sep 3, 2011, 3:03 PM
Subsidizing big business never creates jobs. It only moves jobs. Ask Rick Perry. He can tell you all about that.

acottawa
Sep 3, 2011, 8:58 PM
It would be nice if the article said who "won" the polar conference, it might give an idea whether Ottawa could have competed, even if another large hotel existed. Out of curiosity, I just did a quick expedia search for tomorrow night. Despite being a long weekend, nearly every hotel downtown has availability, many at deep discounts, which may be a clue as to why nobody has built a major hotel downtown in decades.

eternallyme
Sep 3, 2011, 10:05 PM
It would be nice if the article said who "won" the polar conference, it might give an idea whether Ottawa could have competed, even if another large hotel existed. Out of curiosity, I just did a quick expedia search for tomorrow night. Despite being a long weekend, nearly every hotel downtown has availability, many at deep discounts, which may be a clue as to why nobody has built a major hotel downtown in decades.

The downtown IMO does not need more hotels, it is well-served. If there is a shortage it is in the suburbs where there are very few for a city of its size.

reidjr
Sep 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
The downtown IMO does not need more hotels, it is well-served. If there is a shortage it is in the suburbs where there are very few for a city of its size.

Ottawa could use more hotels downtown and for the burbs some areas might be acking but in some areas there are plenty of hotels.

kwoldtimer
Sep 4, 2011, 3:33 PM

I assume it would be somewhat higher downtown, but hotel occupancy for Ottawa has held below 70% for most of the past three years, as I understand it.

bikegypsy
Sep 4, 2011, 4:05 PM

Ottawa is screaming for more hotels downtown.

McC
Sep 6, 2011, 12:00 PM
Ottawa is screaming for more hotels downtown.

what does this mean if rooms are vacant? which part of Ottawa do you mean is "screaming"?

reidjr
Sep 6, 2011, 1:32 PM
Subsidizing big business never creates jobs. It only moves jobs. Ask Rick Perry. He can tell you all about that.

It does to a degree if you give a local company a tax discount there likly going to remain in town.

gjhall
Sep 6, 2011, 2:41 PM
It does to a degree if you give a local company a tax discount there likly going to remain in town.

Not for things like hotels. They can't locate randomly based on tax incentives, as their location is their raison d'etre. This may be true for a small manufacturing company, but not 1st tier services.

kevinbottawa
Sep 6, 2011, 9:32 PM
what does this mean if rooms are vacant? which part of Ottawa do you mean is "screaming"?

According to an article in the OBJ a few months ago the new hotel in Orleans is even getting business from the convention centre. If people have to stay that far away from downtown when there's an event on I'd say there's demand. Plus the mayor wants to attract 10,000 new tourists from China over two years

jitterbug
Sep 7, 2011, 4:13 PM
I don't know much about the hotel business other than from the customer side, but I assume that if there's sufficient demand in a particular area a hotel operator will want in on the action. This news story may already have attracted attention so perhaps we'll see more rooms being built downtown in the next few years. My neighbour was the GM of the newly rebranded Delta on Lyon, but has to work in Montreal now because he was replaced. I'm sure he would be happy to manage a new major hotel in Ottawa given the opportunity! (Speaking of which, that hotel, which originally opened in the late 1960s as the Skyline, is slated for a major renovation. Unfortunately though, that won't add any new rooms.)

Uhuniau
Sep 7, 2011, 5:17 PM
According to an article in the OBJ a few months ago the new hotel in Orleans is even getting business from the convention centre. If people have to stay that far away from downtown when there's an event on I'd say there's demand. Plus the mayor wants to attract 10,000 new tourists from China over two years

That's 28 Chinese tourist room-nights a year, assuming they all take separate rooms.

Ottawan
Sep 7, 2011, 5:24 PM
(Speaking of which, that hotel, which originally opened in the late 1960s as the Skyline, is slated for a major renovation. Unfortunately though, that won't add any new rooms.)

True, but that hotel being taken over by the hotel across the street and renovated addresses the other concern of conference planners, according to the article that spawned this thread: the number of entities that needs to be negotiated with to acquire a sufficient number of hotel rooms. By amalgamating two of Ottawa's midsize hotels under a single management operation, this makes the logistics of bringing delegates to Ottawa easier.

Better yet for these two hotels will be when the LRT tunnel is done, as they should connect to each other and to the downtown west station directly under Queen street, and then be a very short subway ride away from popping out directly into the Convention Centre.

Ottawan
Sep 21, 2011, 1:22 PM
I am by no means in any way an expert on the hotel industry. However, a bit of information found in the Annual Development Report seems to suggest that those who are calling for a new downtown hotel are correct: Ottawa had the 2nd highest hotel occupancy rate amongst major Canadian cities in 2010 at 67% (page v)

In other words, while 67% occupancy on its face might not sound like a tight market, it probably in fact means exactly that.

Kitchissippi
Sep 24, 2011, 1:51 PM
They've been running these 15 second ads to promote longer stays:

YrXfcIh7e-w

7ltC_oG1MvE

lwZFhou2O-8

Some hotels show this video on their internal channel:

wdnWwBkMWq0